Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Jul 27, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #1,171 of 1,252
Mine just arrived :) Maybe one of the last sold... after the release of NFB-5 I predict most consumers will want it :)
Just out of the box with Shure SRH-840: It sounds a bit thinner than my modded Corda Prehead 1, Overall good sound quality, a slight peak in highs makes music to sound a bit metallic. A drop in mid/lower bass. But these are comparisons. Maybe my hearing is accustomed to the Corda. Anyway, I hope it'll get better after some burn-in. I don't want to be critical, these are just preliminary impressions! Overall I'm pleased!
cool.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,172 of 1,252

Quote:
Mine just arrived :) Maybe one of the last sold... after the release of NFB-5 I predict most consumers will want it :)
Just out of the box with Shure SRH-840: It sounds a bit thinner than my modded Corda Prehead 1, Overall good sound quality, a slight peak in highs makes music to sound a bit metallic. A drop in mid/lower bass. But these are comparisons. Maybe my hearing is accustomed to the Corda. Anyway, I hope it'll get better after some burn-in. I don't want to be critical, these are just preliminary impressions! Overall I'm pleased!
cool.gif

Once you hit the 350-400 hour range you'll be hearing the unit as it will sound 24/7 from that point onward. It takes a while for the unit to settle (much to the chagrin of those that don't believe in such things). At any rate a decent power cord does make a nice difference with A-gd gear FWIW. No need to spend big bucks, just solid good quality mains cable will suffice (DIY or not). I use a number of different types (some DIY some not) with the bottom line being...a mains cord upgrade does help with fidelity.

Peete.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,173 of 1,252
I don't want ultimate SQ from the FUN. I don't even intend to use it with my Furman AC filter.
It has about 12hrs burn-in and the highs already settled down. But what still misses me most is the low bass.  I hope there'll be a change in this aspect.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,174 of 1,252
Simple question: should I expect more low bas with the Earth OPA??
I have it in a box :)
2nd simple question: Do you feel a change in FR with the gain switched on or it just increases the level?

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,175 of 1,252
I had the NFB-11 in house for about two weeks--and I'm going to have to peg it slightly inferior to the FUN.  It's able to resolve just as much detail (or possibly more) than the FUN but it falls short in other categories.  While I've listened to the NFB-12 before, it's hard to make any conclusive judgements as my time with it was brief.  

But based on my experience with the NFB-11 I would suspect (and take this with a grain of salt) that the NFB-11/12 is not on the same level as the FUN.  It may be in terms of details, but detail resolution isn't all there is to sound.  The FUN is the whole package in comparison.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #1,176 of 1,252

Quote:
Simple question: should I expect more low bas with the Earth OPA??
I have it in a box :)
2nd simple question: Do you feel a change in FR with the gain switched on or it just increases the level?

I only used the standard OPA for a couple of days, but compared to the "out of the box" Earth, it did get a little better in deep bass with the Earth. Really slightly, that is.
But my HP's are bass light in first place (AKG 702), so i don't know how much would be improved on another, more bass heavy one. Maybe there is a more significant change.
Where I did feel a more noticeable diference was in bass impact and control.

For second question, yes, I do feel a diference (for better) when using the hi gain.

Having my FUN for a couple of weeks now, I'm very satisfied with it. 
I have also a hybrid little amp that is more mellow/warm in the midrange (great for classical guitar and other acoustic stuff), so the clean, more natural sound of the FUN gives me a different option to suit all my music nicely.

Im usind the Earth OPA for now. Have given the Moon a shot for some days, but found it a little fatiguing.
Will be back to moon now that the fun has some good hours in it to see if there is any change.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #1,179 of 1,252
Quote:
The first real impressions of the smaller Audio-GD units against the Fun. Good work sphinx.

What's your rig at the moment?

Well I sold off the NFB-11 and HD600s this week--next on my plate will be one of the thousand dollar planars when the time comes.  From all I've read it will be the HE-6 but I will need to have a nice, long audition before I'm fully convinced.  

I've just bought some BA IEMs to keep me busy in the meantime. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #1,180 of 1,252
What do people think of the FUN as a dedicated DAC compared to the STX DAC? I think olor1n said it was quite flat/boring sounding lol.

I've got a Lyr on the way and will probably use it with the FUN unless the STX would be better.

As for the FUN with the LCD-2, it does an alright job I guess, but it doesn't blow me away. I'm hoping the Lyr will be a big improvement over the FUN.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #1,181 of 1,252

Quote:
What do people think of the FUN as a dedicated DAC compared to the STX DAC? I think olor1n said it was quite flat/boring sounding lol.

I've got a Lyr on the way and will probably use it with the FUN unless the STX would be better.

As for the FUN with the LCD-2, it does an alright job I guess, but it doesn't blow me away. I'm hoping the Lyr will be a big improvement over the FUN.

With Earth. I never said it was boring. I think the Fun is a fine dac. Good recordings sound great. I'm listening to this at the moment and the fidelity is incredible. Everything is present, but there's still a very natural and analogue quality. I think I'm hearing what the LCD-2 is capable of for the first time.

Tracklist
---------
1. Tears Of Joy - Antonio Forcione
2. In Your Wild Garden - Josefine Cronholm
3. Hedonism (Just Because You Feel Good) - Skunk Anansie
4. Set Them Free - Caecillie Norby
5. Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet
6. Train Song - Holly Cole
7. The Gates of Istanbul - Loreena McKennitt
8. Breaking Silence - Janis Ian
9. Fever - Elvis Presley
10. Spanish Harlem - The Willy DeVille Acoustic Trio
11. Angel - Sabia
12. Samb-Adagio - Safri Duo
13. I Will Remember - Toto
14. Heart - Bo Stief Dream Machine
15. You and I (Trentemoller remix) - Filur feat. Pernille Rosendahl

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,183 of 1,252
I was referring to the artificial hollowness of the soundstage when I stated it sounded flat. To me, it also lacks the dynamics of even the Moon hdam. It's just too polite and lacks body.

Without the ada4627-1brz and the Amperex tubes, I suspect your setup will sound very distinct from mine (I also have the rev.2).

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #1,184 of 1,252
Compared to my Cary 306 SACD (as a DAC) and my Pioneer PD-9300 (CDP with 2xPCM58) the FUN sounds thin, harsh, 2D and lacks dynamics. We should't expect ultimate presentation from $345 DAC+AMP combo. It's a bargain for these money :)
It's just for FUN, not for sophisticated audiophile experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back