[Review] Sensaphonics j-phonics - the BEST professional universal stage ear monitor yet
Dec 31, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #46 of 208

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budx3385 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do not need extra "kick", as I listen mostly to classical, chamber, and the like.  I use a Kenwood HD60GD9 on the road.  Truth of timbre and coherence are essential to my ears.

Funny, I called Headroom yesterday, and the salesperson (let's call him Mr. Ed) seemed to emphasize my satisfaction with the ETY-4S and said that nothing could match them for natural timbre.

JVC FX700 (single dynamic driver) and Ortofon e-Q5 (single moving armature) would be excellent choices for classical, too. I concur that timbre and coherence are essential and prefer these phones to all dual and triple driver IEMs I've heard, including the CK10, CK100, SE530 and SM3.

james444, thank you very much for this excellent information.  I will definitely followup.  As much as I like my ETY4s, I feel like there must be something better for me to use on the airplane by now.  When I finally get to the hotel room, I usually unpack my "roadies" and relax with wonderful music.

JackKontney, you are a gentleman, sir.  Thank you very much for the pm's.  I will be very happy if these leads guide me to the next step.  

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #47 of 208

Quote:
I do know that SP stands for "stage performance" and MX stands for "music extreme." Looking at their website, it appears that SP is designed for flat response and MX is a bit bassier.
8 colors availoable, including clear:

Talk about selection - beside the two different sound signature and 8 colors on housing, you also get to choose 3 different cable lengths (94cm / 60cm / 40cm + 35mm extension), 2 different style of 3.5mm plugs (straight or L-shaped), 2 different style of Comply eartips (3 sized T or TX series, total 6 pairs) and 2 different size of hard case with 3 different color options in rubber lining - a total of 1152 different combinations.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #48 of 208
So I have it. Is it good? Yes.

Is it better than anything I have heard so far? No, but then it's only an IEM.

Is it better than any IEM I've heard? Yes. Definitely. And by a big margin.

This is the first time I have the feeling of "things can't get much better than this" from an IEM. Nope, not with my SM2, not with the RE262, not with the RE-Zero, not with the Triple Fi. The J-phonics is perfection. (IMHO, of course)

Strangely enough, fit is the thing that bugs me the most. The SM2 is a bit more comfy for me. If I look at them side by side I just don't understand how can this happen, but the SM2 is a tad more comfortable, and is easier for me to get a good seal. This does not mean the J-phonics has a bad fit. It still has one of the best fit from an earphone. It just takes me a couple more seconds to adjust them in the ears.

I won't comment on its sound, and I don't think I have to. Shigzeo described it well on his review(but where is it?).

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #50 of 208

Quote:
How much did you pay for it? Care for some pictures?

380000KRW(about 340 USD), a month old MX(yes this is a used pair). Pictures... I'll take them when I get home (and that will be around 8 hours from now).

Currently there is no official distribution of  J-phonics here in Korea, but there was for a very short period of time(at 400000KRW). This is one of those. However I don't think it will be re-released at this price point.
The Japanese Yen is quite expensive currently, and 39900JPY equals to something like 540000KRW and 480USD, making it more expensive than the SM3. The Sensaphonics overseas sales team must have some headache deciding the overseas sale price.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #52 of 208

Quote:
Quote:
I won't comment on its sound, and I don't think I have to. Shigzeo described it well on his review(but where is it?).

You don't have to, but I really would appreciate a word or two on soundstage. AFAIR shigzeo didn't cover this aspect and his review is gone anyway.

I've heard it for only 3 hours and I need more time with it, so don't count heavily on this comment, but I think it's a little less wider than the SM2 but definitely has more depth. It has a very airy presentation too.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #55 of 208
Looks good though =)

Really curious about them now X3

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #56 of 208
Wow, the fit is actually annoying (maybe it's just me). One time I put it on I get HORRIBLE sibilance (I'm the one who does not like DT880 because of sibilance, I really hate sibilant tracks and phones). Then I wiggle it in my ear again and get a comfortable and pleasing sound. The sound is extremely fit dependent.

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #58 of 208
^
I was using the olives from the start, as I'm not exactly a fan of Comply tips. The problem is the phone's small design and my big ear. I studied it for some time and now I know how to get the best fit and seal though. Shouldn't be a distraction if you are trying to buy.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #59 of 208
Now that the initial excitement is over, maybe I would describe the bad aspects of the sound with a word or two.

Highs : The low treble has some peaks (around 10~11k I think) and the rolloff is much greater than my PK1, which is typical for a BA phone though I can't say I like it.
I have the most trouble with highs, and EQing does not help the problem at all. (maybe it's just me though)
So would I say this phone has good highs? Yes, I would, but compared to the other frequencies I would say it is a little less refined.

Mids : Since mine is MX (powerful bass compared to SP) and the treble has a peak somewhere the mids are a step back compared to the other spectrum. That's what I do not like. The mids are there, but it's a little less compared to a definite 'lush'.
Would I say this phone has good mids? Yes. Definitely, though I want it to be a little forward. Absolutely no veil and good details.

Lows : The lows are powerful and it is there when the music calls for it. Compared to the SM2 a little less in power but much better in details and clarity. The cellos are a pleasure to listen.

Soundstage : Definitely wide, deep and airy, a 3D projection compared to many other IEM's 2D. I've always thought that forward midrange kills the depth perception but this one keeps a very good balance. I do not have any problem with the mids and the soundstage is spectacular for a universal.

Overall I think it's a good IEM, but nowhere near perfection :) just disregard the previous post. I would really, really love it if it has a little tame highs with better extension though. This kind of highs make things fun but is unbearable with sibilant tracks(keep in mind that my sibilance tolerance levels are low). 

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #60 of 208
Thanks for the impression. I might have missed this, but can you tell us what configuration (cable length and such) is your MX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back