Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 5, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #2,641 of 3,234
I think Skylab is very clear that the amps are rated entirely on sound and the rankings do not include features, dac components, battery life, etc. I also think that he's pretty clear that the rankings are only his opinion.

Still, I understand your point, especially about the extended time frame, which makes me wonder how well he may remember an amp he heard a couple years ago and hasn't owned or heard since, but still, I take his rankings for what they are worth... just his opinion of how well they stack up against each other as best as he can remember based on his notes. I still do my own research for other people's opinions of the products as well.

It's true though, given the sheer amount of amps he has tried, he's clearly an expert on the topic and therefore people (rightfully) trust his opinion, and when sound quality is most people's top priority, it's hard to want to choose an amp that is lower on the list. I guess for that reason it may give vendors pause to send him their products, if they fear that it may wind up lower on the list for whatever reason.

Really it seems a big part of the problem, if there is one, is the weight his opinion carries given his reputation. If I were to rank 50 amps in my opinion, no one would care because I don't have the same reputation that took years of solid reviews and helping others to build. But if Skylab says an amp sucks, or that another amp costs less and sounds better, people will be hard pressed to buy it.

Anyway, even though I recognize the potential problems with the system, I'm personally still really glad that Skylab does rank the amps. It's nice to have a quick reference guide to the opinion of one of the most respected members of the community. I don't think it's the bible of portable headphone amps, but it's definitely a great point of reference. I think so anyway, so many thanks to Skylab! I only wish there was a similar guide to desktop amps, and even more helpful and intriguing would be one for DACs.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2,642 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally oppose Skylab's execution of an ordered ranking of the portable amps he's reviewed for three reasons: (1) Ranking more than one of anything, especially headphone amps, involves both subjectivity and multiple complicated criteria. What can make one amp rank higher (or lower) than another? Amps are not just all about their sound either and also have different feature sets, aesthetics, & form factors. (2) Who's going to buy any of the amps that are lower in the rankings? And will anyone really want to buy the 3rd, 5th, or 8th top amp? Of course I can't presume to speak for any vendors but I can't help but wonder if the fact that Skylab ranks reviewed products might influence some vendors' decisions whether to send him gear or not. (3) Is the entire ranking still even valid considering the timeframe that's passed since the first portable amp that was reviewed until now, and the additional experience that Skylab has cumulatively acquired, and any differences in his sources and/or headphones since then?

Personally I have more respect for vendors who choose not to send their amps to Skylab for the above-listed reasons.

Firstly, let me say that there is, of course, some validity to your concern, which I recognize. But allow me to set the record straight on a few things:

1. I do not solicit amps to be reviewed for this list anymore, and have not in a long time. The means I *ONLY* review amps where the the maker has reached out to ME to review their amp. So clearly, any amp that is added to this list was at the request of the maker, and as such, they should have no issue whatsoever to be on it. Also as such, no amp maker EVER gets pressured to submit am amp for review - since I never ask for one.

2. The time-frame of the review period has made the rankings difficult, but I have bought various of the amps to keep them around for comparisons' sake, and I use those to calibrate the review. Still, it's not perfect. One way in which I have attempted to ameliorate that, however, is by ranking the amps in "clusters", which is why there are multiple amps with the same ranking.

It may well be that this thread has gotten too long in the tooth, and my reviewing interests lie in areas other than portable amps anyway, which is why I no longer seek out amps to add to this thread.

And of course I have ALWAYS been VERY clear that this list is my opinion, nothing more.

I'm not sure of that clears anything up at all, but in any case, it is what it is.

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #2,643 of 3,234
Dear Skylab,

Just want to thank you for the reviews.

I want to go for it for my first amp and just buy a great DAC/Amp to begin with that I will be happy with for a long time.

I don't want to work my way up through the cheaper stuff while always wanting more and then collecting amps that will just sit along the way.

Bang for the buck still appears to be the iBasso D4 and your review just puts the stamp of approval on it. The DAC already got great kudos and so I can have both at reasonable price and not feel like I am giving anything up.

So that is very helpful and now I just need to find out how to get one since they are out of stock!!

Cheers...
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2,644 of 3,234
Thanks for the kind words!

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #2,645 of 3,234
It took this long to complain about Skylabs amp reviews?
Everyone knew about them for so long.
Skylab has just as much right to say his opinions as anyone else talking about equipment on here.
Just because he may get a bit of a cult following doesnt take away the same rights as everyone else to say his opinion. He doesnt get paid for any of this, and everyone knows its his opinion, and he never claimed to have golden ears or to be the expert.
Everyone also knows hes more into tubes, likes certain headphones, and is a known basshead by admission.

