Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Apr 26, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #616 of 723
  Thanks for your replies! I guess I am a bit closer to the solution. Probably the issue here is a DC offset. I could force the LD to hum louder by running a hairdryer at half power. I am now getting the parts for a DC filter. I hope this will remove all hum. 

I would try the SEARCH THIS THREAD function at the top of the page  and  the other littledot threads related to GROUND LOOP problems maybe youll find an answer

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #617 of 723
Thanks Mike. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought ground loops are causing hum in the audio signal. The sound through the headphones via my mk III is free of any hum. I also isolated the ground contact - no change. From what I've read up to now, toroidal transformers start humming as soon as there is a DC offset. Before sending the LD back to be checked, I first want to make sure it's not due to the power signal getting into the amp.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #618 of 723
Thanks Mike. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought ground loops are causing hum in the audio signal. The sound through the headphones via my mk III is free of any hum. I also isolated the ground contact - no change. From what I've read up to now, toroidal transformers start humming as soon as there is a DC offset. Before sending the LD back to be checked, I first want to make sure it's not due to the power signal getting into the amp.

To be honest i dont know much about this i just remembered seeing something once about  gound loop causing hum search the threads or try the LITTLEDOT TUBE ROLLING GUIDE maybe someone could help you there if you dont find anything with the search function .

May 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #619 of 723
Update: The hum is gone... well, about 95%. The solution is an autotransformer which reduces the local 230-240VAC to about 210-220V. Before the fix the hum was kind of buzzing noise - now it is much(!) quieter and rather fizzling. I am still waiting for a DC offset filter, which might take care of the rest. At least LD is honest and says the Mk3 is supposed to run either with 120V or 220V.

May 17, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #620 of 723
Hi Guys,

I have read all the three reviews about little dot mk II, III, IV. From reviews it looks like all are very good amps. My question is, what is the best amp for the price, and that could be tuned well after tube rolling in future for a beginner like myself. Their specs are almost the same either. What else is comparable to little dot? I have seen tons of Chinese amps on ebay that I don't trust since they don't have any review.

Kindly suggest before I can make an order. Which one would serve me for an year or two?

Thanks!!

May 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #621 of 723
Hi Guys,

I have read all the three reviews about little dot mk II, III, IV. From reviews it looks like all are very good amps. My question is, what is the best amp for the price, and that could be tuned well after tube rolling in future for a beginner like myself. Their specs are almost the same either. What else is comparable to little dot? I have seen tons of Chinese amps on ebay that I don't trust since they don't have any review.

Kindly suggest before I can make an order. Which one would serve me for an year or two?

Thanks!!

If you're thinking of a mkIV and then some NOS tubes, consider an Elise:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732875/feliks-audio-6sn7-6as7g-6080-prototype

Most Elise owners came from the Little Dot world; I own a mkIII shod with 6HM5 drivers and 6SN7 output tubes. Some of the other guys have more elaborate Little Dot setups. The Elise performs on an entirely different level. Good luck.

May 18, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #622 of 723
If you're thinking of a mkIV and then some NOS tubes, consider an Elise:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732875/feliks-audio-6sn7-6as7g-6080-prototype

Most Elise owners came from the Little Dot world; I own a mkIII shod with 6HM5 drivers and 6SN7 output tubes. Some of the other guys have more elaborate Little Dot setups. The Elise performs on an entirely different level. Good luck.

Thanks a lot Shaffer, this is what I was expecting. There always is/must be something better out there when you talk about SQ. I am going through the product, sent email to Lukasz for a price quote including shipment to my place, let's see if I could afford it without drilling a hole into my wallet.

I just want to know what tubes would you suggest me to buy with these two amp brands (LDMK/Feliks-Elise) that are exceptionally well performers in terms of SQ, are easily available and don't cost much? I am thinking to buy as a whole package, as it costs a lot of money to ship to my place in middle east. Now I have a tough decision to make in between LDMK III, IV and Feliks-Elise.

Lastly, is it a good idea to just buy an amp and not build one for your own-self? Initially, I am more leaned towards building my own by stealing ideas from good companies, schematics are available, parts are available, you just need to sit together and fabricate. I would love it, my own little creation.  

Really appreciate any input from respected members.

May 19, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #623 of 723
Hi, my brother is going to buy one of these for me during his business trip to Hong Kong.

I heard there are a few counterfeit versions of these in the market. Do any of you perhaps know how to identify a genuine or counterfeit version? I really don't want my brother to bring back a fake version all the way to South Africa :frowning2:

May 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #624 of 723
Thanks a lot Shaffer, this is what I was expecting. There always is/must be something better out there when you talk about SQ. I am going through the product, sent email to Lukasz for a price quote including shipment to my place, let's see if I could afford it without drilling a hole into my wallet.

