Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 13, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #2,582 of 3,234
This is an awesome resource for those of us who are new to this hobby. There are no resources in my vacinity that allow me to personally hear anything. I will have to just go off of Head-fier recommendations and make a leap of faith.

Did I miss it or have you not reviewed the ALO Rx? Rx, Hornet M, Graham Slee, Meier Move 3 seem to be on the top of my list.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #2,583 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubrmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an awesome resource for those of us who are new to this hobby. There are no resources in my vacinity that allow me to personally hear anything. I will have to just go off of Head-fier recommendations and make a leap of faith.

Did I miss it or have you not reviewed the ALO Rx? Rx, Hornet M, Graham Slee, Meier Move 3 seem to be on the top of my list.

I'm extremely interested in Skylab doing a ALO Rx review, as this has been on my to-buy list but there just aren't that many reviews on it

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #2,584 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Rob, I think it's time that you change your thread title by replacing 37 with 48.

Actually I have tried, but for some reason it cannot be changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubrmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have not been offered an ALO Rx to review - and Ken at ALO knows where to find me
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #2,586 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey Skylab,

the Mamba D4 you reviewed got only the stock opamps? Or is it modified?

EDIT: ok saw the post by miguel. lol. so the stock is already so good.. hmm..

I thought stock sounded like a cross between a Pico and a P-51. Opamp rolled with OPA1611A class-A biased on a 2:1 is pretty much a P-51 clone.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #2,588 of 3,234
Quote:

That sounds very promising. Looks like i need to get it ASAP.

Anyway larry, what kind of batteries are you using now? Tysonic low discharge? Does it matters?

I'm just using whatever 9v batteries I have laying around for the D4, because I am only using this with my Macbook Pro at home for now. If it was my only portable, I'd have a pair of lithium rechargable 500 mah 9v cells and a charger (about $70 for 2 batt/1 charger) at Rechargeable Batteries Battery Chargers Rechargeable Lithium Digital Camera Batteries Maha Ansmann Energizer Sanyo ZTS

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #2,590 of 3,234
Quote:

Seems like those need to be imported.

How about the Maha Powerex ones? 300mAh.

EDIT: Larry, is this the one? iPOWER IP-FC904U 9 Volt - 9V NiMH/Lithium/NiCD Battery Charg..

So the type of battery for D4 doesn't matter much? Not to the extend of the SR71/SR71A case?

For this case, just need to find one with high capacity to last long?

Yeah, that's the charger that I would consider if this was my primary portable amp, and the battery is here: iPOWER 9 Volt 500mAh Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Batteries9...

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #2,591 of 3,234
I also found out that there is a 520mah version that is "Professional". Wondering if the extra 20mah is worth it or not. The other website that is selling the iPowerUS have stock for the professional model.

EDIT: The Professional version cost 3USD more
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #2,592 of 3,234
Quote:

I also found out that there is a 520mah version that is "Professional". Wondering if the extra 20mah is worth it or not. The other website that is selling the iPowerUS have stock for the professional model.

Haven't seen the other website. Link?

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #2,593 of 3,234
9V Lithium Ion / Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Batteries

It cost 3USD more. But the 500mah is cheaper over here. And the shipping to oversea seems to be cheaper here too.

EDIT: I saw this. The difference stated by the website.

Quote:

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. What is the difference between the consumer 9V-500 and the Pro 9V-520? A. The pro 520 contains the best grade/high spec raw materials, with special control electronics, yielding higher capacity and reliability. The 520 is enhanced to power digital systems with switching power supplies. The 520 will be able to handle current spikes,heavy supply filters,shorts and other high current and adverse load conditions, with a lower rate of failure and an average overall product capacity increase of 10%, day in, and day out.

So the extra 3USD is worth for that difference?

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #2,594 of 3,234
do have a pic of the d4 next to the iqube and or predator?

aaso imm very surprised the mustangg came in just under the iqube, isnt there significantly more power with the iqube?

i was all set to try the d4 against my predator, but qube may be far superior?

how close does the qube come to the lisa III power?

lisa smokes my predator. i wonder how close the mustang comes to lisa

and i was under4 the impression that the sr71a blackbird had far more power than the mustang?

as always thanks for the tier 1 reviews

3 cheers 4 u!

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #2,595 of 3,234
I do not have a pic of those amps together, no. I have personally continued to use the iQube as my main portable headphone amp, and it has always delivered world class sound. I do not think it would be "far superior" to the Predator, but I do think it's a little better, yes.

Also note I have never reviewed the SR71A Blackbird - just the earlier SR71. And also that power isn't what determines good sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back