Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #631 of 723

i use my denons D-5OOO which are 25 ohm with my MK3 and it sounded good to me altough  i mostly use my 300 ohm Senns with it .No risk of damage but not the ultimate amp for low impedance HP

Thanks for the answer!

As I try to explore tube amps sound - what would be a good intro into those (given I don't want to buy new headphones at the moment)?

I use Oppo HA-2 today.

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #632 of 723

i use my denons D-5OOO which are 25 ohm with my MK3 and it sounded good to me altough  i mostly use my 300 ohm Senns with it .No risk of damage but not the ultimate amp for low impedance HP

Thanks for the answer!

As I try to explore tube amps sound - what would be a good intro into those (given I don't want to buy new headphones at the moment)?

I use Oppo HA-2 today.

As drivers (front tubes) the Yugoslav tall bottle Ei 6HM5 are well liked on the LITTLEDOT TUBE ROLLING GUIDE THREAD you can get them on Ebay  make an offer of $5.00 and you should get them  also here's link to Littledot thread i recommend you start reading from the end of the thread because the best tubes we found to date youll find there       http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/9840#post_11891568                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Here's link to 6HM5 tubes on Ebay . Have fun                                                                                                                                                                                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/300879467071?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT                                                                                                              

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #633 of 723

As drivers (front tubes) the Yugoslav tall bottle Ei 6HM5 are well liked on the LITTLEDOT TUBE ROLLING GUIDE THREAD you can get them on Ebay  make an offer of $5.00 and you should get them  also here's link to Littledot thread i recommend you start reading from the end of the thread because the best tubes we found to date youll find there       http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/9840#post_11891568                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Here's link to 6HM5 tubes on Ebay . Have fun                                                                                                                                                                                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/300879467071?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT                                                                                                              

Thanks! Really appreciate your advice.

May 23, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #634 of 723
G'day,

I have little dot mkiii for quite a while now to drive my HD580. Some people said that they use gain 10, others 5 or 3 for hd580 or hd600. All that is a bit confusing as regarding to manual gain 10 is for Low impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones and gain 3 is for High impedance and/or high sensitivity headphones.
HD 580 are high impedance and I guess medium sensitivity  headphones so gain 3 or 4 should be best for them. When I try gain 10 it feels like it have more powerful bass but a lot smaller soundstage. with less gain is the other way around, however maybe you need to match the volume to be able to assess the bass slam properly.

Do you have similar experience with soundstage and bottom end when changing gain from 3 to 10 when using hd580 or hd600?

I ordered LCD-X and am waiting for their arrival. MKIII being OTL tube amp is not a good match for them. LCD-X are low impedance (20ohm) and probably medium sensitivity at 103dB.

What gain settings should I use? 10 as for Low impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones?

Will using such a low impedance phones (minimum recommended is 32ohm) damage or cause premature wear on tubes? I plan to buy new headphone amp anyway for LCD-X, thinking of Audio GD NFB-1AMP. This amp should have enough current to drive LCD-X.

Cheers

Kristof

May 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #635 of 723
  G'day,

I have little dot mkiii for quite a while now to drive my HD580. Some people said that they use gain 10, others 5 or 3 for hd580 or hd600. All that is a bit confusing as regarding to manual gain 10 is for Low impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones and gain 3 is for High impedance and/or high sensitivity headphones.
HD 580 are high impedance and I guess medium sensitivity  headphones so gain 3 or 4 should be best for them. When I try gain 10 it feels like it have more powerful bass but a lot smaller soundstage. with less gain is the other way around, however maybe you need to match the volume to be able to assess the bass slam properly.

Do you have similar experience with soundstage and bottom end when changing gain from 3 to 10 when using hd580 or hd600?

I ordered LCD-X and am waiting for their arrival. MKIII being OTL tube amp is not a good match for them. LCD-X are low impedance (20ohm) and probably medium sensitivity at 103dB.

What gain settings should I use? 10 as for Low impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones?

Will using such a low impedance phones (minimum recommended is 32ohm) damage or cause premature wear on tubes? I plan to buy new headphone amp anyway for LCD-X, thinking of Audio GD NFB-1AMP. This amp should have enough current to drive LCD-X.

