REVIEW: Sennheiser HD 800
Jul 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #226 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Jazz - wasn't it you just a few posts ago saying that headphone frequency response graphs are unreliable, and so I shouldn't use that as an objective agreement with my listening impressions? If so, I assume the same applies to you
wink.gif

Unreliable, yes. But where considerable bass is shown, there's considerable bass.
tongue.gif
Also, the unreliability is predominantly in the treble, where the measuring array interacts with the headphone, which produces standing waves and comb-filter effects. As to the HeadRoom curves specifically, they show a uniform distortion pattern throughout the lineup – which hints at a less than ideal equalization.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #227 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unreliable, yes. But where considerable bass is shown, there's considerable bass.
tongue.gif
Also, the unreliability is predominantly in the treble, where the measuring array interacts with the headphone, which produces standing waves and comb-filter effects. As to the HeadRoom curves specifically, they show a uniform distortion pattern throughout the lineup – which hints at a less than ideal equalization.

I just hope the sharps spikes in the highs will not create a phase in the sound, aka metal honky.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #228 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope the sharps spikes in the highs will not create a phase in the sound, aka metal honky.

You mean like these?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Left: K 701; right: HD 800 (Source: «Professional Audio», Germany; courtesy of Bizkid)

In my book they're also insufficiently equalized (possibly intentionally left unequalized) and don't represent sonic reality. I give the below «Stereoplay» curves more credit:

15253d1237250212-sennheiser-hd-800-first-listen-first-review-k-701-hd-800.jpg

Now compare these with HeadRoom's...

graphCompare.php
graphCompare.php

I stick with my verdict: unreliable (to all, in the end).
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #229 of 632
Quote:

You mean like these?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Left: K 701; right: HD 800 (Source: Professional Audio, Germany; courtesy of Bizkid)

In my book they're also unsufficiently equalized and don't represent sonic reality. I give the «Stereoplay» curves more credit.

15253d1237250212-sennheiser-hd-800-first-listen-first-review-k-701-hd-800.jpg

OOh, ouch... the first ones looks very nasty. only in the second graphs the 800 looks better, so, 2:1. After all they don't looks soooo different, except this sweet spikes.

lol...the 800 looks more flat on the low mids. so no 650 audiophile gimmicks here, pure HD dude.
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #230 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point, Uncle Erik. Hadn't thought of the fact that we might be able to roughly divide the population of head-fiers into two separate populations -- bass-heads and others -- with expectations that are very different. Clears up a lot of the muddle. Reminds me of Ockham's razor and keeping theories as simple as possible. The cans remain constant, but the users clearly stand on one side or the other, divided not by the innate quality of the cans but by their own tastes. So when we evaluate cans, we're not really evaluating the cans but how we're reflected in them. So it really comes down to my likes vs. your likes. This explains why passions and emotions boil over when people's favorite 'phones are put down. "Attack my cans and you attack me!" Food for thought.

I agree. If headphones were so great we'd be listening to them instead of posting about them. Who knew they'd make such great conversation pieces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Approaching a decade to come up with a low Q plastic and to slap a ring driver in a headphone
confused_face_2.gif

Marketing. Always sounds better when you say it took 10 years to come up with a design instead of 2 hours. People actually think they can reinvent the wheel or the hamburger and take a decade to show results.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #232 of 632
Quote:

I now understand why a lot of experienced members leave headfi and don't review things anymore. It turns into splitting hairs and a critical melee.

I can promise you, it's not for the thin skinned or faint of heart
darthsmile.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #233 of 632
Quote:

I agree it is not a question of right/wrong. In writing a review, it's a question of identifying sonic traits, so that people can get an idea of what they might experience.

I think that the statement "with the equipment used" should be added.

Quote:

Based on the feedback here, many people experience the HD800 the way that I do. Many experience them the way that you do. This is due to their own experience, background, and preferences. Given the difference between your general preference for headphones with a lighter sound, and my preference for ones with a weightier sound, it's not surprising that we come to different conclusions about whether we want to own them.