Also..form factor doesnt matter. All his rankings are by sound only, not battery life and form factor. He may mention other attributes of the amps in the discription, but it has nothing to do with rankings.

It doesnt mean i agree with every amps ranking on the list. I think the Portaphile is a bit closer to the Tomahawk in ranking then how he has it listed, but thats how he hears it with his own ears, not with mine.

I like the reviews and i hope Skylab continues to review them. I also hope others do it also so we have comparisons.

If he was a paid shill on the forum, maybe we can complain....but hes not some official reviewer. Hes just a guy like the rest of us saying his opinion, and we all have a right to make reviews also....its just that instead of one review, he made a train of many products and compared them over a long time.

As far as i know, theres no limit on how long you can keep a review running.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #2,646 of 3,234
Skylab. I don't know you but you showed class defusing confrontation. Not an easy task to do.
I think your reviews are great and have enjoyed reading them.
Keep up the good work!

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #2,647 of 3,234
I am a newbie here but I bought my first portable amp after reading Skylab's reviews (Meier Corda Porta III) . I did not really base my decision on his rankings (though they are handy), but I read what he had to say about each amp in my price range (I could not afford the higher ranked ones) and I zeroed in on the Corda purely for its wide soundstage. Suffice to say I feel his assessment was bang on and even though I have since moved to an Ibasso P3+ I still like the Soundstage on the Corda.

More than anything I feel we need to appreciate all the hard work he has put in to make such an exhaustive comparison. Let us not forget that he does not get paid to do this and it takes an effort to review so many amplifiers.

For sure, there are very valid criticisms. But since people like me who live far away dont have access to these amps, Skylabs comparison is the only one place resource. So rather that fault finding I feel we should encourage him to get more amps to add to the list like the Headstage Arrow, P3+ and RSA Protector so that we can get to know how they compare with his reference amps like the Quable and Triad Lisa III.
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #2,648 of 3,234
brendon;6538939 said:
More than anything I feel we need to appreciate all the hard work he has put in to make such an exhaustive comparison. Let us not forget that he does not get paid to do this and it takes an effort to review so many amplifiers. QUOTE]

X2
beerchug.gif

George

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #2,650 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab. I don't know you but you showed class defusing confrontation. Not an easy task to do.
I think your reviews are great and have enjoyed reading them.
Keep up the good work!

Kudos Skylab!

I too have really enjoyed his reviews! Skylab is a real asset to Head-fi.

As noted, isn't posting our opinions and discussing them on this site what we all do? Why should Skylab be denied this basic Head-fi right?

FWIW, I have continually seen him give away his reviewed amps for only shipping costs on the F/S fourm (so he's not profiting from them, but yet, we are gaining from his reviews!).

Keep up the great work Mr. Reviewerus Prolificus!
happy_face1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #2,651 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a newbie here but I bought my first portable amp after reading Skylab's reviews (Meier Corda Porta III) . I did not really base my decision on his rankings (though they are handy), but I read what he had to say about each amp in my price range (I could not afford the higher ranked ones) and I zeroed in on the Corda purely for its wide soundstage...

I feel as if I had some part in this
tongue.gif

I was happy for Rob to accept my offer to loan him my Porta Corda...now if I could just get my hands on that new Meier portable amp...which I don't need of course but want.
evil_smiley.gif

Keep up the great work Mr.Skylab
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #2,655 of 3,234
^^ The review you posted is a fine one indeed. However that review is in isolation. One major plus for Skylab's reviews is that he compares the amps to his reference amps so you know where the amp in question stands.

For instance RSA makes many different amps and there are plenty of glowing reviews of them. The issue is how does one come to know which among them is better ? In Skylab's comparison, we can see where each amp stands in relation to other amps.

Of course, Skylabs ranking has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I would bet money that there wouldn't be too many changes if someone else was ranking them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel as if I had some part in this
tongue.gif

I was happy for Rob to accept my offer to loan him my Porta Corda...now if I could just get my hands on that new Meier portable amp...which I don't need of course but want.
evil_smiley.gif

Keep up the great work Mr.Skylab
beerchug.gif

Many thanks to you also !
smily_headphones1.gif

If I was in the US, I would have loved to lend my Ibasso P3+ to Skylab so that he could add that to his list of reviews. But alas I stay a good 13k kms away.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back