I just want to know what tubes would you suggest me to buy with these two amp brands (LDMK/Feliks-Elise) that are exceptionally well performers in terms of SQ, are easily available and don't cost much? I am thinking to buy as a whole package, as it costs a lot of money to ship to my place in middle east. Now I have a tough decision to make in between LDMK III, IV and Feliks-Elise.

My apologies for the belated reply. Just saw the post.

Tube-wise, many prefer the stock tubes in the LDIVSE - Mullard and EH. Personally, I like Yugoslavian 6HM5 (~$5 each on ebay) and 6H6Pi as an easy play-and-play option, or 6SN7 output tubes with adapters. There are a lot of choices there.

As the Elise is so new, we've just started playing with different tubes not too long ago. The stock tubes are decent, especially the output tubes. Chathams 6AS7Gs are better at ~$45-$50/pair. RCA metal base 6080 with red print (early-60s vintage) are also quite good, but a step below the Chathams. Driver tubes, NOS CBS tubes are very reasonable and sound very good in the amp, as do Baldwin-labeled Ratheons. If you want ultimate clarity and don't mind using adapters, 7N7s are great, just be ready for a long burnin.

Lastly, is it a good idea to just buy an amp and not build one for your own-self? Initially, I am more leaned towards building my own by stealing ideas from good companies, schematics are available, parts are available, you just need to sit together and fabricate. I would love it, my own little creation

If you can, why not? OTLs aren't that complicated, you could stuff the chassis with your favorite parts. Not a bad thing.  

May 20, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #625 of 723
My apologies for the belated reply. Just saw the post.

Tube-wise, many prefer the stock tubes in the LDIVSE - Mullard and EH. Personally, I like Yugoslavian 6HM5 (~$5 each on ebay) and 6H6Pi as an easy play-and-play option, or 6SN7 output tubes with adapters. There are a lot of choices there.

As the Elise is so new, we've just started playing with different tubes not too long ago. The stock tubes are decent, especially the output tubes. Chathams 6AS7Gs are better at ~$45-$50/pair. RCA metal base 6080 with red print (early-60s vintage) are also quite good, but a step below the Chathams. Driver tubes, NOS CBS tubes are very reasonable and sound very good in the amp, as do Baldwin-labeled Ratheons. If you want ultimate clarity and don't mind using adapters, 7N7s are great, just be ready for a long burnin.
If you can, why not? OTLs aren't that complicated, you could stuff the chassis with your favorite parts. Not a bad thing.  

Brother,

I have noted your great suggestions. Thank you! MKIV SE is available with these tubes on eBay as a package 6H30P M8100/CV4010 for 450$ ish. 

I got an offer from Feliks, I can add Tungsol matched pair for 69$ and still get the stock tubes. I asked them to drop the stock tubes for 50$ and add the Tungsol, it will be 518$ total. How do you rate this offer? Would this be enough for a beginner? Or will I have to start tube rolling and emptying my pocket right away? :D LOL

For now I have dropped the idea of DIY. Looks like nothing is available in the kit for as good as LDMKIV SE or Feliks-Elise.

May 20, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #626 of 723
Brother,

I have noted your great suggestions. Thank you! MKIV SE is available with these tubes on eBay as a package [COLOR=333333]6H30P M8100/CV4010 [/COLOR]for 450$ ish. 

I got an offer from Feliks, I can add Tungsol matched pair for 69$ and still get the stock tubes. I asked them to drop the stock tubes for 50$ and add the Tungsol, it will be 518$ total. How do you rate this offer? Would this be enough for a beginner? Or will I have to start tube rolling and emptying my pocket right away? :D LOL

For now I have dropped the idea of DIY. Looks like nothing is available in the kit for as good as LDMKIV SE or Feliks-Elise.

$518 would be a killer deal. If this is between a MKIVSE and an Elise, I don't see a contest.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #629 of 723
Question to the experts: is it okay to use MKIII with low impedance headphones?

I currently use Oppo PM-3 which are listed at 26Ohm.

Are there any risks of damage? Any immediate conclusions in case combo will certainly produce bad audio results?

Thanks!

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #630 of 723
  Question to the experts: is it okay to use MKIII with low impedance headphones?

I currently use Oppo PM-3 which are listed at 26Ohm.

Are there any risks of damage? Any immediate conclusions in case combo will certainly produce bad audio results?

Thanks!

i use my denons D-5OOO which are 25 ohm with my MK3 and it sounded good to me altough  i mostly use my 300 ohm Senns with it .No risk of damage but not the ultimate amp for low impedance HP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back