[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2,776 of 3,824
  Well, i returned my MH1 today, after having it 1 day, the adpater works and sound is nice, but at max the volume is like 70% of my dunu trident and other in ears that i own :frowning2:

What is your dap? All my players can drive MH1 to a very decent volume; although the MH1 does benefit from additional amping.

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,778 of 3,824
I have the MH1 connected to my laptop with an cable adapter, first i connected it without the adapter, and then i only had normal sound when i hold the "call key" in, when i released it the sound was terrible, so i ordered the adapter (i had the link of the adapter in one of my earlier reply's).
And the sound was really nice, but the volume was not to my liking, as i said 70% of my tridents and other in ears :frowning2:
The same for my ipod classic 5th generation :frowning2:

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #2,779 of 3,824
I
I have the MH1 connected to my laptop with an cable adapter, first i connected it without the adapter, and then i only had normal sound when i hold the "call key" in, when i released it the sound was terrible, so i ordered the adapter (i had the link of the adapter in one of my earlier reply's).
And the sound was really nice, but the volume was not to my liking, as i said 70% of my tridents and other in ears :frowning2:
The same for my ipod classic 5th generation :frowning2:
is there a song you have that isn't loud enough for you? I'm curious if there is and i can test it on mine.

On another note, i'm chopping up my mh1 right now for the recable. It just doesn't feel right cutting the cord. :p. It's only $20, but i feel like i might be destroying one of my favorite iems...

Update: aaaaaaaah! This is not going well. The cable looks great, but the dang mh1 wires are so small and hard to expose without ruining them. I'm not giving up, but uggggh...

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #2,780 of 3,824
I
is there a song you have that isn't loud enough for you? I'm curious if there is and i can test it on mine.

On another note, i'm chopping up my mh1 right now for the recable. It just doesn't feel right cutting the cord. :p. It's only $20, but i feel like i might be destroying one of my favorite iems...

Update: aaaaaaaah! This is not going well. The cable looks great, but the dang mh1 wires are so small and hard to expose without ruining them. I'm not giving up, but uggggh...

NO, i have this problem with all my songs, the volume is just not loud enough, its a considerable percentage lower in comparison with my other in ears :frowning2:

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,781 of 3,824
I

NO, i have this problem with all my songs, the volume is just not loud enough, its a considerable percentage lower in comparison with my other in ears :frowning2:
That's fine. Can you give me a song example? :p

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,783 of 3,824

This is not a random issue or something - its has already been said many times that the mh1/c is harder to drive than the average iems.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,784 of 3,824

That's fine. Can you give me a song example? :p

lorde - royals
dubspeeka - fix me

Oh my goodness.  Listening to the samples in the itunes store on my ipod touch, I can't even comfortably get the volume over 75%.  I personally would consider 50% loud but a good volume, 40% a more comfortable "average" volume.  Some people might listen to them quietly but reasonably at 30% volume if they don't like it louder.  Obviously tastes vary.  I'd probably listen to it around 40% volume or less.

So I would tell you a few things.  First, if you're listening to music at volumes like that (75% or more on those songs) you are absolutely 100% going to get hearing damage over time.  That is easily past the 85db range and probably somewhere in the 90's easy.

Second, if you are listening to these songs and they aren't loud at all, then you probably have a problem with your earphones or devices.

Otherwise, you already have hearing damage, and therefore they don't seem loud to you, or you listening to these songs in a loud environment, like a subway or something, and you're trying to turn the song up so you can hear it over the ambient noise.  In that case you are in extremely dangerous hearing loss territory.

Do any of those seem likely?  Are you in a loud area?  Do you have any existing hearing loss?  Also, these are the MH1 model correct?

One more thing..  The fact that you said the mh1 maxed is about 70% of your other earphones makes me thing you listen to your other earphones louder.  That is very very loud.  Just a warning.  Unless of course something is wrong with something in the chain of devices...

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,785 of 3,824

Oh my goodness.  Listening to the samples in the itunes store on my ipod touch, I can't even comfortably get the volume over 75%.  I personally would consider 50% loud but a good volume, 40% a more comfortable "average" volume.  Some people might listen to them quietly but reasonably at 30% volume if they don't like it louder.  Obviously tastes vary.  I'd probably listen to it around 40% volume or less.

So I would tell you a few things.  First, if you're listening to music at volumes like that (75% or more on those songs) you are absolutely 100% going to get hearing damage over time.  That is easily past the 85db range and probably somewhere in the 90's easy.

Second, if you are listening to these songs and they aren't loud at all, then you probably have a problem with your earphones or devices.

Otherwise, you already have hearing damage, and therefore they don't seem loud to you, or you listening to these songs in a loud environment, like a subway or something, and you're trying to turn the song up so you can hear it over the ambient noise.  In that case you are in extremely dangerous hearing loss territory.

