Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 30, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #226 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I talked to David, and he confirmed what I thought...

"Your Little Dot is actually one of the first of a new build that replaces the previous jumpers with switches for tube rolling. Some customers were reporting some difficulty with getting the jumpers in place due to how small they were so now we have switched to DIP switches instead. To use your Mullards, just move the switches to E92 position. I hope this clears things up!"

So there are now two SWITCHES instead of jumpers, with a setting for E92 and stock! Not that I have experience with the jumpers,but this seems like it would be much easier to manage - especially if you get addicted to tube-rolling, which I think I might!

Hope this helps someone!

ScottieB

eek.gif
I'll be dam_ed!
eek.gif

That was a suggestion I made to them in March this year! What a bunch of great people. To think they would implement a change like this so quickly, just to make it easier on the new users, really says something about their customer service. Truly top notch!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #228 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you could put a whisper in their ear about making the gain switches easier to access.
biggrin.gif

Maybe a little work light inside the case!
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #231 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I talked to David, and he confirmed what I thought...

"Your Little Dot is actually one of the first of a new build that replaces the previous jumpers with switches for tube rolling. Some customers were reporting some difficulty with getting the jumpers in place due to how small they were so now we have switched to DIP switches instead. To use your Mullards, just move the switches to E92 position. I hope this clears things up!"

So there are now two SWITCHES instead of jumpers, with a setting for E92 and stock! Not that I have experience with the jumpers,but this seems like it would be much easier to manage - especially if you get addicted to tube-rolling, which I think I might!

Hope this helps someone!

ScottieB

This is a very nice improved feature indeed. Though my current MKIII will lose some value
frown.gif
but since I do not plan to sell it
biggrin.gif

Listening to customers and improving based on their real needs is definitely contributing to customer satisfaction. This is rare enough to be mentionned.
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #232 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirickle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just ordered mine as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope they add something to my 595s...

Received my Little Dot MKIII yesterday. First impression when unpacking was that it really looks nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Hooked it up to my pc (Juli@ - crappy RCA cable - LDIII - HD595) but the left channel is silent, save for some loud pops and some static. Swapped out the source and cable, still the same. Tried the 595 directly on my iPod to eliminate the phones as the source of the problem, phones work fine.

I will be contacting David in a minute, anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #233 of 723
Just contacted David, I hope he has some advice on how to fix it without the need to replace the entire unit, I just want to listen to it now
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Hello David,

I picked up my LD at the local DHL office yesterday. I must say it is
really a nice looking unit. However, the left channel does not work. It is
silent, except for some static now and then and some pretty loud pops.

I tried different music sources, cables and hooked up my headphone to a
different source directly, where both channels work fine. So it really
seems to be a problem with the LD.

I tried some different gain settings, this has no effect on the problem.

Is there anything else I can try, or does the unit need to be
replaced/repaired?

Kind regards,
Rick

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #235 of 723
I wanted to try that, but couldn't get the tubes out. Could you tell me how this is done? I didn't want to yank them out by force, as there must be a more subtle way
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #237 of 723
Thanks, that was pretty easy.

Doesn't solve the problem, though
frown.gif

It does however move the static I previously heard on the left channel to the right channel, so the tubes don't seem to be OK either...

[update]
I narrowed the static/pops down to the smaller of the two tubes (don't know which is which, I'm new to this tube stuff). Sometimes I also hear a sound kind of like a bell ringing softly. Anyway, I swapped the smaller tubes L/R and now the right channel is completely clear, and the left channel is silent except some static.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #238 of 723
Quote:

Thanks, that was pretty easy.

Doesn't solve the problem, though
frown.gif

It does however move the static I previously heard on the left channel to the right channel, so the tubes don't seem to be OK either...

[update]
I narrowed the static/pops down to the smaller of the two tubes (don't know which is which, I'm new to this tube stuff). Sometimes I also hear a sound kind of like a bell ringing softly. Anyway, I swapped the smaller tubes L/R and now the right channel is completely clear, and the left channel is silent except some static.

Are these stock tubes or did you get the tubes on ebay? I used to get bad untested and unmatched tubes on ebay from shady dealers and they do this (static and pop) a lot.
mad.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #239 of 723
Stock tubes.

Got a reply from David, I can send the unit back with reimbursement of return shipping and can opt for either repair/replacement or a full refund. Customer service is top-notch.

I'm doubting whether or not to get a refund, I'm afraid that the next unit might also get damaged in transit, and every time a package passes Dutch customs into the Netherlands they slap on a $50 import fee/VAT, so the costs will run up rather quickly. Doing that will however still leave me with no headphone amp
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #240 of 723
Quote:

Stock tubes.

Got a reply from David, I can send the unit back with reimbursement of return shipping and can opt for either repair/replacement or a full refund. Customer service is top-notch.

I'm doubting whether or not to get a refund, I'm afraid that the next unit might also get damaged in transit, and every time a package passes Dutch customs into the Netherlands they slap on a $50 import fee/VAT, so the costs will run up rather quickly. Doing that will however still leave me with no headphone amp
frown.gif

Take a look at the pins on the small tubes first. Are they discolored and corroded? I bet they need cleaning. Deoxit or any other tuner/electronics cleaner and an old tooth brush, will make them like new again.

If the smaller tubes are nasty, the larger tubes may be as well, so I'd clean them also. You may find that this cleaning fixes all of the problems you are having.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back