Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #2,596 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not have a pic of those amps together, no. I have personally continued to use the iQube as my main portable headphone amp, and it has always delivered world class sound.

Hi Skylab
How does the iQube drive the Beyerdynamic T1? Have you tried that yet - or is it even worth driving 600 Ohm cans form a portable?

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #2,597 of 3,234
I would never bother to drive 600 ohm cans from a portable, no.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #2,598 of 3,234
OK - I guess I wil have to try it myself then
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #2,599 of 3,234
I too would not pick any portable as my first (or second) choice amp with 600 ohm headphones. The ALO Amphora, 3MOVE and TTVJ portable Millett hybrid can almost drive my 600 ohm AKG K240M adequately, but nothing like a desktop amp with good voltage swing.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #2,600 of 3,234
There is no doubt about that. Of course a desktop amplifier will do a better job. The reason why I ask is that I have been surprised by the iQube before and what it can do. And as I am waiting for the T1 to arrive I am just wondering if the T1 will ever be one of the headphones I could bring with me on trips. But that depends on if it can be driven properly - or maybe just decently - by a portable. I guess time will tell.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #2,601 of 3,234
If you are willing to take the T1 on trips, you're braver than I am
biggrin.gif
It is plenty rugged, but I still don;t like traveling with stuff that expensive.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #2,602 of 3,234
Quote:

If you are willing to take the T1 on trips, you're braver than I am
biggrin.gif
It is plenty rugged, but I still don;t like traveling with stuff that expensive.

Ahh - I don't think I am brave. I am definitely not talking backpacking in the jungle with the T1.
ph34r.gif
More like going to a caravan or places where things are under control. Maybe the LISA III will do a better job.
normal_smile .gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #2,603 of 3,234
Excellent write up. Thanks for taking the time. Bookmarked for future reference.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2,604 of 3,234
Skylab, you mention you would never bother to drive a 600 ohm headphone from a portable... but in your testing methodology you mention that your current tests include using your DT880/600s? Is using these headphones merely a test, and you don't really recommend this setup?

On a related note, I'm really curious how the ibasso D4 performed with the DT880/600s (if you tried). Is it a comfortable enough setup until a higher voltage swing desktop amp is in play? Or does it do an injustice to both the headphones and amp?

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #2,605 of 3,234
Thanks for reminding me that the Methodology post was in bad need of an update!

I actually only tried the 600 ohm Beyers as a sort of stress test. 600 ohm headphones and portable amps just are not really a good match. That's not the strong suit of a portable amp at all. In some cases it will work OK, but not ideally.

So if I owned 600 ohm headphones, I would not buy a portable amp as a temporary measure, when there are good home amps that are under $300 that will work better. I would start with an inexpensive home amp, and then upgrade later if desired.

And if I were building a portable rig, I would not use 600 ohm headphones.

I hope that helps.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #2,606 of 3,234
Quote:

Thanks for reminding me that the Methodology post was in bad need of an update!

I actually only tried the 600 ohm Beyers as a sort of stress test. 600 ohm headphones and portable amps just are not really a good match. That's not the strong suit of a portable amp at all. In some cases it will work OK, but not ideally.

So if I owned 600 ohm headphones, I would not buy a portable amp as a temporary measure, when there are good home amps that are under $300 that will work better. I would start with an inexpensive home amp, and then upgrade later if desired.

And if I were building a portable rig, I would not use 600 ohm headphones.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the details.

The case I'm in is definitely temporary, for a home setup. I have a D4 coming to be used as a DAC for home and it will also see some portable use with my Westone 3s. I also have DT880/600s coming that I bought intending to buy the Little Dot MKIII to drive them. I tried to order the MKIII, but they are on break for Chinese new year, so I can't order it for a couple weeks. So now I'm kind of bummed, but curious how the D4 will drive the DT880s until I can get the MKIII. I'll be curious if what I'm hearing is total crap compared to how it will sound with the MKIII, or if it's reasonably reasonable (but not ideal).

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #2,607 of 3,234
Well if it's THAT temporary, no big deal - it'll work OK.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2,608 of 3,234
Quote:

Well if it's THAT temporary, no big deal - it'll work OK.

Cool, thanks
darthsmile.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #2,609 of 3,234
I hate to keep pestering you, but one last question about the D4 ... would it be suitable to drive the W3s without an impedance adapter? The W3s are rated at 30 ohms. I noticed you test with the Denon AH-D7000s which seem to have an impedance of 25 ohms, but I think there's more to it than just impedance right?

If I do need an impedance adapter, would something like 75 ohms do the trick?

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2,610 of 3,234
I'm sorry - what are W3s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back