Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Apr 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #451 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple version is 190usd. Very good price. But how much effect on sound quality that different brand parts, that is the question.

Looks like it's really an introductory deal to Audio-Gd's entry level gears, like the mini Sparrow just released.

I wonder how this will impact the release of a PCM1704UK module for those of us hoping to see one being developed for the FUN (and now Sparrow)?

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #452 of 1,252
wow price different of 140 usd
tongue.gif

but there is also a basic version for the Sparrow version 125 usd
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #456 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Krap, Im too tired to figure out what this means for us PCM1704UK people.... Anyone have any idea if this is a good or bad thing?

Is that concept even alive and well??

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #457 of 1,252
I'm honestly not sure if there'd be any benefit to a PCM1704UK in the Fun. I doubt it would improve much over the AD1852 and you'd need at least two of them, making for a $50+ upgrade.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #458 of 1,252
I don't know, there's obviously a demand for it. Other than what Kingwa's already said there's been no other mention of it. Im quite happy with the fun the way it is, but would buy the PCM1704 module if it were available. I think many people would. I think kingwa would look into it but if there wasn't a noticable difference/improvement then I don't think he would put it into production. The one reason I think there might be an improvement is that the Fun is very responsive to different modules. I can easily notice differences between opamps and Im guessing once I receive my fet output module and wolfson dac that I will be able to notice a difference in them also. I think the Fun sounds as good as it's lowest quality component. What the weak link is.. well I don't have any kind of clue, most of what I've written is simply uneducated guesswork...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #459 of 1,252
I wanna pick one of these up so badly, but I don't want to drop like $50 on just shipping when I can find someone in the US to ship it for like $10 D:

So I shall play the waiting game.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #460 of 1,252
Having heard both the FUN and the DAC19/C2, I can say on my part I would look forward to a PCM1704UK module. Maybe its an oversimplification to compare the two but to my ears, the FUN sounds good but IMHO, the PCM1704 module will take it up to another level yet still below the DAC19/C2. Would even consider paying $100 for the upgrade module.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #461 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanna pick one of these up so badly, but I don't want to drop like $50 on just shipping when I can find someone in the US to ship it for like $10 D:

So I shall play the waiting game.

Good luck with that. However, most people who price gear that they bought from China factor in what they paid in shipping as part of the price they paid. I have some gear I bought that had a $170 shipping cost. That factors into the cost of the gear. It is also reflected into the price if you buy from Pacific Valve.

But there is nothing wrong with going for the "pre-owned" mark down.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #462 of 1,252
190$ ? I can't believe it. Why do I bought the A version ?
biggrin.gif

When I remember right the old basic version doesn't include ACSS gain modules and that was one reason why I chose version A.
I don't think that only cheaper caps and resistor can make that huge difference in price. I'm really confused (and a little bit disappointed) about this offer.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #464 of 1,252
If you want to know the difference, should send Kingwa an email asking. I am pretty sure there's some decent difference otherwise Kingwa would have discontinued version A by now considering the price difference. I also wonder if the use of different components has something to do with the current policies being passed in China to encourage the use of Chinese parts in domestic production.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #465 of 1,252
This seems like a great deal!! Was considering going for the Sparrow, but this might have to be the choice.... Then again, the Sparrow is at the very top of my budget (not that this stops me - the 'budget' for my first headphone purchase was $40-50, ended up something $200...oops)

Should I go for this or just hope that the Sparrow is good at the lower price point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back