Do any of those seem likely?  Are you in a loud area?  Do you have any existing hearing loss?  Also, these are the MH1 model correct?

One more thing..  The fact that you said the mh1 maxed is about 70% of your other earphones makes me thing you listen to your other earphones louder.  That is very very loud.  Just a warning.  Unless of course something is wrong with something in the chain of devices...

haha! my ears a in good condition, i just did a test a mont ago :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2,786 of 3,824
Well, loud volume is a personal preference. As I said the Mh1/C is not the easiest to drive and that's why I stopped recommending it to people who just want to use it with their phones coz different phones have different power and also some people like their music loud, especially the younger guys. A friend of mine testing mh1 on his Samsung phone had the volume at 100% and said it was very quite, so I gave him my BH amp and he literally maxed it out on high-gain until he was happy with the loudness LOL

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,787 of 3,824

haha! my ears a in good condition, i just did a test a mont ago :)

Do this test.  Turn the volume to 20% on your ipod and listen to the song for a few seconds.  Stop the song and turn the volume up to full volume (assuming you listen at this volume or higher).  Wait 30 seconds.  Press play again where you left off at.  You should realize how loud it is.  Doing this with an average volume might sound abrupt, but louder volumes will startle you.

Well, loud volume is a personal preference. As I said the Mh1/C is not the easiest to drive and that's why I stopped recommending it to people who just want to use it with their phones coz different phones have different power and also some people like their music loud, especially the younger guys. A friend of mine testing mh1 on his Samsung phone had the volume at 100% and said it was very quite, so I gave him my BH amp and he literally maxed it out on high-gain until he was happy with the loudness LOL

There is nothing unusual about the mh1 volume sensitivity.  I agree volume is a preference, but most people wouldn't want hearing loss.  It isn't immediate, so you might think "oh, i'll be fine".  But at the volumes he is listening to these two songs, if this is his general listening level, he will have gradual hearing loss.  Life will suck when you end up with tinnitus later in life and can't enjoy music anymore.

I can't speak for every device, but on the sansa, ipod, average laptop soundcard, etc. the mh1 is more than powerful enough for all but the quietest, rare music tracks.  These two songs are not quiet.  These are more modern masterings tending toward the loud side.  So in that regard, you should never use an amp as you are already in hearing loss decibel range.

To each his own though.  If you don't mind risking hearing loss, by all means, get an amp or a different iem.  But in no way is the mh1 underpowered with an ipod type device.  I would even say it's average.  I have some iems that are quieter and some that are louder, but it's not near the quiet levels of something like the er4s.  And even that doesn't require an amp with most music.

Another issue is that your hearing adapts to sound exposure.  In other words, as you listen to loud music you get used to it.  This makes some people want to turn it up more to get back that energetic sensation loud music gives you.  As you continue to adapt the volume goes up.  You have to be careful with this effect.  Studies show that while your hearing does lower its sensitivity to adapt to the louder volumes, that doesn't prevent hearing loss after years of loud listening.

So in conclusion, again, the mh1 is fine and pretty average volume sensitivity for a high quality iem.  So I would suggest you get an amp or a different iem if you can't get the volume you want.  However, I would suggest more that you at least try to listen to music at a lower volume.  I just want you to have your hearing later so you can always enjoy music.  I wouldn't want you to unknowingly destroy it over time. :-/

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,788 of 3,824
Thanks for al this helpfull info! but i let 4 friends mine also test my MH1 and they all said the same thing, "nice sound but too bad its a little low at max volume".
I think i will buy the Dunu landmine dn-23 or the shure se215 or nuforce ne700x.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,789 of 3,824

There is nothing unusual about the mh1 volume sensitivity.  I agree volume is a preference, but most people wouldn't want hearing loss.  It isn't immediate, so you might think "oh, i'll be fine".  But at the volumes he is listening to these two songs, if this is his general listening level, he will have gradual hearing loss.  Life will suck when you end up with tinnitus later in life and can't enjoy music anymore.

I can't speak for every device, but on the sansa, ipod, average laptop soundcard, etc. the mh1 is more than powerful enough for all but the quietest, rate music tracks.  These two songs are not quiet.  These are more modern masterings tending toward the loud side.  So in that regard, you should never use an amp as you are already in hearing loss decibel range.

To each his own though.  If you don't mind risking hearing loss, by all means, get an amp or a different iem.  But in no way is the mh1 underpowered with an ipod type device.  I would even say it's average.  I have some iems that are quieter and some that are louder, but it's not near the quiet levels of something like the er4s.  And even that doesn't require an amp with most music.

