Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Mar 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #2,626 of 3,234
> Leckerton Audio UHA-6S

Info: Leckerton Audio - Products - UHA-6S

I received a loaner of the UHA-6S from Leckerton Audio. The UHA-6S is both a DAC and a headphone amp. It has both USB and Toslink optical inputs to the DAC, as well as an analog input, and the headphone output. There is a 2-position gain switch. The DAC is said to support up to 96/24 audio. As I have done throughout this process, my review was based on just the headphone amp from the analog input, but I did briefly test the DAC, and found it to offer excellent sound from both the USB and TOSLink inputs.
Build Quality: A: Very solid, sturdy metal case. Not really anything very exciting to look at but very solid. It had only a barely noticeable turn on “tick”, and was dead quiet. There is nothing sexy here, but definitely there IS good build quality.

Treble: A-: A slightly soft but very clean high end, and with good detail. Compared to the iQube, it lacks a little top end air and extension, but the treble is quite smooth otherwise and in general provides very good performance. Will be best not to pair it with dark sounding headphones, though.

Midrange: A: Mids were very slightly lush and warm, although in no way think or syrupy. And they were very transparent, and the overall the midrange sounded clean and transparent, lending the amp a very open sound. The acoustic guitar from Porcupine Tree’s “We Lost The Skyline” was extremely natural sounding, with real body to the guitar, and a great sense of presence on the strings.

Bass: A: Deep, tight, and well controlled. Compared to my reference amps, it was perhaps just a tiny bit fat in the bass in terms of weight. But the punchiness was not diminished, and the bass was in no way thick or slow, just a tiny bit overweight versus strictly neutral.

Neutrality: A-: As you can see from the above, the amp leans slightly toward the warm and mellow side, although this is not a defining trait. The overall performance is very smooth; but with a slightly downward-sloping character. Best with neutral or slightly lively headphones.

Soundstaging: A: Soundstaging I felt was excellent. Lateral image placement was well defined, and instruments had good solidity. Width and depth were very good. Just short of the absolute best, but nonetheless very good.

Transparency: A: This also was excellent. There was no grain, etch, veil, or any other anomaly in the way of the music. The UHA-6S was a very transparent amplifier with all of the headphones I tried.

As with the Linearrosa W3, I feel a little bad about judging the UHA-6S just as an amp using its analog input – but that is what my methodology has been for this entire review. There are better values in portable amps that do not have DACs. I would not buy the 6S if I did not plan to use the DAC. At $309, the UHA-6S is a very nice product, but faces some very stiff competition for what it delivers. I only recommend it for people who want a TOSlink input and where the slightly warm and mellow sound will make a good fit. A good solid product, but not a groundbreaker.

Conclusions (3-24-10)

