[Review] Sensaphonics j-phonics - the BEST professional universal stage ear monitor yet
Dec 17, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #16 of 208
Believe it or not, the replacement of ER6's own foams by Complies is one of the reason why I got into my shopping spree at the beginning of this year. And I ended up with a pair of T1 customs
biggrin.gif
! So yeah I've a pretty good idea of what you mean. They really pick up sweat like crazy, even during normal use.

Should be interesting to see the reaction of professionals on that yes. The years to come are gonna be really interesting, because we'll either the spreading of use of customs, or maybe more likely the emergence of new generation of universals. Could be that we see both, through the generalization of custom sleeves. I just discovered that Sensaphonics entered this market as well.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #17 of 208
Yes, Sensaphonics are doing Shure I think, maybe others. Strangely, too, they are advertising on Headfi! I am happy to see that they are making moves. My favourite foams are the low density ETY or Futuresonic foams, but they gum up even faster than Comply's.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #18 of 208
Exactly, they have a partnership with Shure according to their website. They also do some sleeves for classic ETY models (ER6 and 4), but no recent models it seems. Futuresonics is doing it for their own products, ETY is working with ACS, Westone does it too but in acrylic, etc. The market seems to get in place, I'm wondering how far this will go.

The graal of tips hasn't been found yet, but the original ETY foams were best AFAIC. You seemed to like a lot the monster tips, do they fare well in longevity ?

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #20 of 208
Yes, the monster work well for certain earphones. Mine are pre-production samples, so they have likely changed a bit. I swear by them with final Audio and with Ortofon. With thin-tubed earphones, however, I much prefer comply for whatever reason.

Quote:
Exactly, they have a partnership with Shure according to their website. They also do some sleeves for classic ETY models (ER6 and 4), but no recent models it seems. Futuresonics is doing it for their own products, ETY is working with ACS, Westone does it too but in acrylic, etc. The market seems to get in place, I'm wondering how far this will go.

The graal of tips hasn't been found yet, but the original ETY foams were best AFAIC. You seemed to like a lot the monster tips, do they fare well in longevity ?

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #22 of 208
For true stage monitor, treble is usually rolled off because musician need to listen to them for a long time, so overly exciting treble is bad for their hearing and make them tired really fast. This is why Westone UM series's treble are not quite as bright as their Westone series because UM series is intended for monitor usage.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #23 of 208
First, huge props to shigzeo for his review. Very sweet!

A few facts:
-Sensaphonics Japan developed the j-phonics universal independently of, and with full permission from, Sensaphonics US. Taka and his crew at Sensaphonics Japan are pretty clever guys, and this is the result.
-No announcement on US availability of the j-phonics yet; we shall see. Obviously, the more interest that is expressed, the more likely it is to happen.
-Officially, Sensaphonics remains committed to custom fit in its own (US) product development.
-Confirming that Sensaphonics is Shure's official partner and recommended supplier of custom sleeves. They also make sleeves for most older Shure models.
-Sensaphonics is advertising here on a test basis - the same reason they showed up at CanJam Chicago (largely at my urging).

Also, I must respond to this utter falsehood:
Quote:
at Seeko (a Korean forum for those who don't know) people started saying that Sensaphonics cut high frequencies to 'protect hearing'

-Sensaphonics customs do not have any high-end rolloff; the 2X-S and 2MAX are designed as full-range and neutral. The 3MAX is a bit more bass-leaning, but there is no reduction in high-end response on it either. In pro audio, monitor EQ is the monitor engineer's job.
-Hearing protection is NOT frequency dependent. Too loud is too loud.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #25 of 208
Thanks for adding your thoughts here, Jack.

I am a devoted owner of the 2X-s which for the following reasons, is imo the best stage monitor:

-silicon fit, stretch, and movement
-easy to drive
-neutral signature
-very little hiss from mics or DAPs

The only problem I have with it is that at times, the treble is a bit harsh. It's not that it peaks or anything, but it's got a bit of grain. 

That said, it is a phenomenal earphone for its niche and I see why so many stage musicians choose it. That is why the j-phonics is so great: it follows on the heals of all the 2X-s pro's and works just like it for those who cannot afford it on stage. The highs, imo, are a bit smoother, and are probably due to the harder inner laminate.

About Seeko - those people must be crazy: the Sensaphonics is in NO way rolled off. It his its target of 16 000Hz easily and quite flat, maybe dropped by just a couple of decibels, but then, I've not heard any other custom that hits more than 16, 000Hz without some sort of drop off, sometimes major. One thing that Sensaphonics seem to do quite clearly is advertise the realistic frequency response of the earphone, not the theoretical limit. Of course it does hit higher frequencies, but they roll off the same as they do with other manufacturers' earphones, it's just that those other manufacturers may choose, instead of representing the roll off in their frequency response literature, to mention how high the wave can travel before machines can detect it. I promise you, machines are much more sensitive than the human ear is and that those 10 dB of like 18 -19 Hz would have no sound in the human ear.

Quote:
First, huge props to shigzeo for his review. Very sweet!

A few facts:
-Sensaphonics Japan developed the j-phonics universal independently of, and with full permission from, Sensaphonics US. Taka and his crew at Sensaphonics Japan are pretty clever guys, and this is the result.
-No announcement on US availability of the j-phonics yet; we shall see. Obviously, the more interest that is expressed, the more likely it is to happen.
-Officially, Sensaphonics remains committed to custom fit in its own (US) product development.
-Confirming that Sensaphonics is Shure's official partner and recommended supplier of custom sleeves. They also make sleeves for most older Shure models.
-Sensaphonics is advertising here on a test basis - the same reason they showed up at CanJam Chicago (largely at my urging).

Also, I must respond to this utter falsehood:
Quote:
at Seeko (a Korean forum for those who don't know) people started saying that Sensaphonics cut high frequencies to 'protect hearing'

-Sensaphonics customs do not have any high-end rolloff; the 2X-S and 2MAX are designed as full-range and neutral. The 3MAX is a bit more bass-leaning, but there is no reduction in high-end response on it either. In pro audio, monitor EQ is the monitor engineer's job.
-Hearing protection is NOT frequency dependent. Too loud is too loud.

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #30 of 208
Those posts do not show a current date. Presumably, the graphs are presented as "proof" that highs are rolled off. Knowing nothing of the measurement methodology, I can't respond except to suggest that is it giving a false impression of what I know to be real and true: that Sensaphonics earphones are full-range by design and are not rolled off.

But my primary objection is to the false cause in the statement that was posted here -- that this (non-existent) rolloff was done "to protect hearing."
Sensaphonics has unequalled knowledge and expertise in hearing conservation, but that is not in any way a limiting factor as regards sound quality.

I have no intention of fighting 3rd-party battles with a Korean web forum, but don't want to see misinformation propagated here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back