Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #2,671 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok ok, now that the review disclaimers are all settled, someone please lend Skylab some of the popular amps that have not been reviwed like the Ibasso P3+, Headstage Arrow and RSA Protector.
smily_headphones1.gif

Who knows maybe the Protector will become the new reference amp to compare with the 'lesser' amps.

The RSA Protector is on it's way back to me for review and it will be added to this list in the coming weeks.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #2,672 of 3,234
Looking forward to your review of the amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RSA Protector is on it's way back to me for review and it will be added to this list in the coming weeks.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #2,673 of 3,234
Quote:

Skylab, please make sure you have at least 300-400 hours of burn in on the Protector. My Portector is at 450 hrs, though not comparing every 50 hours but I felt it has gotten a little smoother with just a little bit more hours.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #2,674 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by subzerorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recently purchased an HD 650 and right now its being plugged into some old Yamaha amplifier HTR 5740. I mostly will use it on my PC but I want a portable amplifier. I dont know if I want an Amp/Dac combo since I dont really have any high end music files to listen to atm.Can you connect an Amp/Dac to a portable CD player and still put out amazing sound?

Amps I have in mind based on Skylabs round up are:

1.Emmeline “The Predator”, Portable USB DAC/AMP
(Includes the universal adapter/charger.) $475.00
2.pico PORTABLE USB DAC / AMP $499.99

For portable set up I will probably just be using my Iphone 3GS with a few 320kbps MP3s for now.

Do you think these selection makes sense even though my source wont be THAT good to begin with? Do you think Amp/Dac combo is what I need or should I just stick to just an AMP for now.If so, what do you have in mind as far as portable Amp that can not only just drive an HD 650 but also put out good Sound Quality.

Thanks

HD650 need more power than you can get from most portables, so if you need a portable amp the Protector is the best choice (must be running in balanced mode for the bump in power); with 3MOVE close behind in second, and the Pico behind that in power but still ahead of the Predator.

Instead of an amp with integrated DAC, you could feed the Protector with a $99 uDAC and get great sound, and almost not believe you are using portable gear. And the uDAC RCA out feeding the amp will be an upgrade to the 3MOVE's or Predator's DAC as well.

The Pico amp with DAC will have a better DAC than the 3MOVE/Predator, and the DAC is a little better than the RCA out of the uDAC, but Pico will have a little less power than the Protector or 3MOVE. Still, Pico has a bit more power than the Predator for HD650 and if you only want to chose between the two amps you listed the Pico would be the one for HD650.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #2,676 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pico amp with DAC will have a better DAC than the 3MOVE/Predator, and the DAC is a little better than the RCA out of the uDAC

Hi headphoneaddict, is there a better portable DAC better than the DAC section of the PICO Amp/DAC with similar size?
Thnaks

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #2,677 of 3,234
Jalo the answer is yes, no, or maybe. A lot depends on the sound you are looking for and the DAC synergism's with the rest of your gear. Part of the equation is how you are going to feed the dac: optical, coaxial, or USB. If using USB to feed the DAC then the D4 Mamba would be my top choice specially w/ a TopKit from HiFlight. Ideally you should listen to the various DAC's so you make the decision. Any meets close to you?

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #2,678 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jalo the answer is yes, no, or maybe. A lot depends on the sound you are looking for and the DAC synergism's with the rest of your gear. Part of the equation is how you are going to feed the dac: optical, coaxial, or USB. If using USB to feed the DAC then the D4 Mamba would be my top choice specially w/ a TopKit from HiFlight. Ideally you should listen to the various DAC's so you make the decision. Any meets close to you?

Thanks for the yes, no and maybe. I should be more specific. I am trying to find a better stand alone portable USB DAC that I can use on the road from a laptop setup. As far as DAC is concern, I just want the best clean, neutral DAC. I can adjust the rest with my amp and phone.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #2,679 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the yes, no and maybe. I should be more specific. I am trying to find a better stand alone portable USB DAC that I can use on the road from a laptop setup. As far as DAC is concern, I just want the best clean, neutral DAC. I can adjust the rest with my amp and phone.

Then you got an answer, for USB the iBasso D4.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #2,680 of 3,234
Quote:

Then you got an answer, for USB the iBasso D4.

Even better than the Pico DAC? if so, by how much? I do appreciate you take on the DAC.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #2,681 of 3,234
Quote:

Hi headphoneaddict, is there a better portable DAC better than the DAC section of the PICO Amp/DAC with similar size?
Thnaks

Quote:

Quote:

Even better than the Pico DAC? if so, by how much? I do appreciate you take on the DAC.

I'd say the D4 sounds very much like the Pico DAC, and the power is close with 9v battery, but it only runs 8-10 hours on battery vs 30.

The CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC/amp is my favorite portable USB DAC, but it's not going to have the power you want for HD650. It drives the HD600 just well enough to get a little louder than I usually listen, but wont have the impact of the Protector or 3MOVE. So you'd have to feed the output into a more powerful amp like you would with the uDAC. It's USB only and no battery, so it's portable in the sense that your laptop is portable. Using it as a DAC/pre-amp actually works quite well, and I like to feed the DACport into the Protector. But it's also $399 as a 24/96 USB DAC.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #2,682 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the D4 sounds very much like the Pico DAC, and the power is close with 9v battery, but it only runs 8-10 hours on battery vs 30.

The CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC/amp is my favorite portable USB DAC, but it's not going to have the power you want for HD650. It drives the HD600 just well enough to get a little louder than I usually listen, but wont have the impact of the Protector or 3MOVE. So you'd have to feed the output into a more powerful amp like you would with the uDAC. It's USB only and no battery, so it's portable in the sense that your laptop is portable. Using it as a DAC/pre-amp actually works quite well, and I like to feed the DACport into the Protector. But it's also $399 as a 24/96 USB DAC.

Thanks Larry, I did went back and read some 30 pages of the D4 thread after I posted above and noted your opinion . Thanks for your patient and willingness to repeat something that you already said in another thread. I hate to divert from this thread but since we are on the topics, I heard some new DACs are coming out may be with the Sabre chip, do you think that will take the current DAC to a newer level?

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #2,683 of 3,234
Quote:

Thanks Larry, I did went back and read some 30 pages of the D4 thread after I posted above and noted your opinion . Thanks for your patient and willingness to repeat something that you already said in another thread. I hate to divert from this thread but since we are on the topics, I heard some new DACs are coming out may be with the Sabre chip, do you think that will take the current DAC to a newer level?

No idea.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #2,685 of 3,234
Quote:

Even though I already own the Protector myself, but have not yet heard it in balanced mode though.. I would still love to hear your review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back