OK, so now it’s now 51 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long. Also please note that even if these amps include a DAC, that DAC performance was NOT a factor in these rankings AT ALL. Also, for clarification, this ranking is based on sound quality ONLY, and does not take things like size or battery life into account.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III @ $600.00; Power supply is $350 additional
2. Qables iQube @ $605.00
2. RSA Mustang P-51 (review here) @ $375.00
2. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2 (availability unknown - PLEASE read entire review)
3. Headamp Pico @ $349.00
3. Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE) (3MOVE @ $270.00)
3. iBasso Audio D4 Mamba @ $219 (Review Here )
4. RSA SR71 @ $395.00 (original SR71, not the SR71A)
4. RSA The Predator @ $475.00
5. RSA The Hornet “M” @ $370.00
5. Decware Zenhead @ $295.00
6. Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
7. RSA Tomahawk @ $295.00
7. Meier Audio XXS / Headsix @ $166.00/187.00
8. TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid @ $459.00
8. iBasso D3 Python $219.00 (review here)
9. Xin Reference @ $279.99
9. Meier Audio Porta Corda III (discontinued)
9. Xin SuperMicro IV (current version auditioned 1/22/08) @ $199.99
10. ALO Double Mini3 (review here) @ $235.00
10. Headamp AE-2 @ $349.00
10. Graham Slee Voyager @ $233.00 + S&H from UK
10. Linearrosa W3 @ $299 (review here )
10. Leckerton Audio UHA-6S @ $309
11. iBasso D2 Boa $165.00 (review here)
11. Go-Vibe 7
11. Mini3 (Price depends on build) built @ $125.00
12. Leckerton Audio UHA-3 @ $189.00
12. iBasso T3 @ $119.00 (Review here)
13. Portaphile V2^2 @ $275.00
13. Linearrosa W1 (review here )
14. mSeed Spirit (discontinued)
14. Mini-Box E @ $229.00
15. Storm 3 (NOT B3) (review here)
15. Storm Little-2 (review here)
15. Storm B4
16. Visely HEA-4 @ $149.00 (Review here
16. iBasso P-1 (discontinued)
17. Visely HEA- 1 @ $135.00
18. Microshar uAmp107 @ $135.00
18. Practical Devices XM4 @ $135.00
18. C&C XO @ $209.00
19 Music Max LT1 $99 (Review here)
19. iBasso T2 (T4@ $109.00)
20. NuForce $99 (review here)
20. Go-Vibe 6 (discontinued)
21. Xtra X-1 Pro @ $104.00
22. Xenos 0HA-REP (discontinued)
22. iBasso T1 (discontinued)
23. Xtra X-1 (discontinued)
24. C&C Box V2
25. Storm B3
25. Little Dot Micro+ (discontinued)

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2,627 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W1

The W1 is very small and light.
[...]

Quick question for you, Skylab, about the W1: how is the channel balance at low volumes? It seems that this amp may have slightly lower output than others in the price range... which may be good for me, actually.

Looking for $100 (or less) amp which will work well with my (sensitive) UM3X at low volume levels. Thoughts?

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #2,628 of 3,234
I did not notice any imbalance, but I no longer have the review loaner to check with, sorry.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #2,629 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not notice any imbalance, but I no longer have the review loaner to check with, sorry.

S'okay. Thanks for the help!
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #2,630 of 3,234
Great review, it's really helping me make my decision on what amp to get. I have Shure SE530's right now and am debating getting either custom moldings for them or upgrading to the 3/UM3X (whichever is bassier, I'm kinda a bass-head). I was wondering if anyone could tell me which amp would have the ultimate bass, it seems that RSA make really quality products and I am leaning towards their predator model. They are kinda pricy though and my budget may not warrant an RSA purchase and I really like the ability to adjust the bass, mids, and trebles on the amp. Do you all think the PD XM5 would be a better choice for me, or does anyone have any other suggestions for bass-heavy portable amps? I mean iBasso seems like a viable option just considering its name...Any input would be much appreciated, thank you.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #2,631 of 3,234
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

As an amp soley, which sounds better paired with the re0's out of an iPod, 3Move or Arrow 12HE? Using the line out.

If DAC was to be taken into consideration, running from a desktop into Denon D2000's, is it worth getting the arrow + a seperate DAC or the 3Move Combo, keeping in mine that the Re0's will be used on the go with an iPod?

By seperate DAC, I refer to something like the DAC cable or a uDAC (or something similar in price to those).

Much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #2,632 of 3,234
I notice that you haven't included the P3+ in your comparision Skylab. Of course you can't include every amp out there, but I'm just wondering - is there a reason you haven't reviewed the P3+? I keep reading it's great, sometimes people say the amp is better than the one found in D4 Mamba. And since D4 Mamba is top 5 in your review I'm a bit interested in your view of the P3+. Thanks!

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #2,635 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyFine Shindig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

As an amp soley, which sounds better paired with the re0's out of an iPod, 3Move or Arrow 12HE? Using the line out.

If DAC was to be taken into consideration, running from a desktop into Denon D2000's, is it worth getting the arrow + a seperate DAC or the 3Move Combo, keeping in mine that the Re0's will be used on the go with an iPod?

By seperate DAC, I refer to something like the DAC cable or a uDAC (or something similar in price to those).

