Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #556 of 723
Or go to page 77 on the same thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide for all new tubes that are better sounding and cheaper to buy because theres no need to pay a lot for driver tubes or have macthed pairs for that matter .

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #557 of 723
Anybody here with HD800s with their LD MK III? I'm thinking of getting a better amp for the 800s but have tried a few more expensive amps, but kept going back to the LD. I'm looking for something better than the LD for the HD800 specifically and was wondering if anybody can share their experience? Currently I'm looking at the Decware CPS2+ or Taboo and the WA2/WA6SE.

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #558 of 723
Anybody here with HD800s with their LD MK III? I'm thinking of getting a better amp for the 800s but have tried a few more expensive amps, but kept going back to the LD. I'm looking for something better than the LD for the HD800 specifically and was wondering if anybody can share their experience? Currently I'm looking at the Decware CPS2+ or Taboo and the WA2/WA6SE.

I was thinking if the same thing let me know how you go? If you do buy a woo audio can you please do a comparison thanks

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #559 of 723
Quote:

I like the MKIII with T1's quite a lot, and I'm also wondering how much better the more expensive amps would be. I guess if you like the MKIII, it would be a safe bet to go for the MKIV SE, or even the MKVIII SE, which as it says on the website, was developed for high impedance Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #561 of 723
Quote:
If anyone could help me...currently looking to upgrade from the amp on my Essence STX and for 200$,found a MKIII and a MKV. Currently with DT990 600ohm,what would be my best bet?

I am currently using senns hd800 with the mk3 and at first was using the STX also but now i am running the mk3 using the Dac of my Burson Conductor and it sounds great .last night i decided to use the STX again and i found the sound  of the STX to lack detail and bass wasnt tight so a decent dac makes a difference .Its a fact that  Senns  likes tubes bring warmth to the sound. Regarding the mk5 its a solid state amp so expect maybe sound  to not be as warm as the littledot but i did not listen to the mk5. i am merely comparing the littledot to my Conductor your DT990 are a neutral headphone right if so a tube amp might help like it helped my Senns . By the way if you decide on the mk3 make sure its a VERSION 2.0 you can see this under the Littledot front towards you theres a peep hole upper right corner look in the hole with a flashlight and you will see LITTLEDOTMK3 V2.0 towards the side of the amp inside. the advantage of this is being able to use better power tubes like the 6h30Pi EH GOLD PIN TUBES among others .And also you can do some tube rolling with this amp tring to find better sounding tubes .If your interested in tube rolling theres a great thread for this .So hope this helped but theres nothing like earing before you buy. heres the link    

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #562 of 723
I've also got the stx and little dot mk3, I bought the little dot dac 1 last week and just got it today. Can't wait to finish work and try the external dac with the mk3 tubes. The stx is great for gaming but I wanted to try an external dac with the amp. This way I can use the stx for gaming with the senns pc360 and when I listen to music use the hd650 senns with the little dac equipment. Just hope I made the right decision in buying the little dot dac 1. There wasnt much info about it on the forums just thought I would take the chance. :) tonight will be the test I guess.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #563 of 723
Quote:
I am currently using senns hd800 with the mk3 and at first was using the STX also but now i am running the mk3 using the Dac of my Burson Conductor and it sounds great .last night i decided to use the STX again and i found the sound  of the STX to lack detail and bass wasnt tight so a decent dac makes a difference .Its a fact that  Senns  likes tubes bring warmth to the sound. Regarding the mk5 its a solid state amp so expect maybe sound  to not be as warm as the littledot but i did not listen to the mk5. i am merely comparing the littledot to my Conductor your DT990 are a neutral headphone right if so a tube amp might help like it helped my Senns . By the way if you decide on the mk3 make sure its a VERSION 2.0 you can see this under the Littledot front towards you theres a peep hole upper right corner look in the hole with a flashlight and you will see LITTLEDOTMK3 V2.0 towards the side of the amp inside. the advantage of this is being able to use better power tubes like the 6h30Pi EH GOLD PIN TUBES among others .And also you can do some tube rolling with this amp tring to find better sounding tubes .If your interested in tube rolling theres a great thread for this .So hope this helped but theres nothing like earing before you buy. heres the link    

i also found this for you might interest you a review of the mk3 with dt990   and regarding tube rolling theres plenty of good tubes to try as low as $1.50 each you can see this with the link i gave you and on page 77 you will see all the current tubes we are using  .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 If you've considered to try out tube amps then the LDMKIII could be either a good or not so good start for different reasons. If you're after considerable warmth and alteration of sound toward the darker side then the LDMKIII can supply you with that, but only to some extent - this amplifier is not all about warmth but also detail. If you're going from a transparent or clinical sounding amplifier then you'll definately hear the difference. It certainly makes the mids more smooth and the bass hit just slightly deeper. But rather than smoke and fire - I would define its warmth as cozy ember, it's not overly aggresive and alterating, but you feel its presence; and in a good way. However, it is not only nice in the midrange it extends and smoothes the treble a little bit. If you've decided to pair the DT990 with the LDMKIII then definately look into tube rolling (stock tubes rarely sound good in any case)

