Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #2,686 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not had a chance to audition the new Xin. No real experience with DIY amps, either, sorry.

I would encourage one purchase a DIY amp in the used marketplace (e.g., this forum has a dedicated section) or get a DIYer to build a DIY amp for them, like Pimeta v2. Three years ago (before I went all-DIY) I forked over mucho $$ for a "highly-rated" (and, IMO, over-rated and over-priced) XIN SuperMacro. My Pimeta is so sonically above and beyond the XIN SuperMacro, it's not even funny. The minor trade-off of a slightly larger unit (Pimeta) is a trivial issue, IMO.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2,687 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would encourage one purchase a DIY amp in the used marketplace (e.g., this forum has a dedicated section) or get a DIYer to build a DIY amp for them, like Pimeta v2. Three years ago (before I went all-DIY) I forked over mucho $$ for a "highly-rated" (and, IMO, over-rated and over-priced) XIN SuperMacro. My Pimeta is so sonically above and beyond the XIN SuperMacro, it's not even funny. The minor trade-off of a slightly larger unit (Pimeta) is a trivial issue, IMO.

I had a desktop Pimeta with AD744 that beat up my Xin Super Macro III with AD797 upgrade. I always wondered how they sound with a lower voltage battery supply - I assume the same just not as powerful.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #2,688 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though I already own the Protector myself, but have not yet heard it in balanced mode though.. I would still love to hear your review.

You really need to use it in balanced mode. Power increases a lot so you end up dropping the volume knob, and it definitely sounds better. I only got to do a quick A/B since i sent my 16's in for a refit, but there was noticeable difference! My protector was only burned in via SE too, so not sure if there's burn in to do on the balanced sections.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #2,689 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a desktop Pimeta with AD744 that beat up my Xin Super Macro III with AD797 upgrade. I always wondered how they sound with a lower voltage battery supply - I assume the same just not as powerful.

Yeah...I also rolled various op-amps thru my Xin SM, incl. AD797, OPA627, AD825, AD8620, etc. The AD825 is probably best -- it's a sleeper op-amp if there ever one one!
I also tricked n' tweaked the Xin SM out in several ways, including op-amp bypass caps and snubbers (to Xin's credit, he does provide landing pads to add extra SMD caps). Alas, not a whole lot of room in there to do much else.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2,690 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really need to use it in balanced mode. Power increases a lot so you end up dropping the volume knob, and it definitely sounds better. I only got to do a quick A/B since i sent my 16's in for a refit, but there was noticeable difference! My protector was only burned in via SE too, so not sure if there's burn in to do on the balanced sections.

Hi OPTiK, I'm waiting for Craig over at Whiplash Audio to return from vacation so I can then get my TWag cables reterminated. I can't wait to hear this thing balanced!

May 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #2,691 of 3,234
Adding Ray Samuels Audio "The Protector" and the Musashi Sound Technology Fi.Quest, AND a change to the Ranking System

Ray Samuels Audio “The Protector” Balanced Portable Amp

info: http://raysamuelsaudio.com/products/protector

The Protector is billed as the world’s first Balanced Portable amp. I actually know of no other balanced portable amp, so this is a reasonable claim. When used via its balanced output, The Protector phase-splits the input and amplifies the signal in balanced mode.

All of the below describes the amp IN BALANCED MODE, using the HifiMan HE-5 and the DT880/600. I did use the amp in single-ended mode, and in that regard it is still very good, but not quite as good as the P-51 Mustang. I would not recommend The Protector unless you plan to use it to drive balanced headphones.

Build Quality: A+: Typical RSA portable amp – about the best combination of excellent build quality and nice looks that you get No audible hiss whatsoever in low gain – in medium and high, there was some hiss at the very highest levels, but not enough to be an issue, since if you use that much gain you would be deaf soon anyway.

Treble: A+: A very slightly shelved down very top end, and a but very clean high end overall, and with outstanding detail. There is a natural quality to The Protector’s treble that is a little hard to describe unless you hear it. It’s effortless, grain-free, transparent, and smooth, while revealing lots of detail.

