Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #1,786 of 2,566
  Then please buy a new source after your exams otherwise you won't put them out of your ears anymore :).

I have a birthday on March, I will see what I can do
happy_face1.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,789 of 2,566
I think lot of cables will work if they have normal westone style 2-pin connectors. The connectors shouldn't be big. If they are about the same size as the ones that are on the stock cable it shouldn't be a problem.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,790 of 2,566
I think lot of cables will work if they have normal westone style 2-pin connectors. The connectors shouldn't be big. If they are about the same size as the ones that are on the stock cable it shouldn't be a problem.
Yep you are right. The best is if the cable maker can do longer pins, 4mm instead of 3mm. But the most important is that the plastic part of the sockets is thin so it can be inserted deeper. That is actually not standard for most cable makers I have tried so they need to melt / trim their sockets. Tralucent cables will not work for instance.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,791 of 2,566

Toxic Cables told me they can do it too, I didn't see any of his work with Spiral Ear ciems though.

Get a toxic silver/copper cable. It improves SE5's transparency and soundstage, I found it better than endorphin.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #1,793 of 2,566

Oh you have one already? Would you mind posting pictures? I wonder how he does the connectors? Toxic could be nice option for me, since they are also based in Eu.

Mine was from 18 months ago. I am sure frank can make better connectors now. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,795 of 2,566
If you say the fit was good, I trust your word mate. I admit, buying in Eu is easier for me. How can we prevent oxidation, I mean we don't do anything but the what the cable manufacturer can do about it?

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,796 of 2,566
  If you say the fit was good, I trust your word mate. I admit, buying in Eu is easier for me. How can we prevent oxidation, I mean we don't do anything but the what the cable manufacturer can do about it?

There are a variety of ways to protect against oxidation. I'm sure most cable companies know about these techniques, it just depends if they are not cheap enough to implement them. 

I can say, that most of my headphone, speaker, and interconnects haven't oxidized yet. I've talked to people who have only owned cables for 6 months that are already withering due to oxidation. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #1,797 of 2,566
Yes...my cable usually turn green in like two or three months... So much moisture here...Sad it can't be reversed. I haven't find it affect the sound...well it should cuz the conductivity should drop a bit.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,798 of 2,566
When I am ready for a cable purchase I will ask him then. If no go for me, DHC seems like a safe choice and I have to admit his work looks awesome. Thanks for all the information guys.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,799 of 2,566
  Yes...my cable usually turn green in like two or three months... So much moisture here...Sad it can't be reversed. I haven't find it affect the sound...well it should cuz the conductivity should drop a bit.

Hmm the only cable I had oxidize on my was the UE cable I bought. That thing turned green in 24 hours here lol :wink:.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,800 of 2,566
DHC Fusion is also silver copper and works well sound wise...to be honest I did not detect a night and day difference with my Oslo II silver cable.

By the way my Oslo II is up for sale since I have balanced cables now: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698926/brand-new-beat-oslo-ii-occ-silver-cable-custom-for-spiral-ear-se5-works-with-others

I ordered the new Whiplash gold PLATED silver cable for my NT6 but also eager to try with the SE5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back