Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #2,656 of 3,234
Darn this has taken an unexpected turn. We may not always agree w/ Rob's rankings but ... he does it with his ears, cans, music, oh yeah it is called an OPINION.

The fact the reviews are over time is not an issue since a number of amps are kept as reference points. Plus Rob ranks them in groups. As far as buying an amp not ranked high, yes it happens I recently bought the PA2V2 which I owned back in 2005. Why because of size, price, battery life, Gary's customer service, etc.

Rob, keep it up it is all good!

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #2,657 of 3,234
I'm a huge fan - but Rob, you know that. BTW I finally heard the 3Move today here in HK and the improvement over the Headsix (a fine little amp) was exactly as you described. Jan has confirmed that the Stepdance will be a further step up for IEM use and (surprise, surprise) I am on the waiting list.

I hope to own it even before you review but I also do hope that you review it.

It's a resource, folks. Nothing more and nothing less. However it is coming from a person whose integrity has proved to be 'execute my estate' quality. (Interested, Rob?) Don't read this thread if you don't want to. I am going to keep reading!

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #2,658 of 3,234
Thanks for all the kind words fellas. You're making me blush
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #2,659 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as buying an amp not ranked high, yes it happens I recently bought the PA2V2 which I owned back in 2005. Why because of size, price, battery life, Gary's customer service, etc.

Yes, but that's because you've been on Head-fi for a while.

From the perspective of a new user, this thread appears as a reference because there's a quite an exhaustive list of amps and Skylab is an experienced member. Why would they bother searching more, this thread has it all? Problem is, from my experience and I think even Skylab would agree with me, the difference between a great majority of these portable amps is marginal at most. Combined with the fact that they were all reviewed at different points in time, which means it relies on audio memory and there were no direct comparisons most of the time, the value of a numbered list like that is questionable.

I think Skylab is a valuable member of Head-fi and I appreciate his efforts to write reviews, but I also think that the idea of making numbered lists has negative effects for the community, because it appears as an easy shortcut for the noobs who'll only buy the "best rated" amps to save the effort of reading.

IMO, a big disclaimer should be put on top of the first post to warn readers that it's a VERY subjective review, and that people should listen with their own ears, because it's the opinion of one user only and there certainly isn't any consensus.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #2,660 of 3,234
So in your opinion, the fact that I have "JUST MY OPINION" in all-caps at the end of the review right by the rankings is not sufficient? (I am sincerely asking this question).

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #2,661 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in your opinion, the fact that I have "JUST MY OPINION" in all-caps at the end of the review right by the rankings is not sufficient? (I am sincerely asking this question).

Well, most of the time, people start reading posts by the top, and they don't necessarily read them from the beginning to the end, so yes, I think it'd be better if the disclaimer was on top. Just my 2 cents.

Also, the fact that it's all based on memory should be emphasized.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #2,662 of 3,234
OK. Please read the top of the review now, and the last paragraph of post 8 (which outlines the test methodology).

I believe that is more than sufficient.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #2,664 of 3,234
Cool. Thanks for your comments. I want to have the appropriate disclaimers in place, for people who are new and may not understand what's involved. But I put enough work into this that I am not of a mind to scrap it
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #2,665 of 3,234
I never got around to saying this, though you must get this quite a bit, Skylab, but thank you. I am finally starting on my audiophile journey and this guide gave me an amazing start. I have linked this thread to several friends that are similarly interested. The ranking + prices is probably my favorite bit of your review

I hope one day I can contribute at least 10% of what this thread has done to my development as a headphone addict.
k701smile.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #2,666 of 3,234
Well, I am an opinionated basta^% and as such I will say that if a person is new into the hobby and just wants to read a quick and dirty so as not to spend time doing the research well ... tough luck. If he/she is in such a rush then he/she risks spending money unnecessarily and so be it. I mean, this is not kindergarten where you are spoon fed.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #2,667 of 3,234
Miguel, I am sympathetic to your view. Research is key. I also think that one of the greatest challenges for the just-arrived is to cut through the fanboyism and FOTMism. By identifying a variety of threads from people who combine experience, love of the art, and intregrity, one can really learn a lot. You have to read and read and read. This is one of those threads.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #2,668 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am an opinionated basta^% and as such I will say that if a person is new into the hobby and just wants to read a quick and dirty so as not to spend time doing the research well ... tough luck. If he/she is in such a rush then he/she risks spending money unnecessarily and so be it. I mean, this is not kindergarten where you are spoon fed.

And not for nothing, but they could do a lot worse than going on Skylab's recommendations...

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #2,669 of 3,234
Ok ok, now that the review disclaimers are all settled, someone please lend Skylab some of the popular amps that have not been reviwed like the Ibasso P3+, Headstage Arrow and RSA Protector.
smily_headphones1.gif

Who knows maybe the Protector will become the new reference amp to compare with the 'lesser' amps.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #2,670 of 3,234
I just recently purchased an HD 650 and right now its being plugged into some old Yamaha amplifier HTR 5740. I mostly will use it on my PC but I want a portable amplifier. I dont know if I want an Amp/Dac combo since I dont really have any high end music files to listen to atm.Can you connect an Amp/Dac to a portable CD player and still put out amazing sound?

Amps I have in mind based on Skylabs round up are:

1.Emmeline “The Predator”, Portable USB DAC/AMP
(Includes the universal adapter/charger.) $475.00
2.pico PORTABLE USB DAC / AMP $499.99

For portable set up I will probably just be using my Iphone 3GS with a few 320kbps MP3s for now.

Do you think these selection makes sense even though my source wont be THAT good to begin with? Do you think Amp/Dac combo is what I need or should I just stick to just an AMP for now.If so, what do you have in mind as far as portable Amp that can not only just drive an HD 650 but also put out good Sound Quality.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back