Review of Sennheiser HD280 (LONG)
Mar 11, 2002 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

delenda est Sony

500+ Head-Fier
Review of Sennheiser HD280s (LONG)

Description: Senns newest set of heavy duty professional closed phones, to be distinguished from the Senn 202s and 212s, which are newer closed phones based on the 4x7 series of open design phones. The 202s and 212s are also lighter than the 280s, less sturdy, less expensive, and intended mainly for use by "laymen". I purchased the 280s at a Virgin Megastore for $99.

Technical: These phones have an impedance of 64 Ohms. Senn makes another version of the 280s, the 280-13s which have a 300 Ohm impedance. Freq range is 8-25,000 Hz. Sensitivity is 102 dB using normal calculation. (Senn cites another sensitivity figure of 113 dB, but this uses their seemingly proprietary calculation method which does not conform to any other manufacturer's numbers.) Weight is 200 grams. Phones are a closed circumaural design, made of sturdy plastic. The phones are foldable (like the V6) and can also be rotated so that the cups lay flat (like Grado SRs). The phone cups can also be rotated outwards in the housing (that one's for you, Gluegun!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Senn uses a 3 meter coiled cord, terminating in a gold plated 1/8 " jack with a ¼" gold plated adapter plag supplied. Warranty is two years. An instruction booklet of minimal utility is supplied. No carrying pouch is supplied, a bit of a disappointment as the $55 Sony V6s come with their own pouch. Sennheiser claims a 32 dB reduction of external noise, which seems quite likely given the tight fit and excellent seal between the pads and the ears. All parts are modular and can be replaced, including the single sided cable.

Appearance and Construction: Obvious design inspirations are the Sony V6 and the Beyer 250s. The Senns are a lot bigger than the Sonys, and sized comparably to the 250s. The circumaural pads are thick and comfy, more so than the V6, but less so than the Beyers mainly because the Senns use pleather rather than velour. As can be expected, the pleather does not breathe very well, so Sweaty Ear Syndrome makes its presence felt over time, though less so than in the Sonys, the original ear saunas. The Senns grip your head tightly and may annoy some, but overall I thought these phones were comfortable. The V6s seem sturdier as they use a bit of metal in their construction. The Sonys were also assembled in Japan, which made the battleship Yamato and triumphed over Godzilla on numerous occasions. The Senns on the other hand were made in Ireland, a nation known for making beer and sweaters, and who were soundly thrashed by the effete British on numerous occasions. Make of this what you will… (And I am an Irishman myself, so no squeals of outrage there laddies!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Despite some criticism here and elsewhere, I thought build quality was more than sufficient given the phone's price. These were much sturdier than the Senn 202s and even tougher than my $150 Grado SR125s. Beyer 250s may be built a bit better, but they cost at least 50% more than the Senns as well. The plastic was smooth, well finished, and generally confidence inspiring. The coiled cord seemed durable and could be bunched up nicely. These phones border on portability, as they are easily driven and can be folded up. However, they are very large when worn, rather heavy, and not insubstantial when folded, so don't throw away your MX500s. Aesthetics are vastly superior to the 202s and 497s, similar to the Sonys. However, the exotic Sennheiser brand name will lead beautiful women to question you more readily about the phones…heh!

Special Note for the Large Eared: The pads are much bigger on the 280s than on the Sony V6s. Those of you who want circumaural pads, and are worried that your Dumbo flaps won't fit in the Sonys, well, here's your phones, folks.

Sonic Impressions: To summarize quickly, a tad better than the V6, very close to the 250s, at least from my brief memory of auditioning the Beyers. However, shoppers considering the V6 will not want to spend the extra money on these, while those thinking of 250s will not appreciate the somewhat lower build and comfort quality on the Senns.

Testing Material: Sort of an abbreviated mix here, as the Senns were so unsurprising. That's a good thing in this case…

Classical: Beethoven, 3rd Symphony, Harnoncourt, COE// Dvorak, New World Symphony, Dohanyi, Cleveland SO// Kronos Quartet, Black Angels.

