Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #1,832 of 2,566
Hi all,

Anybody compared SE 5 vs Custom Art pro 330 version 2?

I read in this thread they shared a similar tuning.

Many thanks!

very interested too !

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,834 of 2,566
Thank you :) could you say us what you mean about the sense of space of both ?

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,836 of 2,566
The Pro330 is more revealing and correct somehow. I'm talking about the whole image not micro details, SE5 to me is still the king of micro details. It's difficult to say about sound signature (treble, bass, soundstage).. the Pro330 changes quite a lot depending on your file/mastering quality while the SE5 is more forgiving.
When playing the same good mastering files, the SE5 is more fun while Pro330 keeps being true to the source. For example Relaxin' album from Miles Davis, SE5 will smoothen the treble a bit so it is less sharp to the ear, while Pro330 produce the annoying high of Miles' trumpet faithfully. For fun listening I would definitely use SE5 but for professional stage/mastering purpose I would go with Pro330, no doubt.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,837 of 2,566
Thank you Jazzyfi.

Indeed Custom Art Pro 330 is a best kept secret that soon will take its place amongst totl ciems.

A great review like yours is a very important source of information.

Perhaps should get both SE5 and CA p330 as they complement each other: fun vs mastering grade.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,838 of 2,566
It doesn't necessarily mean that a CIEM with more forgiving characteristics is "fun". The SE5 is really incredibly revealing. Even more so If you feed the SE5 with good music. I for myself don't think that more forgiving characteristics are disadvantages.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,839 of 2,566
Where did he say that being more forgiving is a disadvantage? My SE5 tends to be quite unforgiving in the mid-range while more forgiving in the bass and treble department. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,840 of 2,566
I never say SE5 more forgiving characteristic as disadvantage. It is more forgiving than Pro330, period. It is SE5's character, not disadvantage. And I also said the SE5 is still the king of micro detail.

Quote:
  It doesn't necessarily mean that a CIEM with more forgiving characteristics is "fun". The SE5 is really incredibly revealing. Even more so If you feed the SE5 with good music. I for myself don't think that more forgiving characteristics are disadvantages.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,841 of 2,566
Jazzyfi, in what sense SE 5way is more superior to pro330 in terms of micro details. Does the micro details are pushed forward in SE 5way and are somehow hidden in pro330 or is it something else?

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #1,843 of 2,566
Can anyone say anything with SE5WAY with Classical music?

How is soundstage or instrument separation?

Instrumental separation and placement are awesome. Soundstage? I can't comment on that much since I don't have any other high end ciems to compare but to my ears, they are quite large and very 3d. Maybe a tad more depth than wide. Is it the biggest soundstage in c/iems? I doubt it but it is for sure one of the best ones I believe.

I like it with classical, micro details and transparency are just unmatchable. However after some point, it comes to personal preferences, I like the way they reproduce the music but it might not suit everyone.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,844 of 2,566
  Where did he say that being more forgiving is a disadvantage? My SE5 tends to be quite unforgiving in the mid-range while more forgiving in the bass and treble department. 

I didn't say that he said that. It is my opinion. "I for myself don't think that more forgiving characteristics are disadvantages" <-- I didn't blame anybody 

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #1,845 of 2,566
Instrumental separation and placement are awesome. Soundstage? I can't comment on that much since I don't have any other high end ciems to compare but to my ears, they are quite large and very 3d. Maybe a tad more depth than wide. Is it the biggest soundstage in c/iems? I doubt it but it is for sure one of the best ones I believe.

I like it with classical, micro details and transparency are just unmatchable. However after some point, it comes to personal preferences, I like the way they reproduce the music but it might not suit everyone.

Thank you so much for the reply
God I hate that it only ships to EU countries. I have to use a proxy shipping company GOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back