Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Jan 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #938 of 1,252
I recently replaced the USB module in my Fun, the original 48/16 module quit working.  The replacement is the TE7022 based module. I mostly used ASIO with my Windows XP laptop, now I'm using that same laptop but running Win 7 32 bit, with Foobar and the WASAPI output component installed.  Since the new USB supports up to 96/24, is that what you all use in the settings in control panel? :

In foobar itself I'm using:

My question is if these settings mean it will pass bit perfect up to 96/24, or is it going to somehow upconvert my 44/16 files?  Would I be better off setting these to 44/16 in control panel, and 16 bit in foobar?  My library of music is 99.999% 44/16 files.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

RonO

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #939 of 1,252
Posted in the HD650 appreciation forum but it may be more helpful here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n 

@ sphinxvc - Any impressions of the Sun hdam and that other dual opa you were experimenting with? I'm getting drawn closer to the NFB10WM despite the Fun's great synergy with the HD650. I've got Earth installed at the moment and I'm being reminded of how impressively transparent the Fun sounds in this configuration. It's mind boggling to think it could get better with a balanced setup.

I haven't received the ADA4627 in the mail yet but I will post initial impressions once I do.

Here are my initial impressions of the Sun w/HD650:  Has a more defined soundstage than the Earth & Moon.  Fills that soundstage completely (fuller), no part of it is wasted.  Every microdetail in the backgrounds of songs is brought forward.  Yes, the Earth is known as the most detailed opa but it is still natural in it's presentation: microdetails meant to be in the background stay in the background.  With the Sun all these microdetails are brought to the front, and I suspect this is why it's called dynamic.  Lows have impact until the microdetails start kicking in at which point they have no more impact than midrange/high microdetails.  The vocals, unless isolated, take a backseat.  The Moon is still king of vocals.  Overall it isn't the most realistic of the opas but a good one to have around.  It's musical & it slightly Grado-fies the HD650s.  And ambient music sounds better.

Edit 5 hours later:  This kind of freaky...I was listening to some ambient music I know pretty well (Machinarium OST) and I started hearing a crackling sound coming from somewhere behind my left shoulder.  I took off the phones & looked around: silence.  Microphonics?  Something wrong with my driver?  I replay the track and at the same time there it is again; just a micro-detail I'd never heard before using an area of the soundstage I'd never heard anything in before.  NFB10 beckons.

L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #940 of 1,252
Hi All,
   I've been doing alot of reading about different set-ups, and I understand most things like ss amps vs tube amps, recabled headphones, and the purposes for these things. Can someone please explain the purpose of a "pre" amp and what difference does it make in a system,(to boost power or enhance sound, or both and how)

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #941 of 1,252

Quote:
Hi All,
   I've been doing alot of reading about different set-ups, and I understand most things like ss amps vs tube amps, recabled headphones, and the purposes for these things. Can someone please explain the purpose of a "pre" amp and what difference does it make in a system,(to boost power or enhance sound, or both and how)

Preamp is only used with active speakers and power amps for speakers. If you only intend to listen with headphones you won't be needing a headamp with preamp.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #942 of 1,252
Audio signals are amplified multiple times before they reach your ears.  While a speaker (power) amp is designed to send out an electrical signal suitable to control speakers, it requires an equally well-controlled signal on its input end. That's what a pre-amp sends out. It so happens that the output of a pre-amp is about the same as that which is needed to drive headphones. However, the latest orthodynamic headphones seem to be able to handle the kind of power (higher current) a small speaker power amp outputs.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #944 of 1,252
hi guys,

i recently got a pair of hd650 and are loving them so much i decided to redo my rig. I am selling my xonar essence stx and a900's to fund this audio gd fun. I plan to use the fun as an preamp for my nad amp and wharfedale speakers as well as for my hd650 on my computer. However i will also like to unplug it and put it in my room when i feel tired and want to listen to my hd 650 on my bed (one of the main reasons i want an usb amp). I know this has been debated many times but is the A version really worth the extra 100 usd? I will definately get the wolfston dac and a moon/earth op amp. However is it worth it to upgrade goldplated sockets and the headphone jack upgrade? Also can someone explain the usb 24/48 bit for me.

My laptop is my room is a dodgly asus eeepc which i will run the fun with however my pc in my lounge room is pretty competant.

Can i ask olir1n how much was shipping for you in aus, how long did it take to get delivered and was the packaging good (any dmg with the box). I recently had bad experiences with international shipping.

Also are the op amps hard to change, i am extremely bad at installing little electronics ...

Thanks

Matt

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #945 of 1,252

Quote:
hi guys,

i recently got a pair of hd650 and are loving them so much i decided to redo my rig. I am selling my xonar essence stx and a900's to fund this audio gd fun. I plan to use the fun as an preamp for my nad amp and wharfedale speakers as well as for my hd650 on my computer. However i will also like to unplug it and put it in my room when i feel tired and want to listen to my hd 650 on my bed (one of the main reasons i want an usb amp). I know this has been debated many times but is the A version really worth the extra 100 usd? I will definately get the wolfston dac and a moon/earth op amp. However is it worth it to upgrade goldplated sockets and the headphone jack upgrade? Also can someone explain the usb 24/48 bit for me.

My laptop is my room is a dodgly asus eeepc which i will run the fun with however my pc in my lounge room is pretty competant.

Can i ask olir1n how much was shipping for you in aus, how long did it take to get delivered and was the packaging good (any dmg with the box). I recently had bad experiences with international shipping.

Also are the op amps hard to change, i am extremely bad at installing little electronics ...

Thanks

Matt

Shipping was $46 I believe to AUS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back