Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
May 22, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #601 of 723
I just got mine. Like Gurdipurdi, I'm also trying to avoid sounding like a "kid-in-a-candy-store" but I have to say that I am impressed!

I had the opportunity to pick up some cheap AKG K702s the other day and I jumped at the chance because I was worried that my Sennheiser Momentums would be too low impedance. I tried them out with a few sources (DAPs and Laptop) and I did NOT like them. But at the price I got them, I decided to give them a couple of days to see if (brain) burn-in would help. But then the Little Dot arrived. Plugged in the AKGs and...my word, what a sound! I've no idea if the Momentums will work okay or not - I couldn't stop listening with the AKGs long enough to try the Senns out.

My long-term plan was to get some HD600s, but I think it's going to be a lot longer before I'm willing to give up the AKGs than I originally thought!

Also, 5 stars for the service provided by David. Patiently answered my queries about any possible problems with the Momentums' impedance and shipped it in record time.

May 29, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #602 of 723
My HD800s with the MK 3 sounds fabulous! And there's a myriad of tubes which you can roll into the LD to tune the sound sig to your liking. A very, very versatile and superb bang for the buck OTL amp for both low to high end high-impedance cans, IMO : )

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #603 of 723
Quick question to anyone with a Little Dot III. If you had your money again would you still buy the III or, based on what you now know, would you opt for the IV or IV SE?

I've looked at these over the years and love the look of the III but always think I should go for the IV or the SE as they're newer (although I don like the look as much - something odd about the gold rings -)..

Any thoughts?

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #604 of 723
I've experienced significant sound signature changes with tube rolling, so i guess it mainly depends on the tubes you are rolling. Some of the best(C3G and 6N23P) are pricey for adapters and socket savers and the tubes themselves. Never heard the better LD's. Maybe someone here had them? On the LD forum David wrote the MKIII would be best bang for buck, so you'll be getting only slight improvements up the ladder AFAIA.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #606 of 723
  Hi! Do you know if it is possible to connect it to an amplif/receiver as a preamplifier?

Not if its a DCcoupled amp your connecting it to, amps like the 1970's pioneer 

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #607 of 723
The MKIII is $225 shipped on Massdrop right now.

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #609 of 723
A quick question from a new Mk3 owner: is the amp supposed to operate dead-silent? I am not talking about the signal through the headphone but the amp itself. I hear a continuous hum (probably around 50Hz) which is oscillating a bit as soon as a Mac is running on the same outlet. I tried various outlets in the house but always hear the same sound (louder at the bottom of the device). I am waiting for a Furman power conditioner but in the meantime I was feeling curious if the hum is normal or not.

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #611 of 723
I touched it but didn't notice a difference. But your suggestions is interesting. I found a discussion where the position of the transformer within the casing was the reason (not centered). Well, the other explanation was that a 220V trafo was used, which would hum in a 230V environment (Europe).

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #612 of 723
OK, my Furman AC-210 arrived but the hum is still the same - except the oscillation caused by the computer - this is gone now.

Before thinking about the next steps could you please share your experience? With your headphones taken off and your ear close to the amp, do you notice any hum coming from your MK3 when it is operating? If a small amount of hum is normal then I would forget about it and just enjoy listening to this fantastic little amp.

Btw, the Furman seems to improve sound quality quite a bit - better clarity and tighter bass. I notice details which I have not heard before. I am glad the MK3's hum made me buy the Furman :wink:

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #613 of 723
OK, my Furman AC-210 arrived but the hum is still the same - except the oscillation caused by the computer - this is gone now.

Before thinking about the next steps could you please share your experience? With your headphones taken off and your ear close to the amp, do you notice any hum coming from your MK3 when it is operating? If a small amount of hum is normal then I would forget about it and just enjoy listening to this fantastic little amp.

Btw, the Furman seems to improve sound quality quite a bit - better clarity and tighter bass. I notice details which I have not heard before. I am glad the MK3's hum made me buy the Furman :wink:

I never heard a hum from my MK3 maybe you should contact your seller if your shure its not due to tubes or wireless phones or computer .

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #614 of 723
I don't hear a hum neither. You might try and put some thin felt between the casing and the amp with power chord detached of course:wink:

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #615 of 723
Thanks for your replies! I guess I am a bit closer to the solution. Probably the issue here is a DC offset. I could force the LD to hum louder by running a hairdryer at half power. I am now getting the parts for a DC filter. I hope this will remove all hum. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back