Another issue is that your hearing adapts to sound exposure.  In other words, as you listen to loud music you get used to it.  This makes some people want to turn it up more to get back that energetic sensation loud music give you.  As you continue to adapt the volume goes up.  You have to be careful with this effect.  Studies show that while your hearing does lower its sensitivity to adapt to the louder volumes, that doesn't prevent hearing loss after years of loud listening.

So in conclusion, again, the mh1 is fine and pretty average volume sensitivity for a high quality iem.  So I would suggest you get an amp or a different iem if you can't get the volume you want.  However, I would suggest more that you at least try to listen to music at a lower volume.  I just want you to have your hearing later so you can always enjoy music.  I wouldn't want you to unknowingly destroy it over time. :-/

Yeah, an ipod should be fine for most people - I was mainly referring for different smartphone use as there are a lot of smartphones that have less than 10mW output power, which is pretty low for a lot of the harder to drive iems including the mh1/c. Not everyone is using an iphone and a lot of phones can't even push it to normal listening volume let alone anything that can damage your ears.And I wouldn't call the mh1c average at how much power it needs for a 16ohm iem with overall high rated sensitivity - it just isn't efficient for its specs. It also definitely benefits from any extra power.
There's also another thing - the mh1/c's signature. With that smooth treble and overall sound it's a lot more forgiving to the ears at high volume than most iems. The laid back treble also kinda tricks people to push the volume even higher to hear more details 
I think the mh1/c is the type of iem that just begs you to turn up the volume without worrying too much about damaging your hearing. It's prett easy on the ears and even after prolonged sessions at very high volume it rarely leaves your ears ringing and fatigued from the loudness.

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,790 of 3,824

I can't speak for every device, but on the sansa, ipod, average laptop soundcard, etc. the mh1 is more than powerful enough for all but the quietest, rate music tracks.  These two songs are not quiet.  These are more modern masterings tending toward the loud side.  So in that regard, you should never use an amp as you are already in hearing loss decibel range.

Another issue is that your hearing adapts to sound exposure.  In other words, as you listen to loud music you get used to it.  This makes some people want to turn it up more to get back that energetic sensation loud music give you.  As you continue to adapt the volume goes up.  You have to be careful with this effect.  Studies show that while your hearing does lower its sensitivity to adapt to the louder volumes, that doesn't prevent hearing loss after years of loud listening.

Yeah, an ipod should be fine for most people - I was mainly referring for different smartphone use as there are a lot of smartphones that have less than 10mW output power, which is pretty low for a lot of the harder to drive iems including the mh1/c. Not everyone is using an iphone and a lot of phones can't even push it to normal listening volume let alone anything that can damage your ears.And I wouldn't call the mh1c average at how much power it needs for a 16ohm iem with overall high rated sensitivity - it just isn't efficient for its specs. It also definitely benefits from any extra power.
There's also another thing - the mh1/c's signature. With that smooth treble and overall sound it's a lot more forgiving to the ears at high volume than most iems. The laid back treble also kinda tricks people to push the volume even higher to hear more details 
I think the mh1/c is the type of iem that just begs you to turn up the volume without worrying too much about damaging your hearing. It's prett easy on the ears and even after prolonged sessions at very high volume it rarely leaves your ears ringing and fatigued from the loudness.

I agree with most of that.  I can't speak for every smartphone, but even if the volume was 25% less max volume it would be more than enough for the music he linked.  And if you're smartphone is less than 25% less powerful than an ipod it isn't really a good output level music device, so I wouldn't personally even care to use it.  But again, to each his own.

Thanks for al this helpfull info! but i let 4 friends mine also test my MH1 and they all said the same thing, "nice sound but too bad its a little low at max volume".
I think i will buy the Dunu landmine dn-23 or the shure se215 or nuforce ne700x.

On what device?  The mh1 is spec'd 115db sensitivity.  That's good, not bad.  In fact, the apple earpods are 109db sensitivity, and the mh1 sounds very very close to the earpods, as it should.  I've compared these to a bunch of very popular earphones, and they are well withing the "average" volume levels.  The er4s is quieter than most, the pfe112 are louder than most by a bit.  The mh1 is right there in the middle with the earpods and similar iems.  So you can't say they're too quiet, unless you're saying most average volume iems are too quiet.  Then I think you're really saying you just prefer very loud earphones.  In that case, no, the mh1 won't fit your needs, but I would never call a quiet iem.  It is less offensive in the treble and thus may seem easier to listen to, but I personally don't hear that as much of a volume difference at all, just a smoothness difference.  Less fatigue perhaps, but you can have two iems that "sound" the same volume but one if fatiguing and the other isn't.

Anyway, if you have some earpods available to you compare them at the same volume.  If they aren't VERY close in volume, you have a problem with your mh1, or the device driving it, or the combination of the two.  If they are similar than there you go.  Get an amp or a different iem. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back