Midrange: A+: Mids were very slightly forward, although not grainy or unnatural sounding. And they were very transparent, and the overall the midrange of The Protector was astonishingly clean and transparent, to a degree that is normally reserved only to home amps. The acoustic guitar from Porcupine Tree’s “Stars Die” from “We Lost the Skyline” was extremely natural sounding, again in a way that is quite surprising.

Bass: A+: The Protector has weighty, deep, tight, and well controlled bass that is very well defined. RSA amps have all had a full, tight bass, and this is the case here too. It is hard to imagine wanting better bass out of a portable amp, or really any amp. The bass guitar and kickdrum intro on The Hush Sound’s “Medicine Man” was stunningly impactful.

Neutrality: A: Would be an A+ except for the slightly forward mids, which work a little better on some headphones than others. This is a much more subtle coloration than you get on most portable amps, but this amp has been aimed at the big boys, and in the context of that, it’s not more neutral, strictly speaking, than the other top tier headphones.

Soundstaging: A+: Soundstaging was truly a strength. Lateral image placement was very stable and well defined, and instruments floated in real space. Width and depth were absolutely among the very best if not the best there is in a portable amp, and again competitive in this regard with many home amps.

Transparency: A+: This also was excellent. The Protector is a highly transparent amp, to a simply amazing degree.

So used as a balanced amp, The Protector is a real little marvel. It’s capable of a VERY big sound, and makes portable balanced listening a real possibility. That said, The Protector uses a special connector, and so the user will need to either recable using it, or use an adapter from it to existing XLR balanced connectors (which is what I did). The latter is not all that practical for true portable use. So these issues do have to be considered, depending on what your use goals for The Protector are. There is no denying the sound is outstanding. Ergonomically, for me personally, the amp isn’t really useful other than as a battery-powered home amp, but if you have some high-end IEM’s you can recable for balanced, I can imagine The Protector would be just the ticket.

Musashi Sound Technology fi.Quest

Info: n/a

I was sent a Fi.Quest “portable” amp loaner sample to review. The version I received as the “Maxxed FX” version, and was fitted with Linear Tech LT1028ACN op-amps (which can be rolled). The fi.Quest is battery powered, and can be charged. It’s got a serious battery power supply – 24V! And as a result, it’s huge. Very big, and heavy. Like the Lisa III, it’s really more “transportable” than “portable”, in my book, but it is battery powered. Analog in and analog out only – no DAC. 3 position gain switch, and 3 position bass level switch – flat and two boost levels (about which, more later). The power supply on the back has a switch for two charging modes – one where you can use the amp still at 24V (which I guess charges more slowly), one where the amp delivers less voltage (16.8V), and one mode where charging is disabled and the PS is “isolated” (I assume this means from the charger, in the event that you had it connected).

Build Quality: A: Nothing sexy here, but rock solid. Sturdy metal chassis that is very well built. In low gain mode it was completely silent with the Edition 8. It was basically silent in medium gain. There was audible hiss at every level in the high gain mode – not enough to really be in the way of the music, but when no music was playing, it was audible. However, even in low gain mode, there was PLENTY of gain! I couldn’t really use anything but low gain mode.

Treble: A+: Treble was just slightly laid back, I felt, but still seemed to have excellent extension, and was super-smooth, with good detail. The cymbals on “Cosmic Thing” were very natural, and didn’t sound splashy, although they sound like they are being pounded, which is how they are recorded, so that’s a good thing. This is great treble performance – smooth, extended, and detailed, but with zero etch, grain, or unnatural force.

Midrange: A+: Mids were just slightly on the lush side, but certainly in no way did they sound unnatural. There was an incredibly high degree of midrange transparency on tap here. Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson’s vocals on “Topaz” were mesmerizingly clean, and beautiful. The guitars on “Cosmic Thing” were crunchy, but with great nuance. The fi.Quest is a very impressive performer here.

Bass: A+: Bass was weighty, tight, punchy, and deep, and very well defined. I never wanted or needed the bass boost, although it is quite subtle and might be very useful for some headphones. There has not been a portable amp that has surpassed it in this regard. The bass lines in “Topaz” from the new Audio Fidelity remaster of the B-52’s “Cosmic Thing” was delivered in full measure, and it really propels that song. So was the bass and kick-drum combo from the title track of “Cosmic Egg” by Wolfmother – driving and propelling, but not in any way bloated or overbearing.

