Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Jun 12, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #586 of 1,252
Yeah I burned it in before I burned in my opa earth... so I should be good :)   I think the moon would do a better job smoothing stuff out compared to me using the fet module. I liked the moon :)  but not so much the fet module...  I guess I'll know soon enough.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #588 of 1,252

Quote:
I will report back my findings on the TE7022 module vs. my modified Hiface once I receive the unit.

Looking forward to your impressions. I'm beginning to think the TE7022 is an attractive option for my FUN since I am using the FUN in my work studio. I have the USB ASIO driver so maybe it can be used for the USB input as well.

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #589 of 1,252
Hi i'm new to this thread, i'm thinking of buying one of these to replace my modded zero dac as i recently bought a new computer which doesn't have optical, so i need something with usb input.  I just wanted to know what other alternatives there are out there?  I don't mind two separate units, one for dac and one for amp.  I already have a darkvoice 332 but it gets hot in the summer so would like an alternative.  I have about £300 to spend. DIY is also an option!!

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #590 of 1,252
Still reading through the pages but I thought I'd ask about the custom volume gain (mentioned over in the D2000/Fun thread).

I'm interested in getting a reduced gain so that I can listen at quiet levels and get above the channel imballance. Currently using an ibasso D10 with my two sets and on both I have to digitally attenuate the signal so I can turn the amp up to just past 9:00 (about where the imballance ends) when using *both* of my headphones. It was mentioned that I could request a special gain structure of some sort to remedy this on the FUN. Is there anything specific I should ask for? The folks at audio-gd said they would get back to me sometime later this week, didn't know if there was some special terminology that I should be using or specific values of my headphones I should provide (one person mentioned the db/mW value). Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #591 of 1,252
Hello all.  Ok so i have new to the audiophile, but for the last 6 months I have been buying some decent gear and I have a question about the FUN sound flavor settings?  I have read the posts and looked on the Audio GD website but i dont understand how to set the jumpers to soft 1,2, or 3?  Do you switch them like a light switch?  or is there like a cap you put on it?  Sorry for this simple question..heh still really new to these types of equipment.  I am using AKG 601s and the Fun seems a little harsh, i am still in the process of burning it in though. I am using the Earth Opamp. Any help that anyone can give would be very appreciated.:)

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #592 of 1,252
To saitoh: Using the Fun with the K702's I get the volume to about 10-11oclock with the low gain switch on. I can get to very low listening levels and stay above the channel imbalance zone.

To Tink97: I think everyone who had the Fun had the same problem initially. It is harsh for a looong time. Expect about 300hours before the sound smooths itself out. I personally didn't notice much change from using the soft settings. I got much better results from changing the jumper on the dac module. Just pull the little black jumper cap off the d/a module and make it like the one in the pic

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #593 of 1,252
Thank you Muad, I just did what you said and it did indeed help get rid of some harshness, and yeah I am stilling burning this bad boy heh.   LOL and on another note you also explained what those little black caps were that came with the FUN, I thought they were junk so I threw away 2 of them awhile back, so i only have two of them rofl.  Live and learn I say, Everyone have a good day

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #594 of 1,252
I agree with Muad about the FUN taking quite some time to settle in. I had mine for about 2 months and it is now actually quite settled in the sound. The harshness was present even after more than 300 hours of burning in. I suspect that it probably took about a month for my unit to settle, despite running it 24/7 with a few power down cycle in between.

@slim.a, anyword about the new 24/96 module for the USB replacement? I was going to order one for my unit as I used the FUN to do some monitoring and initial mix on my work station until I read on the DAC-19 thread about kunalraiker having configuration issues with the chip in his DAC-19. It would be good to hear your impressions about this.

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #595 of 1,252

Quote:
To saitoh: Using the Fun with the K702's I get the volume to about 10-11oclock with the low gain switch on. I can get to very low listening levels and stay above the channel imbalance zone.

As I read it, the K702s are 105 dB/V compared to my UM3X which is 124 db. I have to digitally attenuate the signal before it gets to my D10 and the gain on the D10 isn't anything special. I have to as well (but not as often) for my Denon 7000s and those are 108. So either I listen at quieter levels, or the D10's imballance is much higher (or that 3db difference is enough, don't know).

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #596 of 1,252

Quote:
I agree with Muad about the FUN taking quite some time to settle in. I had mine for about 2 months and it is now actually quite settled in the sound. The harshness was present even after more than 300 hours of burning in. I suspect that it probably took about a month for my unit to settle, despite running it 24/7 with a few power down cycle in between.

@slim.a, anyword about the new 24/96 module for the USB replacement? I was going to order one for my unit as I used the FUN to do some monitoring and initial mix on my work station until I read on the DAC-19 thread about kunalraiker having configuration issues with the chip in his DAC-19. It would be good to hear your impressions about this.

Sorry, I won't be able to test the 24/96 usb module in the coming weeks. I asked audio-gd to delay the shipment of the usb module (as long as a power filter I ordered from them) because I won't be at home to receive them.

I am also curious to hear about that 24/96 usb replacement. I wonder if any FUN user got the new Tenor module.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #597 of 1,252
Has anyone tried the fun with burson discrete opamp? How much does it improve? Does it get very near to the dac 19 sound quality with this opamp?

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #598 of 1,252

Quote:
Has anyone tried the fun with burson discrete opamp? How much does it improve? Does it get very near to the dac 19 sound quality with this opamp?

Audio-GD makes the OPA's for Burson or at least did so in the Past.  I have a Burson and an A-GD and they are identical. except for PCB color.  The new ones "look" different and it is not clear whether A-GD still makes them for Burson.  I've asked and been told that they do.  So when you put an Earth OPA in your FUN, you can call it a Burson if it makes you feel better!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hificollective.co.uk/images/burson_pic2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/bursonaudioopamps.html&usg=__v2T40xZdBleww6yuOjIFYlNxw4s=&h=242&w=297&sz=15&hl=en&start=3&sig2=_z_rmkHp3-ApscurzLrrWw&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=COoD7uGRRr-tKM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dburson%2Bopamp%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=qSgmTMayL4P7lweNotnAAg

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #599 of 1,252
Some other Chinese company makes the Burson OPAMPs and other Burson gear now as far as I know.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #600 of 1,252

Quote:
Some other Chinese company makes the Burson OPAMPs and other Burson gear now as far as I know.

I was wondering about that.  I had asked the question and got a Nebulous answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back