Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Mar 12, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #151 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the 2134, try ordering samples from Texas Instruments directly. Other than that, Mouser or Digikey should have them.

I found them (2x LME49710) to be tonally very similar, with the Earth slightly more detailed to my ears when I compared them in the Compass. I'll have to do so again in the Fun though.

I tried TI first, samples were not available for that Chip for some reason.

I hated to pay for a chip!

But I was curious about it since KW had selected it.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #152 of 1,252
Here's the deal with newer opa earths not seating correctly in the audio gd fun.

Quote:

DOn't need extensions leads.
If you can't let the OPA seat correct, cut the two caps in the OPAs, for FUN, don't need these two caps.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #153 of 1,252
How big a deal is ACSS? There's been the comparison of FUN A vs B and FUN vs DAC19.

It would be interesting to FUN vs (DAC19 + decent non-ACSS amp). DAC19 into FUN amp using ACSS might also be interesting, though may not reveal the improvements of the DAC19.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #154 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the deal with newer opa earths not seating correctly in the audio gd fun.

You can clip those caps off.

No way to bend the cap on the board a little? Just enough to make room for the Earth with the cap left in place?

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #156 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question for you slim.

How does the opa earth and LME49710 compare?

Quote:

I found them (2x LME49710) to be tonally very similar, with the Earth slightly more detailed to my ears when I compared them in the Compass. I'll have to do so again in the Fun though.

I haven't tried the LME49710, but the LME49720HA which is the metal can version of the opamp.

I found that the LME49720HA was significantly more detailed and faster than the Earth. Their tonal balance was close but the Earth was a little bit thicker.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #157 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How big a deal is ACSS? There's been the comparison of FUN A vs B and FUN vs DAC19.

It would be interesting to FUN vs (DAC19 + decent non-ACSS amp). DAC19 into FUN amp using ACSS might also be interesting, though may not reveal the improvements of the DAC19.

The FUN uses current gain (ACSS) internally but doesn't have an ACSS input.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #158 of 1,252
Can anybody tell me if the Fun at low gain and using both the DAC+amp sections is able to drive the Denon D5000 to ear-bleeding levels? I ask this because I sometimes like to listen to music at extremely loud volumes, so loud that it would make other people flinch in pain.

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #159 of 1,252
slim.a: Interesting. I noticed a few people had good things to say about the metal cap versions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautilus983 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody tell me if the Fun at low gain and using both the DAC+amp sections is able to drive the Denon D5000 to ear-bleeding levels? I ask this because I sometimes like to listen to music at extremely loud volumes, so loud that it would make other people flinch in pain.

Thanks!

Put it in high-gain mode then. I strongly recommend against listening extremely loud as you're permanently (irreversibly) damaging your hearing.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #160 of 1,252
Quote:

Put it in high-gain mode then. I strongly recommend against listening extremely loud as you're permanently (irreversibly) damaging your hearing.

The problem is that I wish to perform the mod that I spoke of a few pages ago that will change the attenuator to one that cannot support gain - that's why I wish to know how it would work in low gain (+2db) mode, as that would be almost comparable to having no gain
smily_headphones1.gif

It's true about the hearing damage - this (listening at extremely high volumes) sort of happens rarely, I normally like to listen at normal volume, but sometimes, when the music is especially good, I can't do anything but turn the volume way up
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #161 of 1,252
I have the D5000's and the FUN anything past 9 o'clock on the volume dial in low gain mode is very loud. Have no doubt that you can drive the D5000's to the point of doing damage and beyond. In high gain mode, 7 o clock is pretty loud.

If you would like to be listening to music in the future, consider not being abusive to your ears. I ride a motorcycle and wind noise alone has given me tinnitus and I'm only in my 30's. The damage you are doing is permanent.

Anyway...

And Thanks to the folks who provided opamp related info. As for clipping the cap....who is going to be the Guinea Pig?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #162 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the D5000's and the FUN anything past 9 o'clock on the volume dial in low gain mode is very loud. Have no doubt that you can drive the D5000's to the point of doing damage and beyond. In high gain mode, 7 o clock is pretty loud.

If you would like to be listening to music in the future, consider not being abusive to your ears. I ride a motorcycle and wind noise alone has given me tinnitus and I'm only in my 30's. The damage you are doing is ppermanent

Anyway...

And Thanks to the folks who provided opamp related info. As for clipping the cap....who is going to be the Guinea Pig?
smily_headphones1.gif

It won't hurt it to clip the cap. .The originals did not have that cap. You can look on the HDAM pages at A-GD and they show how to do the cap mod before they started coming with the caps in place. Will the SQ suffer a little, that's up to you to tell, I'll bet in a test yo wouldn't hear the difference.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #163 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the D5000's and the FUN anything past 9 o'clock on the volume dial in low gain mode is very loud.

So right now I wonder more than before why with my DT 880 32 Ohms and their sensibility of 96 dB I have to use high gain mode and push the volume at 12 o'clock for it to become loud, and almost at the max in low gain mode.
I am using 11 to 12 o'clock and high gain mode all the time.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #164 of 1,252
Perhaps we have different versions of the FUN? I've the A version with ACSS and Diamond output buffers. The Denon is rated at 24 ohms and 106dB sensitivity, but sure responds wonderfully to a good amp. Specs don't always tell the full story. Maybe someone with DT880's will chime in?

Today, I received the J$ earpads for D5000 and this caused me to set the "favor" back to Neutral, and while I was in there I moved the jumper on the DAC module. All in all, this is the best things have sounded yet. Since things are working so well, it's hard for me to work up the desire to snip the cap off. If I do get a wild hair would it be advisable to remove both caps, or just the one?

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #165 of 1,252
Guinea Pig? Lol
biggrin.gif

I cut mine days ago... sometimes Im too impatient to wait for responses to my questions. I don't hear any difference...

Kingwas response to cutting the caps

Quote:

Some gears design the circuits without these two caps, so sound bad, so we add these two caps, even the gears design without these caps on the boare, the sound not degrade.
But in our gears , we design is standard, so these two caps useless for work safe.

BTW sinner, I've been going back and forth between the 2x and 4x oversampling for the AD1852. The detail is much better in the 4x oversampling (front jumper setting) than the back jumper setting. The harshness has slowly been going away but is still there. If what everyone says is true then it should sound pretty awesome in a few hundred hours with the stock setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back