Neutrality: A: The very slight departures from neutral, the very slightly lush mids and the very slight degree to which the treble was laid back are all a very good way to go if you’re going to depart from neutral, IMO. And of course you can change this somewhat by rolling op-amps.

Soundstaging: A-: Soundstaging was the one area where I thought the fi.Quest was a bit short of the best. It was neither the deepest or widest I have heard. It’s well defined, and convincing enough, but compared to the very best, it is a little “middle of the head”. Very good, but not outstanding.

Transparency: A+: Here again the fi.Quest also was excellent – recordings where this is critical, like Muddy Waters “Folk Singer”, were a delight. There was no grain, etch, veil, or any other anomaly in the way of the music.

Should the fi.Quest even be in this list? It’s up there in size with the Lisa III, which I couldn’t fully consider a “portable” amp. Similarly, I would never use the fi.Quest as a portable amp myself, and as good as it is, I am not going to stop using my tube amps and use the fi.Quest. But if you want a great amp to shuttle back and forth between home and office, more than one to use on the train, then the fi.Quest should be on your very short list. The sound is absolutely outstanding. I know the fi.Quest is quite large, and so calling it a portable is a bit of a stretch. But the sonics it delivers are really astounding, and put it up there at the very pinnacle of battery powered amps of any kind, let alone truly portable ones. Very impressive amp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusions (5-6-10)

OK, so now it’s now 53 amps! NOTE: I have decided to change the way the rankings work. I have created LEVELS, rather than individual ranks. As before, note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long. Also please note that even if these amps include a DAC, that DAC performance was NOT a factor in these rankings AT ALL. Also, for clarification, this ranking is based on sound quality ONLY, and does not take things like size or battery life into account.

Level 1:

Triad Audio Lisa III @ $600.00; Power supply is $350 additional
MST Fi.Quest, @ $450
Ray Samuels Audio The Protector (in BALANCED mode only), @ $475

Level 2:

Qables iQube @ $605.00
RSA Mustang P-51 (review here) @ $375.00
Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2 (availability unknown - PLEASE read entire review)

Level 3:

Headamp Pico @ $349.00
Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE) (3MOVE @ $270.00)
iBasso Audio D4 Mamba @ $219 (Review Here )
RSA SR71 @ $395.00 (original SR71, not the SR71A)
RSA The Predator @ $475.00
RSA The Hornet “M” @ $370.00

Level 4:

Decware Zenhead @ $295.00
Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
RSA Tomahawk @ $295.00
Meier Audio XXS / Headsix @ $166.00/187.00

Level 5:

TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid @ $459.00
iBasso D3 Python $219.00 (review here)
Xin Reference @ $279.99
Meier Audio Porta Corda III (discontinued)
Xin SuperMicro IV (current version auditioned 1/22/08) @ $199.99

Level 6:

ALO Double Mini3 (review here) @ $235.00
Headamp AE-2 @ $349.00
Graham Slee Voyager @ $233.00 + S&H from UK
Linearrosa W3 @ $299 (review here )
Leckerton Audio UHA-6S @ $309 (review Here )
iBasso D2 Boa $165.00 (review here)
Go-Vibe 7
Mini3 (Price depends on build) built @ $125.00

Level 7:

Leckerton Audio UHA-3 @ $189.00
iBasso T3 @ $119.00 (Review here)
Portaphile V2^2 @ $275.00
Linearrosa W1 (review here )
mSeed Spirit (discontinued)
Mini-Box E @ $229.00
Storm 3 (NOT B3) (review here)
Storm Little-2 (review here)

Level 7:

Storm B4
Visely HEA-4 @ $149.00 (Review here)
iBasso P-1 (discontinued)
Visely HEA- 1 @ $135.00
Microshar uAmp107 @ $135.00
Practical Devices XM4 @ $135.00
C&C XO @ $209.00

Level 8:

Music Max LT1 $99 (Review here)
iBasso T2 (T4@ $109.00)
NuForce $99 (review here)
Go-Vibe 6 (discontinued)
Xtra X-1 Pro @ $104.00
Xenos 0HA-REP (discontinued)
iBasso T1 (discontinued)
Xtra X-1 (discontinued)
C&C Box V2
Storm B3
Little Dot Micro+ (discontinued)

I apologize in advance if you liked the old ranking system better, but as this review has gone on over time, and as it has grown, I think this is a better approach.  As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

May 6, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #2,692 of 3,234
Very enjoyable and useful review, as always. I have not invested a lot on portables since I value the convenience of portability. When I decide to upgrade, the P51 sounds like a good choice given its small size..
Would love to see the Headstage Arrow and TTVJ Slim in your list.

