Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 26, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #271 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok but ef92 or 95 families are driver tubes ...what about the power ones ?what i've understand is that the kind of power valves you can fit is not affected by the jumper setting

The power tubes (large in back) are unaffected by the jumper settings.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #272 of 659
so the russian 6n6p should be supported by the MkII ?

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #273 of 659
i just recieved 4 russian power tubes for $10..yes
any other recomendations for driver tubes?
i have a set of mullard cv4015 and a set of voshvod ef95.

i would like to try more

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #274 of 659
Quote:

so the russian 6n6p should be supported by the MkII ?

Ow yes, and they represent a substantial sound improvement on the lower end and the sound stage as a whole. The bass will extend lower and get a little tighter, which is a nice improvement. Some have said the sound stage takes on a more "realistic" properties, and I agree with them on this.

Just don't forget that most NOS tubes, drivers and powers, will need at least 45 hours of maturing, before they are totally stable. The end result is almost always way better than the start.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #275 of 659
Good to know...i purchased a pair of tham, probably are used not nos...they're already burned-in
biggrin.gif
I've also ordered 4 6j1p as driver tubes to try...which should sound good...i'll compare them to the mullard Ef95s...as soon as i get the damn amp i'm waiting for, of course...

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #276 of 659
Quote:

Good to know...i purchased a pair of tham, probably are used not nos...they're already burned-in
biggrin.gif
I've also ordered 4 6j1p as driver tubes to try...which should sound good...i'll compare them to the mullard Ef95s...as soon as i get the damn amp i'm waiting for, of course...

i had most of my tubes before the amp arrived,never hurts to be prepared

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #277 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by alan_g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just recieved 4 russian power tubes for $10..yes
any other recomendations for driver tubes?
i have a set of mullard cv4015 and a set of voshvod ef95.

i would like to try more

Check out the Mullard M8100.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #278 of 659
When I had my MKII, I quite liked the Mullard M8161 / CV40152 with the stock power tubes. I understand, though, that the power tube may make a 15% change in the sound signature of the amp, so consider changing these out if you really get into tube rolling.

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #279 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had my MKII, I quite liked the Mullard M8161 / CV40152 with the stock power tubes. I understand, though, that the power tube may make a 15% change in the sound signature of the amp, so consider changing these out if you really get into tube rolling.

It's also a good idea to keep a pair of power tubes handy since they do tend to fail after a year or two of regular use.

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #280 of 659
I got my MkII this morning...first impressions with stock tubes, just a couple of thoughts...

Ms1 : virtually no improvement over the output of my audiotrak prodigy, which is already strong enough for low impedance phones, with the ld2 lacks some bass impact, probably due to it being new...

Dt-990 : here it comes, sensible improvement over the prodigy even with the unit stock and not burned in, alot more control in the bass region, less boomy, more impactful bass...HUGE improvement over my crappy stereo receiver in my vinyl rig...i realized that much of the hiss i heared was due to that damn thing not the vinyls...it's a compact stereo with broken cassette reader, hissing on the headphone out, radio not working anymore....i'm going to get rid of it
biggrin.gif

Build quality is awesome, considering its cost....overall i'm absolutely satisfied even at a first listen...i wonder how good it sounds with better and burned in tubes....

After a small lsitening session this afternood i found that the dt-990 , which i didn't like at the beginning when powered from my prodigy, turned out to be very good, better than the Ms1s for some kind of music, classical and synphonic/progressive rock, far more detailed than the ms1...but...still they lack something, especially when music gets faster and louder...that kind of magic grado sound, vocals still sound thin on the 990...it is not their fault...i simply love the grado sound for heavy music....i really have to buy a pair of 325...hoping to have the detail of the 990 combined with the grado sound
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #281 of 659
The bass will start getting a lot better in a few hours, Meliboeus. Deeper, tighter, and punchier.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #282 of 659
I am the proud owner of a ld mk2 thanks to this excellent review and have even got into tube roiling.

Already changed the back tubes for the recommended russ tubes
still looking for a killer set of front tubes

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #284 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am the proud owner of a ld mk2 thanks to this excellent review and have even got into tube roiling.

Already changed the back tubes for the recommended russ tubes
still looking for a killer set of front tubes

I liked how the EF92 6CQ6 driver tubes sound in the MKII. Even though you have to put the jumpers on for EF92 mode, it is worth it. They have that famous "Mullard" sound, which works well for most types of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back