But I have made it very clear, for anyone who actually READS the review, that what I have described is a flavoring, nothing more, nothing less, and that the HD800 is a terrific headphone. I cannot imagine anyone reading my review and concluding anything else. But they SHOULD conclude that people who are sensitive to a slightly forward mid-treble, or to a slightly over-damped bass, should be careful before jumping in.

Given the number of various setups, there are going to be a lot of unhappy folks! If you approach them the same way that you would the HD 650, then you will find them unappealing. The HD 800 is almost the exact opposite; less seems more with these phones. I said it earlier, and I believe fiefan said this as well. But that is not the the popular way of doing business with headphones especially when talking Sennheiser. The more you throw at the HD 650/600 the better they sound.

It doesn't make sense; however, try and take it to a audio retailer, that carries lots of gears before you write these off as "slightly forward mid-treble, or to a slightly over-damped bass".

Try to do this if you can.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #234 of 632
Quote:

Wanna bet?? The first amp that I tried the HD800 with was a modified Earmax Pro. The results was no bass. Zero. Headphone rolled off sharply at around 100 Hz. Now, does that mean the headphone had no bass? Well, no. It came back nicely, even in the same amp, by using 6GM8's instead of 6DJ8's (don't try this at home folks, my amp was modded heavily to do this kind of thing, yours wasn't). Dare I add that just about any other headphone I use, particularly R10 and Denon AH-D5000 sound much better, including the low end, with the 6DJ8's? Might it be an impedance issue? Hmmm...EMP with HD-600 seems to work just fine...

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #235 of 632
Quote:

Faring thee well now,
Let your life proceed by its own design.
Nothing to tell now,
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

- John Perry Barlow

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #236 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for a very exciting thread!
beerchug.gif

Soundinista, thank you for the thoughtful, insightful message. You're obviously a diplomat, a negotiator, a judge, the oldest among three brothers close in age, or a bar tender.
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #237 of 632
Quote:

Faring thee well now,
Let your life proceed by its own design.
Nothing to tell now,
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine
- John Perry Barlow

Heh. Under the circumstances, one could also make a case for:

Quote:

Storyteller makes no choice
soon you will not hear his voice
his job is to shed light
and not to master

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #238 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh. Under the circumstances, one could also make a case for:

Ha! Indeed. Very good! I knew you'd understand
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #239 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the statement "with the equipment used" should be added.

Given the number of various setups, there are going to be a lot of unhappy folks! If you approach them the same way that you would the HD 650, then you will find them unappealing. The HD 800 is almost the exact opposite; less seems more with these phones. I said it earlier, and I believe fiefan said this as well. But that is not the the popular way of doing business with headphones especially when talking Sennheiser. The more you throw at the HD 650/600 the better they sound.

It doesn't make sense; however, try and take it to a audio retailer, that carries lots of gears before you write these off as "slightly forward mid-treble, or to a slightly over-damped bass".

Try to do this if you can.

He tried it with nine different amps. He doesn't like it. Get over it. Try to do this if you can.
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #240 of 632
Quote:

Approaching a decade to come up with a low Q plastic and to slap a ring driver in a headphone
confused_face_2.gif

I'd say that makes them incompetent or liberal with the truth. Either way, I simply think what they invested in it is irrelevant. If they spent 100 years researching it makes no difference. How you feel about the sound is all that really matters.

About Uncle Erik's post which stated something on the order of "if your not a basshead the HD800s are the phone for you" I don't think he meant that directly. I might be wrong, but I think he meant the HD800s do well if bass is not a priority. Not that it makes all other options mute.

The concept of the HD-800 is simple enough. It's the details and execution that take the time. A counter to the marketing argument is that Sennheiser chose to release these when they did. If they had pushed production in 2007, for example, I think sales would have been substantially more. Putting them out into this economy most likely means that a substantial effort was made to refine and perfect them. I still think the price is too stiff, but the HD-800 is a fully realized, well executed product.

About the bass, there seems to be a real divide about it in this community. Some prefer an overwhelming, visceral impact. That's what is heavily marketed in all levels of consumer audio. When you buy a new car, even, there's much fanfare about subwoofer options. When was the last time you saw anything devoted to midrange or tweeters? Same with all consumer stereo sets - how many inches and watts are devoted to the subs is a huge marketing tactic. People like loud bass that can be felt. The rest isn't all that important and rarely gets much ad copy.