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #564 of 723
Quote:
I've also got the stx and little dot mk3, I bought the little dot dac 1 last week and just got it today. Can't wait to finish work and try the external dac with the mk3 tubes. The stx is great for gaming but I wanted to try an external dac with the amp. This way I can use the stx for gaming with the senns pc360 and when I listen to music use the hd650 senns with the little dac equipment. Just hope I made the right decision in buying the little dot dac 1. There wasnt much info about it on the forums just thought I would take the chance. :) tonight will be the test I guess.

Just checked spec of the dac 1 your dac chip is a wolfson thats good i think youll be surprised anyways let me know how it sounds .

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #565 of 723
Quote:

I have the newest revision PCB as I purchased mine recently. I do not use the stock driver tubes, and rolled the EF92 Mullard M8161 tubes. i also have a bifrost uber dac. i did have a xonar st but i sold it before i got my hd800 so i never tried that combo (used to use hd650 with the st). the xonar is a bit harsh imo (comparing hd650 on xonar vs LD mk iii), and bass impact is lacking a bit.

have you tried your hd800s on other amps, such as any woo audios or decwares?

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #567 of 723
Quote:
I have the newest revision PCB as I purchased mine recently. I do not use the stock driver tubes, and rolled the EF92 Mullard M8161 tubes. i also have a bifrost uber dac. i did have a xonar st but i sold it before i got my hd800 so i never tried that combo (used to use hd650 with the st). the xonar is a bit harsh imo (comparing hd650 on xonar vs LD mk iii), and bass impact is lacking a bit.

have you tried your hd800s on other amps, such as any woo audios or decwares?

Unfortunatly no dont have access to those amps over here but i here the WA2 and the decware are well regarded i get the same impressions as you from my stx after switching from the dac of my Conductor to the stx. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #568 of 723
Just checked spec of the dac 1 your dac chip is a wolfson thats good i think youll be surprised anyways let me know how it sounds .

I hope so :). It's matches size for size with the little dot mk3 so aesthetics are good so far. Once I get some time tonight to audition it i will let you know the outcome. David sent me the wrong power adaptor even though its 240volt the connection is European not Australian. Lucky I've got a spare 240volt power supply plug so I can start listening ASAP. Listening to the tubes even out of my iPhone sounds great so if it matches or exceeds this I will be tapping my feet with a big grin.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #569 of 723
Oh wow auditioned the little dot mk3 and little dot dac 1 last night and there is a noticeable improvement over the asus stx. Soundstage is bigger mids are more upfront and centre. Bass tends to have a little more kick to it. I will be honest I didn't believe that there would be such a noticeable improvement over the Stx but I was wrong. The whole external amp and dac versus soundcard I previously wrote on forums and the general consensus was I had to spend big to improve the Asus stx soundcard. It is however not the case the sound has more detail but now I'm left pondering if I spend a little more will I get even more improved sound. For the money I spent I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting out of the hd650. As I have just started my music journey I'm eager to experiment and try different equipment as well as enjoying the music experience on the way of course.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #570 of 723
Quote:
Oh wow auditioned the little dot mk3 and little dot dac 1 last night and there is a noticeable improvement over the asus stx. Soundstage is bigger mids are more upfront and centre. Bass tends to have a little more kick to it. I will be honest I didn't believe that there would be such a noticeable improvement over the Stx but I was wrong. The whole external amp and dac versus soundcard I previously wrote on forums and the general consensus was I had to spend big to improve the Asus stx soundcard. It is however not the case the sound has more detail but now I'm left pondering if I spend a little more will I get even more improved sound. For the money I spent I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting out of the hd650. As I have just started my music journey I'm eager to experiment and try different equipment as well as enjoying the music experience on the way of course.

Thats what i figured it would improve on the stx good for you now time to enjoy it Like we say here welcome to Headfi sorry about your wallet  .                                                                                                                 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back