Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Mar 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #121 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I think that the FUN is already a formidable unit as it is today. Once you use it as a DAC/headphone amp, you realize that you have to spend a lot on separate DACs, heaphones amps and interconnects to better its performance.

Many people also said this about the compass. Heck, I was even one of them. Then came a flux of products that equaled or surpassed the performance of the compass for between 200-300. But what the compass did do was raise the bar for companies to produce good sounding combo units that didn't cost an arm and leg. And also produce one that the head amp wasn't an afterthought. I hope this unit does the same; forces manufacturers to raise the bar yet again.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #122 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people also said this about the compass. Heck, I was even one of them. Then came a flux of products that equaled or surpassed the performance of the compass for between 200-300. But what the compass did do was raise the bar for companies to produce good sounding combo units that didn't cost an arm and leg. And also produce one that the head amp wasn't an afterthought. I hope this unit does the same; forces manufacturers to raise the bar yet again.

While the Compass could be easily copied or bettered, the version A FUN is a different beast. Unless other companies develop the same current gain technology, I think that it would be probably hard to make a normal voltage feedback dac/amp that betters the performance of the FUN around the same price.

Comparing version A to version B (the latter being probably closer to the Compass) is like comparing 2 products from different leagues. The version A has qualities (effortless resolution, refinement of timbre...) that are usually only found on very expensive and high end equipment. The only weakness of the FUN is that being priced at such a low level, people won't treat it as they should. When used with high quality transport, digital cable, power cord and power filter: the sound coming from the FUN is amazing. When used from USB and with a regular power cord, the sound is still very good but it is only a fraction of what it can achieve when it is well set-up.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #123 of 1,252
Quote:

When used with high quality transport, digital cable, power cord and power filter: the sound coming from the FUN is amazing. When used from USB and with a regular power cord, the sound is still very good but it is only a fraction of what it can achieve when it is well set-up.

That might be true, but doing all that would mean the FUN's not gonna be only usd285/330 cheap

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #125 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That might be true, but doing all that would mean the FUN's not gonna be only usd285/330 cheap

Yes, but at least it gives the owner the possibility to improve the sound without having to sell the FUN.
For example, it will cost a FUN owner less to buy a (real) high quality power cord than to upgrade to the dac19+C2 headamp for a comparable increase in performance.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #126 of 1,252
Quote:

While the Compass could be easily copied or bettered, the version A FUN is a different beast. Unless other companies develop the same current gain technology, I think that it would be probably hard to make a normal voltage feedback dac/amp that betters the performance of the FUN around the same price.

Comparing version A to version B (the latter being probably closer to the Compass) is like comparing 2 products from different leagues. The version A has qualities (effortless resolution, refinement of timbre...) that are usually only found on very expensive and high end equipment. The only weakness of the FUN is that being priced at such a low level, people won't treat it as they should. When used with high quality transport, digital cable, power cord and power filter: the sound coming from the FUN is amazing. When used from USB and with a regular power cord, the sound is still very good but it is only a fraction of what it can achieve when it is well set-up.

People also said this about the compass as well. They said that it would be impossible to use the same quality of components and design for anywhere near the asking price of the compass. But in reality many companies charge far more to for a product than it cost to produce. Audio is gettng better every day. Take the c-2c for example. 3 or 4 years ago an amp with that type of performance would have cost a lot more. Now you see products like that everywhere. You can't say that there won't be product with similar performance in that price range. It just haven't come out yet.

PS. The products I was refering to eariler were not clones.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #127 of 1,252
The PC1704 module needs differential power supply so 5V and -5V and the DAC module doesn't have that, so it has to be another cable heading to somewhere else on the pcb, but it would be definitely great to have a high end module like that.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #128 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People also said this about the compass as well. They said that it would be impossible to use the same quality of components and design for anywhere near the asking price of the compass. But in reality many companies charge far more to for a product than it cost to produce. Audio is gettng better every day. Take the c-2c for example. 3 or 4 years ago an amp with that type of performance would have cost a lot more. Now you see products like that everywhere. You can't say that there won't be product with similar performance in that price range. It just haven't come out yet.

PS. The products I was refering to eariler were not clones.

First, while other people might have said that about the Compass, I don't believe I have ever said that about it.

As for the C-2C, I truly do not believe that there are comparable products at the same price today: If you can find a solid state headphone amp that is running Class A, uses current gain technology, that is zero feedback and that uses the same quality components and that is sold at around $350, please let me know. I would be very much interested in testing such a product.

But I agree with your last part. It is not safe to say that there won't be a better product in the future. However, since we are shopping in the present, the FUN seems like a wise choice. By the way, if you re-read what I said:

Quote:

Unless other companies develop the same current gain technology, I think that it would be probably hard to make a normal voltage feedback dac/amp that betters the performance of the FUN around the same price.

I never said that it won't be bettered. I just said that it would be hard/difficult to make a better one.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #129 of 1,252
And I never said that a comparble amp to the c-2c would have all of the audio-gd goodies inside. The point I was making that there are other amps that are as good in the same price range. Take the shanling for example. The are some who compared it to the c-2c and like it better. Others like it just as much, and guess what, it only cost 218.00. I like audio-gd products. I currently own a c-2c. You have strayed from the original poit I was making which was audio-gd raised the bar with the compass, and forced other companies to come up with good sounding gear for less money and I hope the same will follow suit with the fun. You just took it to a whole nother level.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #130 of 1,252
Quote:

When used with high quality transport, digital cable, power cord and power filter: the sound coming from the FUN is amazing. When used from USB and with a regular power cord, the sound is still very good but it is only a fraction of what it can achieve when it is well set-up.

I totally approve you on that point. Having just received mine and tested it with its stock power cable and Audio-gd exclusive power cable, I can say it definitely benefits from using higher quality power cable. And so goes for the RCA cable, I used the stock one and a mid quality one I have and the difference is clearly audible, so I am now confident about what the Oyaide DR-510 I ordered could improve.

By the way, thank you again for your help and advices, I am now a pleased Audio-gd user
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #131 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally approve you on that point. Having just received mine and tested it with its stock power cable and Audio-gd exclusive power cable, I can say it definitely benefits from using higher quality power cable. And so goes for the RCA cable, I used the stock one and a mid quality one I have and the difference is clearly audible, so I am now confident about what the Oyaide DR-510 I ordered could improve.

By the way, thank you again for your help and advices, I am now a pleased Audio-gd user
beerchug.gif

I am glad my findings were helpful for you.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #132 of 1,252
Well I got my fun and wow! No more upgrading for me, this thing is perfect for my speakers.

One question though, other than sinner6 has anyone else had to forcibly install the opa earth in the fun?

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #133 of 1,252
muad: please post a comparison of FUN with D1 if you have a chance. Thanks.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #134 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad;6465548[B
[size=small]]Well I got my fun and wow! No more upgrading for me, this thing is perfect for my speakers.[/size][/B]

One question though, other than sinner6 has anyone else had to forcibly install the opa earth in the fun?

Yeah, I've said that before... About $10,000 ago!

The Earth should slip in pretty easy [size=x-small]IF[/size] the pins are straight.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #135 of 1,252
The pins on mine are perfectly straight, there simply is not enough clearance between the capacitor on the outside left of the Earth and and the adjacent cap on the FUN. I ended up just lifting the HDAM up so that it is not fully seated,but it still works and there is no tension on any parts.

contact.JPG

Now I wonder if a part like this would be what I want:

8 PIN SOLDER TAIL DIP SOCKET - 08-3518-10

Right now the thing is about 1mm up from seated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back