Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #588 of 723
How much better would you rate this as an improvement over the zero dacs headphone output ? im using the Zero dac now with my Shure SRH-1840s which are known to be abit bass shy. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #589 of 723
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes...

I just received this wonderful amp, and what a lovely sound it produces. However, after 20 to 30 minutes that sound is accompanied by a rather loud buzz on the right channel. The buzz becomes slightly louder when the volume of the amp is turned all the way down, so it does not follow the volume of the music. When switched off, and after cooling a little bit the sound is back to normal and there is not a trace of the buzz. But after a while, it appears again. Any ideas what this is caused by?

I have checked the various connections, but they seem fine. I have the T 90 and the buzz appears at both gain setting 3 and 5...

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #590 of 723
  Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes...

I just received this wonderful amp, and what a lovely sound it produces. However, after 20 to 30 minutes that sound is accompanied by a rather loud buzz on the right channel. The buzz becomes slightly louder when the volume of the amp is turned all the way down, so it does not follow the volume of the music. When switched off, and after cooling a little bit the sound is back to normal and there is not a trace of the buzz. But after a while, it appears again. Any ideas what this is caused by?

I have checked the various connections, but they seem fine. I have the T 90 and the buzz appears at both gain setting 3 and 5...

Try changing the driver tubes (FRONT TUBES)around put left channel tube in right channel and vise versa if buzzing changes side when you change the tubes you have your problem. Also if that doesnt cure the buzzing sound make shure theres no telephones next to your amp that could cause interference also

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #591 of 723
Try changing the driver tubes (FRONT TUBES)around put left channel tube in right channel and vise versa if buzzing changes side when you change the tubes you have your problem. Also if that doesnt cure the buzzing sound make shure theres no telephones next to your amp that could cause interference also

Cured! Apparently I was just a bit too careful with the tubes, one of them needed a bit more force, so it was a loose connection after all :xf_eek:

Thanks for the help :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #592 of 723
Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. The problem persists. I tried swapping the tubes, but the problem remains in the right channel, so I guess it's not the tubes. When I switch the amp off, noise appears for a while in the right channel, but eventually fades. When the amp is switched on again, the buzz is gone...

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #593 of 723

Are the jumpers in the amp installed  where they should be whith the tubes you are using if not that ,maybe theres a problem with the amp. Did you get it from David Zhezhe. get in touch with him if that doesnt work he will tell you if you need to ship it back . Sorry thats all i can do my friend.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #594 of 723
Thanks very much your help, Mikelap, I will contact David. I have the standard tubes (GE5654 and 6H6PI) so I have only touched the gain setting, and figured the rest should be left to default. Just a follow up, since you wrote front tubes in capital letters, is it a no go to swap the power tubes to see if they are the cause of the problem?

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #595 of 723
  Thanks very much your help, Mikelap, I will contact David. I have the standard tubes (GE5654 and 6H6PI) so I have only touched the gain setting, and figured the rest should be left to default. Just a follow up, since you wrote front tubes in capital letters, is it a no go to swap the power tubes to see if they are the cause of the problem?

Yes swap the power tubes also and if problem persist i would check the jumpers anyway you didnt touch them but doesnt mean they dont make mistakes

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #596 of 723
I have a Little Dot MK III, as well as C-K3, Bijou, M3, RS Hornet, and modified MF XCAN v3. The Little Dot MK III is an excellent amp. Better bass than I expected. Highs have a slightly sweet character, typical of tubes. Really nice build quality too, given the price. Nice casework, attractive physically, and just the right size. Arrived from China in, like, six days! How cool is THAT?

I like the Little Dot MK III on my Sennheiser HD800's and also the Beyer DT880s.

FYI the Little Dot MK III appears to be a straightforward cathode follower design, that's how they do the OTL stuff. Nothing too exotic, just good design.

I really like this amp. If you're looking to try a tube amp, you can't beat it for the price.

Sorry for bumping into this old thread. have you compared little dot MK III with darkvoice 336 (SE?) or bottle head crack? Those are also highly recommended for HD800. I don't know which one to choose (no where to try), their price is pretty close too.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #597 of 723
  Sorry for bumping into this old thread. have you compared little dot MK III with darkvoice 336 (SE?) or bottle head crack? Those are also highly recommended for HD800. I don't know which one to choose (no where to try), their price is pretty close too.

Have not tried any darkvoice amps.  I have a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball update.  Here's my comparison of the two =>  http://lf.org/abtests/ns/hpamps/10.html

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #599 of 723
Received mine today.

And without sounding all to 'like-a-kid-in-a-candy-store'-like, Im very (!) impressed.
Last year I still had this big idea to go straight to the high-end with LCD3 and something like Pathos Aurium.
Of course this is in another league, but I probably wouldn't appreciate enough without the incremental steps I have now made.
I now impulse-bought a used pair of Sennheisers HD600 and this amp for use with my Minimax Dac Plus.
And I think this setup will satisfy me for a long time to come. Also received my Fiio X5, which I used for two days with the Senns, and while also very capable, no match for this setup. 
Also never thought the HD600 could sound this good.

And if the burn-in periode should improve on things, well hooray!

Little Dot MK lll +1

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #600 of 723
Yes, for the price, the Mk III is SPLENDID !!! And a bit of tube rolling will get you even more satisfied! The bass on my HD600 is so thumping and full bodied, i can now truly hear what all the fuss is about with regards to pairing high impedance cans with OTL amps : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back