[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,808 of 3,824
OH SNAP!!!!!  I did it!!!!

The main reason I did it...

Good thing I cut everything so short.  It just makes it fit perfectly!!!  And yes, they work!!!  Tutorial to come...

For the record, I will probably never ever do this again.  Everything was actually pretty easy except the wire soldering... Ugh.  Although if I had some helping hands or something to help hold the wires very precisely it might have been easier.  Or maybe not...

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,809 of 3,824
Congratulations mate! Well done. Is there a difference in sound with the silver cables?

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2,810 of 3,824
Congratulations mate! Well done. Is there a difference in sound with the silver cables?
I'm not sure yet. I did some quick listening and thought the bass seemed a bit lower (awesome), but that might be because iused two layers of heat shrink over the strain relief. I think this blocked air from coming out, which i thonk i read was one way to slighty reduce bass. Otherwise, the overall sound seems pretty much the same, but the over ear fit is perfect. I was going to make ear guides, but i don't even need to. They stay around the ear so well. I'm really glad i risked it and went shorter than i planned on the strain relief section. Otherwise they would have not wrapped around the contour of my ear so well...

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,811 of 3,824

Good thing I cut everything so short.  It just makes it fit perfectly!!!  And yes, they work!!!  Tutorial to come...

For the record, I will probably never ever do this again.  Everything was actually pretty easy except the wire soldering... Ugh.  Although if I had some helping hands or something to help hold the wires very precisely it might have been easier.  Or maybe not...

^ OMG OMG OMG!!! YOU DID IT!!! BIG CONGRATS!!!
beerchug.gif

Oh man it looks so sweet as well. Dolphin dood you can't just give up now, I HAVE FOUND DA" ONE!!! But......
... you gots to perfect it meng.

Can't wait for that instructions post cuz that will be very helpful. But i don't even have no soldering stuff or wires around so...... i might need to consult with you for your expertise.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2,812 of 3,824

how have you managed to solder the wires? I had the same problem with the wires. I couldn't solder them

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #2,813 of 3,824

how have you managed to solder the wires? I had the same problem with the wires. I couldn't solder them

Very patiently lol

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #2,814 of 3,824
and if you don't have patient :p 

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #2,816 of 3,824

I have recabled 3 pairs now with no problem at all.
Once you burn off the insulation simply twist the 2 bare wires together and apply solder...then fold over and heatshrink...easy

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,817 of 3,824

I have recabled 3 pairs now with no problem at all.
Once you burn off the insulation simply twist the 2 bare wires together and apply solder...then fold over and heatshrink...easy

One man's easy is another man's hard. The wires would't take any solder. I burnt them, melted with my iron, heated with fire, lighter, dipped in alcohol, etc. etc. tried different iron trmperatures. And i have a nice iron. Just wasn't working for me. Ultimately it just took some patience. I kept at it until they finally globbed together. I tried winding the first, but my cable was 24-gauge and winding them wasn't easy. Again, i didn't have a lot of great tools for micro wire handling. But in the end it worked... so i'm happy.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,818 of 3,824
  There is a similar sony though for about $20-30 with a mic.  Not sure how it sounds, but if it's at all like the rockin' buds, which it looks identical to, it should sound decent.

http://www.amazon.com/DR-EX12IP-Stereo-Headphones-Remote-Black/dp/B004QOA93E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386550606&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+earphones+microphone

Dammit, I asked my brother to get my these for Christmas but it turns out the mic doesn't work with Android phones, only Ipod/Iphone. I guess I was tired when researching what to get and got confused :frowning2:

Is there a cheap adapter I can get to make the mic work (don't care about the button really) or should I return them and get something else and if so, what?

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2,819 of 3,824

There is a similar sony though for about $20-30 with a mic.  Not sure how it sounds, but if it's at all like the rockin' buds, which it looks identical to, it should sound decent.

http://www.amazon.com/DR-EX12IP-Stereo-Headphones-Remote-Black/dp/B004QOA93E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386550606&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+earphones+microphone

Dammit, I asked my brother to get my these for Christmas but it turns out the mic doesn't work with Android phones, only Ipod/Iphone. I guess I was tired when researching what to get and got confused :frowning2:

Is there a cheap adapter I can get to make the mic work (don't care about the button really) or should I return them and get something else and if so, what?

A 3.5 omtp to ctia adapter will fix everything.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,820 of 3,824

A 3.5 omtp to ctia adapter will fix everything.

OK but the ones on Amazon costs £7.90, which is almost as much as the headphones, so that's not worth it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiio-LU1-Adapter-Cable-headphones-black/dp/B005I0GHV8

Searching google or ebay didn't find any cheaper alternatives. I guess I'll have to return the buds and keeps looking for something with a mic that works with Android phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back