Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #1,801 of 2,566
DHC Fusion is also silver copper and works well sound wise...to be honest I did not detect a night and day difference with my Oslo II silver cable.

By the way my Oslo II is up for sale since I have balanced cables now: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698926/brand-new-beat-oslo-ii-occ-silver-cable-custom-for-spiral-ear-se5-works-with-others

I ordered the new Whiplash gold PLATED silver cable for my NT6 but also eager to try with the SE5.

Oh god, if I wasn't saving up for a dap (either X5 or DX90 apparently) I would buy them now. Anyway good luck on your sale mate, I will probably miss them but they look absolutely gorgeous.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #1,803 of 2,566
They are great...a bit thick but top build quality.

Let's imagine they will stay on sale several months and after I get a dap I can still get the cable
happy_face1.gif
I don't think so, I think you gonna sell them pretty quick, including including and pp fees.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #1,804 of 2,566
Let's imagine they will stay on sale several months and after I get a dap I can still get the cable :happy_face1: I don't think so, I think you gonna sell them pretty quick, including including and pp fees.
Not so sure...high end cables do not sell so well...and If one day I buy the Calyx or Hugo, I would sell the 901 and not need balanced cables...

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #1,806 of 2,566
Can someone teach me what does it mean by the word "intimate" and "oomph" in terms of sound? 

I always see these two words, but can't really understand the true meaning in terms of frequency response. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,808 of 2,566
  As for oomph, I think it doesn't have a real meaning. 

I see, I thought it might be related to sparkle in treble or airiness.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,810 of 2,566
  As for oomph, I think it doesn't have a real meaning. 

It's legitimate English slang, very widely used throughout the UK - the exact intended meaning varies slightly depending on the context within which a person uses it, but it generally refers to something having 'power', 'guts', 'robustness', 'slam', 'ability to back-up/substantiate it's intentions', etc.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,811 of 2,566

It's legitimate English slang, very widely used throughout the UK - the exact intended meaning varies slightly depending on the context within which a person uses it, but it generally refers to something having 'power', 'guts', 'robustness', 'slam', 'ability to back-up/substantiate it's intentions', etc.

So it can be used as low end oomph? Like bass slam and power?

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,812 of 2,566
  .... what does it mean by the word "intimate" ....

This would generally refer to a musical performance being reproduced in such a way as to sound near/close to the listener, perhaps with delicate details being readily apparent. It's difficult to directly translate this, in terms of actual frequency sound-sig, but, as one possible example, sometimes emphasised mids can lead to vocals being projected in such a way that the vocalist sounds closer to the listener than the rest of the mix.

In terms of recordings (rather than equipment), one could describe a vocal performance where the vocalist sings very closely into the microphone, as sounding intimate (assuming he/she wasn't shouting or screaming, as that would repel the listener, rather than draw them in!). Just off the top of my head, I can think of 5 female vocalists, some of whose recordings could be described as 'intimate'- Mari Wilson ('My Funny Valentine' / 'No Moon At All'), Stacey Kent ('It Never Entered My Mind', 'Violets for My Furs', and many others), Diana Krall ('A Case of You' from Live in Paris, 'I'm Through With Love'), Anni-Frid Lyngstad ('Like an Angel Passing Through my Room'), Mary Coughlan ('I Want to be Seduced').

I admit that 'intimate' is a highly subjective term, and it would not be easy to ensure that the use of the term was consistent, from one equipment review to the next.

As an analogy, if you were to go to a small jazz club and sit at a table just a couple of metres away from a live jazz trio, that could be described as far more intimate-sounding than going to a large concert hall and listening to the same jazz trio performing while you were sat 10 rows back in the audience.

In terms of the SE-5, it would (I suppose) refer to the soundstage being smaller than some other CIEMs, the abundance of micro-details which all provide spatial clues as to the acoustics of a recording venue, and which make one feel more 'connected' to the performers and their instruments.

If you think about it, the closer you are to a performer, at a real live performance, the more tiny details you may hear from their instrument or voice, so a CIEM (or DAP, DAC, Amp, etc.) which provides a very detailed rendition may also help you feel closer to the performers in a recording. The SE-5 is renowned for being very detailed.

So, it really depends upon the context within which the word 'intimate' is being used in a review. If the reviewer says a piece of equipment is highly detailed, and then, a couple of sentences later, mentions that the equipments produces a sound that feels 'intimate', then that sense of intimacy might be due to the detail levels.

Equally, I have seen reviewers sometimes remark that a CIEM may slightly emphasise parts of the midrange, which has a subjective effect of making the reviewer perceive vocals as being 'nearer', and thus this may seem more intimate.

I have also seen reviewers associate the perceived 'warmth' of a piece of equipments sound-sig to create a sense of intimacy, and this subjective experience might be partly due to the fact that a small room (let's go back to the jazz club vs concert hall example) may sound more claustrophobic, and less airy and spacious than a large concert hall. Subjectively, a slightly claustrophobic acoustic might sound 'warmer'.

It's very tricky to explain the semantics of words which are contextually-dependent, but I hope I have made at least some sense to you!

My best advice it to always try to look at the context of the other statements a reviewer is using, whenever you see them using terms like 'oomph' or 'intimacy'.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,814 of 2,566

In terms of the SE-5, it would (I suppose) refer to the soundstage being smaller than some other CIEMs, the abundance of micro-details which all provide spatial clues as to the acoustics of a recording venue, and which make one feel more 'connected' to the performers and their instruments.

Many thanks Mython! That was informative and it make perfect sense too. I was think the same about "intimate" being more in-head sounding, this explains much better.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,815 of 2,566
I agree with Mython's definition of intimacy soundstage wise. The way I see it, in my own words, is that indeed for the SE5, lateral spacial clues place instruments and voices quite close together and not too far from you. However, you never feel any "stuffiness" to the sound thanks to great separaration and precise placement, and a certain sense of depth.

Some other iems, for instance Fitear 335, seem 5o create intimacy because of the fullness of their sounds, mids and bass are so rich that they seem close together....like fat people in an elevator. This intimacy may seem more claustrophobic at times.

There is a last aspect more often related to the recording but sometimes enhanced or modified by colored iems, and non exclusive to the other twoo aspects, which is (artificial) proximity of voices. When you hear the singer whispering in your ear, there can be a feeling of intimacy unrelated to the width or depth of placement of instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back