May 6, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #2,693 of 3,234
Honestly don't see how anyone can review err what was it 53 amps lol as an ongoing review over a period of more than 2 years. The amount of variables to make any kind of classification system here is stagerring and completely non-sensical.

I can see the point in perhaps reviewing a product by itself or atmost comparing it to one or two other competitors at hand, but to rank them with stuff you heard nearing 3 years ago is worthy of raising both my eyebrows and go WTH!!

Edit: And yes, i did read your "review methodology" on post #8. I still think you are better off breaking it up into separate reviews for each product rather than clubbing/ranking them here like this.

All IMHO of course.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2,696 of 3,234
Hey Skylab, nice review of the FiQ mate, if opamps have a bearing on any thing its soundstage, My amp, after some pretty serious remodelling, (which is what this amp is about) has one of the most convincing out of the head soundstages I have heard from a portable, in fact on any level. i'm using stacked buf634 plus discrete diamond buffers stacked on top of that, or rather on the other side of the PCB and AD797, with a notable improvement in transparency from using TX2575 naked resistors for the buffer wideband mode and the amp space is alive. too right on the bass! I find myself using it more than the lisa these days and especialy with IEMs, because the low gain setting works wonders with them.
also to clear a couple of things up, the amp has an 18 volt battery or rather a +/-9vdc bipolar center tapped battery, the amp is only running on 24 volts on the high power AC setting when using gthe pretty serious transformer based wall wart (which I have also gone to town on) and the charge and isolated setting allows you to charge the battery, but be running on DC from the regulator

1 as running with 24V supply from PSU, and ALSO charging with 16.8V to battery.
2 as running with 24V supply from PSU, and NOT charging to battery.
In other words, when choosing 2, orange LED will never light.
3 as running with 16.8V supply via regulator, and ALSO charging to battery.
When choosing 3, Orange LED will never die. 

you think you saw power, try setting the switch for output current ratio to 1:5:5 mode :) normal is 1:1:1 so the opamp/top side buffer sockets/bottom side buffer sockets are all sharing the load equally, which provides lower noise and better stabilty, but in the other mode the opamp is only 1/11th of the output currents!! hehe serious grunt

I also love this amp with HD600, as I have said here before, its close to as good as I have heard them on any amp, when using my buffalo as source. its the only portable including lisa, where I have felt they truly opened up. the OPA827 works very well for low noise, power and fantastic SS too. I havent used the LT parts you mention in anything but a regulator. probably wise you didnt attempt to cover the various opamp choices, as they are to numerous; this amp has enough current to drive pretty much any OPAMP you choose to try

May 7, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #2,697 of 3,234
Hi Qusp, thanks for the clarifications and information - I will update my review a little later today.  I do find that it's tough to review every op-amp choice, and the amp sounded so good with the Liner Tech op-amps, which is what Ryuzoh chose to send in it, that I didn't want to invest a whole bunch of time in op-amp rolling, as it makes for a very long process :wink:

@ the Headstage and ALO amps - not likely these will be coming.  Next up is the Meier StepDance.

May 7, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #2,699 of 3,234
hey Skylab, sorry if it seemed like I was criticizing your review process mate, not at all, i'm impressed you took it on at all because of that issue. I think choosing one opamp and one opamp only to review was your best option, as if you started rolling you wouldnt have been able to stop anyway :wink: I realize I wasnt very clear above, its an 18v battery, but the output current (portable) is set to 16.8 when full on the stock unit. which is about the same as the protector I gather; but when on the included fairly decent AC power supply its 24v. then you have all the internal switches, its a shapeshifter for sure, it is what you want it to be....except maybe slim :D

May 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #2,700 of 3,234
No worries qusp, I thought your post was excellent and helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back