Jazz: John Coltrane, A Love Supreme// Dave Brubeck, Take Five

Metal: Tool, Undertow// Opeth, Blackwater Park// Iced Earth, Dark Saga

Electronic: Chemical Brothers, Exit Planet Dust// Lunatic Calm, Metropolis

Vocals: Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville// Tori Amos, Little Earthquakes

Strengths: Have I used the phrase "similar to the V6" yet? No? Well let me start here. These are excellent phones, very well rounded, but are also "classic" closed phones, with a similar sonic sound to the V6s and 250s. The phones are nicely balanced and do well with all types of music. They are precise and analytical, and are never overpowered by sound.

Bass is handled well, with slightly deeper and richer extension than the V6s, but certainly nothing dramatic. The V6s are called warm by some (like me!), bright by others, but that debate should not be an issue here---these cans are undoubtedly warm, very similar to the 250s. Overall though despite this slight coloration, neutrality is not heavily impacted, and the bass never overwhelms the other frequencies.

Midranges are crisp and well-differentiated. Vocals in particular sound very clear and balanced. This is where the Senns are most similar to the Sonys.

Trebles are handled somewhat better than with the Sony V6. The Sonys when pushed with complex high pitched note sequences (i.e. mainly in classical pieces) become a bit brittle and shrill. The Senns are more forgiving and seem far more comfortable at the upper ranges. They could be said to be more musical and less analytical with treble than the Sonys. ( I cannot compare to the 250s here as I did not audition them with any especially treble oriented music.)

Articulation is excellent, quite similar to the Sonys. Soundstage is a bit broader than the V6s, closer to the 250s. Volume out of all sources was more than adequate. The phones were fine with portable devices, but sounded better when driven by a receiver powered jack. Trebles in particular sounded sharper and clearer from a receiver, but as mentioned a portable device will develop most of the 280s potential, say 90%.

Acoustic isolation is excellent. The 32 dB reduction of external noise claimed by Senn seems accurate. The phones also emit very minimal noise to the external environment. In both regards, isolation and silence, the Senns are even superior to the V6s, themselves already exceptional performers in both areas.

Weaknesses: As with all closed cans, the soundstage is not particularly broad. The music also lacks Grados "in your face" presentation, but then these are nor Grados. Overall, no real weaknesses to speak of.

Summary: Senn has built a fine closed headphone which will become infinitely more desirable if and when Sony discontinues production of the V6. Although slightly superior to the V6s in soundstage depth and treble reproduction, the superior quality does not justify paying close to twice the V6s $55 price. Similarly, the 280s cannot mount a credible threat to the reputation of the Beyer 250-80s, as the differences in comfort and build quality/materials will not sway those already inclined to pay Beyer 250 prices. Still, Sennheiser is to be commended for making excellent and relatively affordable closed headphones.

Who should buy these? Headphone obsessives like myself. Sennheiser fans. The Large Eared. And, most likely, those who want an excellent closed headphone who live in parts of the world where it is tough to get the V6, but easier to get Sennheisers.

Special Note 1: These impressions are written after only roughly 20 hours of break-in. I haven't noticed much difference over time, so I am thinking there should not be much drama in terms of radical sonic change as break-in continues. If there is, I'll post an update.

Special Note 2: Many commentators including Jan Meier have had negative impressions of the sonic signature of these. I can only conclude that the rumors of a driver revision before the 280s release in the U.S. is accurate, as I own many phones and can attest that the 280s sound fine, as least as good as the V6. Weak bass, shrill treble etc is just not heard on my set of these phones.

Questions and comments welcome! And Happy St Paddy's Day to all…
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 13
Funny two reviews in a day.
I agree with some of your comments and don't with others. Nothing disturbing here as we all have different ears (thank god) and different tastes. I spend the weekend comparing DT 250 to HD 280 and for me the Senns are clearly on top.
Personal taste here too perhaps.

Enjoy your new phones delenda est Sony

Mar 11, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 13
That's funny BLR! I was reading your fine review at the same time that you were reading mine...We both have excellent taste!
wink.gif

I only heard the 250s for a half hour or so with a few CDs that I brought along while shopping, so your A/B comparison is far more instructive vis a vis the 250s. I also noted your point on burn-in, and will have to pay close attention to see if my 280s see an improvement over time as well...