Much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sorry, but not having heard the Re0's, I can't answer this question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice that you haven't included the P3+ in your comparision Skylab. Of course you can't include every amp out there, but I'm just wondering - is there a reason you haven't reviewed the P3+? I keep reading it's great, sometimes people say the amp is better than the one found in D4 Mamba. And since D4 Mamba is top 5 in your review I'm a bit interested in your view of the P3+. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if some amp isn't in this list it is because makers of it are not confident about their product and are afraid to send it to skylab. imo

No one has offered me the P3+ to review. So I have not reviewed it. Simple as that
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #2,638 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if some amp isn't in this list it is because makers of it are not confident about their product and are afraid to send it to skylab. imo

I personally oppose Skylab's execution of an ordered ranking of the portable amps he's reviewed for three reasons: (1) Ranking more than one of anything, especially headphone amps, involves both subjectivity and multiple complicated criteria. What can make one amp rank higher (or lower) than another? Amps are not just all about their sound either and also have different feature sets, aesthetics, & form factors. (2) Who's going to buy any of the amps that are lower in the rankings? And will anyone really want to buy the 3rd, 5th, or 8th top amp? Of course I can't presume to speak for any vendors but I can't help but wonder if the fact that Skylab ranks reviewed products might influence some vendors' decisions whether to send him gear or not. (3) Is the entire ranking still even valid considering the timeframe that's passed since the first portable amp that was reviewed until now, and the additional experience that Skylab has cumulatively acquired, and any differences in his sources and/or headphones since then?

Personally I have more respect for vendors who choose not to send their amps to Skylab for the above-listed reasons.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #2,639 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally oppose Skylab's execution of an ordered ranking of the portable amps he's reviewed for three reasons: (1) Ranking more than one of anything, especially headphone amps, involves both subjectivity and multiple complicated criteria. What can make one amp rank higher (or lower) than another? Amps are not just all about their sound either and also have different feature sets, aesthetics, & form factors. (2) Who's going to buy any of the amps that are lower in the rankings? And will anyone really want to buy the 3rd, 5th, or 8th top amp? Of course I can't presume to speak for any vendors but I can't help but wonder if the fact that Skylab ranks reviewed products might influence some vendors' decisions whether to send him gear or not. (3) Is the entire ranking still even valid considering the timeframe that's passed since the first portable amp that was reviewed until now, and the additional experience that Skylab has cumulatively acquired, and any differences in his sources and/or headphones since then?

Personally I have more respect for vendors who choose not to send their amps to Skylab for the above-listed reasons.

You make some good points, especially regarding the extended time frame. There is also the issue of synergy with certain phones that isn't fleshed out. However, I think that most people reading this thread will recognize that these rankings are simply Rob's preferences in amps; and the reader would look at the actual comments about the sound and build, and then use that to aid in their decision and not use the rank alone to make their decision.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #2,640 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ad 1. For me knowing that this is just Skylabs own taste and HIS opinion for making the list makes it ok to have a personal list - and share it with the rest of us.

ad 2. I would like to buy the number 10 - 12 or 14 on the list if the price / sound-quality ratio was good enough for me or for other people on this forum.

I also think that synergy with headphones is very important - Which is why I think it is great that we can see exactly what other equipment the amplifiers on this list have been tested with.

I have to admit that I am one of the Skylab-followers. Being on a limited budget and living in the hill-billy area of Denmark I have no way to ever get to listen to all the great stuff people write about here. I go to all local meets, help arrange meets, visit HiFi stores when traveling I try to get all the impressions I can from other sources. But really I do understand your concern and I agree to your points. I just have to say that after following this forum for some years I find that Skylab is one of the reviewers here whose taste is very close to my own - as far as I can read. So for me it is of GREAT value to read what he says to all the new amplifiers, portable and desktop - and even headphones. It is not the only source and opinion for me to make a buying decision - but a strong indication that if he thinks it is good - then there is a good chance I will like it too.

What could help to even this more out would be if more people would pour the same amount of energy, resources and time into listening to so many different products and start making their own lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back