Since we're getting into personal biases, I'll go into mine. I spent a number of years playing the big clarinets and tuba and still do on occasion. When I play, I don't go for an overwhelming bass. You can, of course. Since you can put more air through a tuba than any other instrument, it is the loudest one in the orchestra.

But should a tuba be the loudest instrument in the orchestra? Should it be played over all the other parts because you can "feel" it? No. The point is to blend in with the rest of the music - it has to be there, but it cannot go before everyone else.

Further, when you play, you are constantly listening to your own pitch and intonation to make sure you're playing correctly. Moreover, you are also listening to the rest of the instruments to make sure you blend in and balance with the whole. You are not playing to give yourself a kick in the kidneys with bass impact. That might be the point of a fuzzed out, distortion-laden bass guitar with effects pedals, massively overdriven tubes and saturated transformers. When you're doing that, intonation and blending in don't matter much.

To bring this together, when a transducer is sloppy and imbalanced for the visceral feel, I can't hear the intonation and pitch of the low instruments. Having played them, there's nothing more frustrating than not being able to hear what the tuba player or plucked bass is actually doing. It's also frustrating not to hear them in the proper context with the rest of the group.

These are things that the HD-800 does exceedingly well. So do the K-501, K-1000, DT48, ESL-63, and much else that gets trashed as "bass shy," "polite," and other euphemisms. But for someone who plays the low end and listens critically at how bass interplays with the rest of the music, this gear is wonderful.

This is a matter of priorities, taste and musical preferences. I know I'm in the minority. But for those of us who do listen this way, the HD-800 really gets things right. I understand the appeal of visceral bass and why it markets so well, but am thankful Sennheiser chose (and they did choose - they could have given us the Sennheiser Beats) to give a bass presentation that is critically correct. There aren't many headphones or speakers that get the balance right. This is one of them. If anyone thinks this is a cop-out or design flaw, spend some time going to classical concerts and pay particular attention to the low end. You won't find many headphones or speakers that get it right.

While on the topic, this is much the same reason why showing up sibilance on a recording doesn't much bother me. Sibilance is all over in live performances. If a headphone reproduces it, no big deal. I don't expect headphones to correct a wrong note, either. The reason I don't think the highs are tipped forward at any particular frequency is because that would also produce unnatural sounds in other areas. The HD-800 sounds "right" top to bottom, so I don't hear other evidence of an unnatural curve.

Another point on the highs is that a lot of people haven't had a lot of exposure to quality high-frequency sound. Aside from live performance, you usually have to go into transducer exotica to find it. Generally, that means transducers with extremely low mass, like electrostats, ribbons, planars, and AMTs. The HD-800 is one of the rare dynamic drivers that gives you the airy feel of an unconventional, exotic driver. Pulling that off with correct bass in a dynamic driver is quite an achievement.

This also gets back to my comments on consumer grade gear. Since the majority of the buying public only cares about bass, a bunch of el cheapo tweeters are used - they know consumers don't care. If consumers did care, you'd find a range of ribbons and planars driving the highs in speakers at Best Buy or in your car. Consumers don't care.

Further, this is the reason why we have the Loudness War. Compression ain't about maxing out the highs. Compression is all about making a subwoofer thump. People pay money to hear a subwoofer thump and buy recordings to make a subwoofer thump. That's why the two are so prevalent and inescapable. Consumers are getting what they want. It doesn't matter whether that sound is true to life, making sales is what's important.

To get away from the personal, I think people should be able to buy products that make them happy. If they want the subwoofer sound, fine. There's lots of products for them. An entire industry for them. But when an excellent product comes out that doesn't thump, that does not make it a bad product. Some of us - a minority, for sure - deeply appreciate and love it.

I suppose I could write a comprehensive review of the JVCs, DT770s, Denons, et al., and stack them up against the Quads, DT48, K-1000, and HD-800. I don't think I'd have much trouble pointing out the flaws I hear in their bass and how it ruins the cohesive whole of a symphony. But I don't do that because I know the DT770 is for a particular market that I am not a part of. That's OK. I know those products have loads of appeal to some people and I think they deserve to enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back