Cheers

Kristof

i used 25 ohm Denons with my MK3 it wasnt the greatest but wasnt that bad,its a well know fact that high Ohm HP are a better match for the MK3 .As for the gain settings there's no right or wrong way just use the setting that you like best 

May 24, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #636 of 723
  i used 25 ohm Denons with my MK3 it wasnt the greatest but wasnt that bad,its a well know fact that high Ohm HP are a better match for the MK3 .As for the gain settings there's no right or wrong way just use the setting that you like

thanks for the reply, that's good that it won't damage the amp nor phones. I guess I'll play with the gain settings once I receive the new phones

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #637 of 723
I just got my MK3 from massdrop a few days ago and the taller tubes are set at an angle. Is this going to be a big problem besides it looking a bit wonky?

source is Laptop>e10k>line out to mk3>HD650s

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #638 of 723
I would try to put the tubes in straight. They might have been moved during travel?

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #639 of 723
  I just got my MK3 from massdrop a few days ago and the taller tubes are set at an angle. Is this going to be a big problem besides it looking a bit wonky?

source is Laptop>e10k>line out to mk3>HD650s

Are you saying the power tubes (back tubes ) were shipped in the amp? just straighten them out 

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #640 of 723
Does anyone have experience using a Chord Mojo as a dac with the Little Dot Mk3? My main headphone system is driven by a Chord DAVE but I have no experience of tube headphone amps (or any tube amp) and thought the LD would be a good introduction to tube sound and provide as a side project an opportunity to learn something about tube rolling. I was thinking of using my iMac as source and the Mojo as the dac. Does that sound workable/sensible? Thanks

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #641 of 723
Does anyone have experience using a Chord Mojo as a dac with the Little Dot Mk3? My main headphone system is driven by a Chord DAVE but I have no experience of tube headphone amps (or any tube amp) and thought the LD would be a good introduction to tube sound and provide as a side project an opportunity to learn something about tube rolling. I was thinking of using my iMac as source and the Mojo as the dac. Does that sound workable/sensible? Thanks

It should work just fine as long as Mojo can serve just as DAC. I use Oppo HA-2 as DAC for LD MK3 and MacBook Pro as a source.

Funny thing - I am looking the other way and considering going for DAVE :)

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #642 of 723
It should work just fine as long as Mojo can serve just as DAC. I use Oppo HA-2 as DAC for LD MK3 and MacBook Pro as a source.

Funny thing - I am looking the other way and considering going for DAVE :)

Thanks.

The DAVE is astonishing. If your bank account can stand the pain of buying it, the next upgrade for you should be the far cheaper AudioQuest Jitterbug to plug into your MBP (no real benefit when running MBP off the battery, but noticable improvement when running off mains).

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #643 of 723
Little-Dot MKIII currently on MassDrop for $219.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/28682

2 Days left - as of 11/22/2016

I just put my order in. Excited to try this out and for almost $100 off - a good deal.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #644 of 723
Hi guys,
I have had my LD3 for a few months now and want to get into rolling but i have a few questions before i begin..
My LD came with jumpers already in, if i flip the LD over, the jumpers are on the left hand side but i also got 2 jumpers in a bag with it, it was bought new from the ebay guy in the UK.
My manual says that default is no jumper, so i am a little confused here, is default the left hand side position or should there have been NO jumper installed???

My last question for now is, can i do damage by trying different jumper settings, would it make any difference, i know about the different families of tubes after reading the great thread on tubes but i just wanted to know more...

I would like to thank all you reviewers and advise givers on Head-Fi for my awesome new hobby, you have encouraged me to get the LD and a pair of T90's, my music has now come alive in ways i never dreamed of.

Ohh, i also game a lot and my LD would get very hot after a few hours so i bought a mini USB fan in the hope to keep her cool and it works very well if not too well so i only keep it on for awhile and then knock it off but it works.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #645 of 723
Just received my copy of LittleDot MkIII.

Massive kudos to David@LittleDot for excellent communication skills and acting on my small request, where I asked him to have a blue LED replaced with a Green one.

Looks a LOT better, IMO and far less distracting. After spending less than 30 minutes, listening to my new acquisition, a Japan-press Record by Jean-Michel Jarre, called "Magnetic Fields, I am more than impressed!

Hey, I even made a cheesy little slide show of me, getting it out of the box and powering it on! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back