[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #2,821 of 3,824
  OK but the ones on Amazon costs £7.90, which is almost as much as the headphones, so that's not worth it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiio-LU1-Adapter-Cable-headphones-black/dp/B005I0GHV8

Searching google or ebay didn't find any cheaper alternatives. I guess I'll have to return the buds and keeps looking for something with a mic that works with Android phones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360615229681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #2,822 of 3,824
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/360615229681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

OK thanks, that's affordable but it doesn't say anything about being a omtp to ctia adapter and the description suggests it's just for using normal 3.5" headphones with an iphone, so it still might not make the mic work on Android.

I don't really want to waste money, even if it's only £1 and waiting for it to be delivered from Hong Kong will make me miss the window I've got to return the buds to Amazon, so unless I can be sure it'll work I can't take the risk.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,823 of 3,824
  OK thanks, that's affordable but it doesn't say anything about being a omtp to ctia adapter and the description suggests it's just for using normal 3.5" headphones with an iphone, so it still might not make the mic work on Android.

I don't really want to waste money, even if it's only £1 and waiting for it to be delivered from Hong Kong will make me miss the window I've got to return the buds to Amazon, so unless I can be sure it'll work I can't take the risk.

Give me another week to confirm this, currently on holiday and I ordered this before going.
But I'm 99.9% positive that this will work with android since I'm also using the Galaxy S4.
I bought something like this before but unfortunately it broke very easily (extremely fragile, avoid this at all costs), as you can see both says IPhone to Nokia converter.
Now I've learned my lesson and I'm just going for the most durable ones available (at least it looks durable since it's made from steel).

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #2,824 of 3,824

A 3.5 omtp to ctia adapter will fix everything.

OK but the ones on Amazon costs £7.90, which is almost as much as the headphones, so that's not worth it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiio-LU1-Adapter-Cable-headphones-black/dp/B005I0GHV8

Searching google or ebay didn't find any cheaper alternatives. I guess I'll have to return the buds and keeps looking for something with a mic that works with Android phones.
That's your call. :p. But i don't think you'll find anything close to the quality for the price. $20 earphones with a $5-$10 adapter? That's only $30 for a really good sounding earphone. If you can solder i can tell you how to swap the connections permanently. :-o

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,825 of 3,824
His and Hers...

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,826 of 3,824

Give me another week to confirm this, currently on holiday and I ordered this before going.
But I'm 99.9% positive that this will work with android since I'm also using the Galaxy S4.
I bought something like this before but unfortunately it broke very easily (extremely fragile, avoid this at all costs), as you can see both says IPhone to Nokia converter.
Now I've learned my lesson and I'm just going for the most durable ones available (at least it looks durable since it's made from steel).

Cool, thanks. That should give me plenty of time to return the buds if it doesn't work.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,827 of 3,824
That's your call. :p. But i don't think you'll find anything close to the quality for the price. $20 earphones with a $5-$10 adapter? That's only $30 for a really good sounding earphone. If you can solder i can tell you how to swap the connections permanently. :-o

Yeah, I can solder but if you're talking about soldering the cable on the buds, from past experience they tend to have very fine wires that are rather hard to strip and solder and I don't want to risk ending up with a broken pair of buds :-o

I could make my own adapter cable if there's somewhere to buy the connectors from cheap but often the places that sell components charge silly amounts of P&P.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,828 of 3,824

Yeah, I can solder but if you're talking about soldering the cable on the buds, from past experience they tend to have very fine wires that are rather hard to strip and solder and I don't want to risk ending up with a broken pair of buds :-o

I could make my own adapter cable if there's somewhere to buy the connectors from cheap but often the places that sell components charge silly amounts of P&P.

There are 3.5mm 4-pole connectors online, but shipping might make it more like 10-15 dollars when said and done. And i don't know about the jacks (female). If you don't mind losing the controls, the soldering doesn't requie any wires and is very easy: http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/11/converting-omtp-headphone-to-standard.html?m=1

Otherwise, you can buy an omtp adapter on ebay for less than $10. I'd make one myself, just because it's fun. But maybe that's just me. :)

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2,829 of 3,824
I have been using the MH1 (without C) for half a year now, quite satisfied.
The Cable is alright, don't get the fuss about it.
Sound is also fine.
I payed 9€ for them, which is fair.
Would buy again.

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #2,830 of 3,824

Hi, just wondering if you've received the adapter and had a chance to test it yet?

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #2,831 of 3,824
Ok everyone. Here it is! My finished, custom, ultimate mh1 personal edition. Haha

I had originally based the length off of the er4s. Ended up being too long and bulky. Shortened the cable to the length of the pfe112. Much better.

Removed the right angle connector and put on a straight neutrik. I'm 50/50 on this one, so i'm going to try it for a while. Now a black connector for continuity. Also with a bit of heatshrink strain relief.

Added a super awesome custom cord lock slider. Works SO well! Shirt clip added. And i'm using a green ear tip for right ear and black for left...

Lastly, the heatshrink on the earpiece section seems to help block some air, and i've taped the top vents. Very small change, but a bit less bass.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #2,833 of 3,824
  Hi, just wondering if you've received the adapter and had a chance to test it yet?

Alright from my history of purchase,

this works but it broke after a week.
this also works but it's loose right out of the box, thus making it unusable.
Lastly this has not been shipped to me yet, apparently they ship it to the wrong address.

I suggest you wait until I get the last adapter and tell you whether its durable or not.
Surely you want to avoid the first two adapter since it broke easily.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #2,834 of 3,824
  Alright from my history of purchase,

this works but it broke after a week.
this also works but it's loose right out of the box, thus making it unusable.
Lastly this has not been shipped to me yet, apparently they ship it to the wrong address.

I suggest you wait until I get the last adapter and tell you whether its durable or not.
Surely you want to avoid the first two adapter since it broke easily.

OK thanks, yeah it was the last one I'm interested in so I'll wait until you receive it.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,835 of 3,824
O.k. this is my last recable adjustment I swear.... (maybe)  :wink: haha.

It has all the previously mentioned customizations, but even after shortening the cable to a more standard iem length, I found the bottom section was too thick with four braided wires.

I decided I really wanted this thing as good as I could get it, so I cut off the bottom section and recabled it again.  I twisted and soldered the wires in the center together at which point I joined the two ground wires.  This way I only have three braided wires running the length of the bottom to the connector.  And what a difference it makes.  It feels so much nicer.  In the process I destroyed my last gold neutrik connector, but I liked the black connector body.  So, I mixed the black body with a silver connector and I think it looks awesome that way.  I like the red color for the right channel to the ear, but I kind of wish it was silver as well, that would look really sweet.  But I wasn't about to recable the iem housing, omg... ha :p  I was very careful and luckily the heatshrink section where the cables join is no larger than before! :)

Anyway, as long as the earpiece connections don't fail I'm going to be a happy man.  I highly recommend this recable in its final state.  I am still going to make a tutorial, but I've been uber busy.  I just realized I forgot to put the shirt clip back on. :p  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back