Enjoy your 280s as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 13
Cool review, delenda!

There it is, the answer to my impedance question from blr's HD280 vs. Beyer DT250 review: 64 and 300 Ohms versions. Thanks.
wink.gif
The only thing we don't know now is how the two compare sonically.

Other than that, I guess with your HD280 vs. Sony V6 comparison we got everything covered now. Thanks for you very entertaining review, delenda!

I presume you are right: Jan Meier must have heard a pre-series model to reach his negative conclusions. I have listened to the HD280 briefly, and found it to be quite good as well, nice midrange, good sensitivity. I liked it.

St. Patricks Day? Should I start celebrating yet? Is one allowed to if one only has German beer and Scotch whisky?

Mar 11, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks Tomcat! All are welcome to celebrate St Patrick's Day, and considering the mediocre swill called beer served in most American pubs on the occasion, a German would have a distinct advantage in the celebration...
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd go easy on the Scotch though!
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

St. Patricks Day? Should I start celebrating yet? Is one allowed to if one only has German beer and Scotch whisky?

No!

No one should be allowed to celebrate St. Paddy's day when my mom is called Paddy (yeah, my mom
tongue.gif
) and I don't even know what St. Paddy's day is!!
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 11, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 13
JB---

birth of St Patrick, patron Saint of Ireland, who cast all the snakes (Druids?) out of Ireland and did generally nice things. Celebrated on 3/17. NYC has a huge parade, easily the City's most debauched public festival, and all become drunk on cheap green beer and generally behave like asses. I don't think anyone was thinking of your Mom here, but I'll have a beer on her behalf!
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Why should NYC have the biggest parade for the saint of Ireland?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 16, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Why should NYC have the biggest parade for the saint of Ireland?

delenda est Sony didn't say it was the biggest parade, just " easily the City's most debauched public festival".

Well I'm not Irish nor do I live in NY, but my guess is that there are a lot of Irish immigrants and descendants living in NY, and New Yorkers prefer parades that involve beer the best!

Who can blame them?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

with a similar sonic sound

Heh that takes the cake.

Actually that was a helpful review -- so I assume that out of the set of all circum-closed headphones, the V6 is the most portable?

Mar 17, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 13
RMS---

yes, the V6s are indeed portable to a fair degree. They are small enough when folded so as to be shoved into a pocket, and the coiled cord is easily tucked away in a pocket when you're using em. A little bit heavy though, and sweaty ears abound unless you get Beyer pads. They are also very tough which is good for portaphones.

280 update: Nudging the V6. Over time, the soundstage appears noticeably broader. Also, the 280s handle tough music easily. Examples: a) deep bass line in track 4 on Crystal Methods Vegas album--280s give the most satisfying deep and prolonged bass line that I've heard in headphones here. b) Miles Davis Portraits of Spain---trumpet solos are done perfectly on the 280s. These are literally the only phones in my collection that make it pleasant to listen to this album. (Even beating the Grado 125s). And most impressive: c) Mahlers Seventh Symphony: all the vocal and instrumental input kinda boggles the v6 at some points and make them seem shrill and lose distinction. The 280s handle the same passage with full articulation and admirable poise.

Also, superlative Grado-esque articulation on the Senns, moreso than with the V6. Fer instance, on Opeth's Morningrise. a virtual triathalon for headphones, you can hear the individual guitar cords as they're strummed in many acoustic passages...

Conclusion: 280s seem more and more to be worth the extra money above and beyond the V6 cost. Though the Sonys are more portable...

smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 13
Excellent Review

I still have mine and was purchased at the High-end audiophile show in Hong Kong 2001.  According to a buddy of mine, the Sennheiser HD280-Professional has had two driver revisions with the last using the Duo-Fol drivers.  The first version which is the one that I have took nearly a year to develop a certain warmth and character that was more than livable.  Sound stage presentation is excellent while the clarity and mid-range smoothness is quite good.  Bass frequencies are present and very deep, which is more than I can say for those who insist that this is the worst headphone Sennheiser has made.  The first and last version of the HD280 Professional are indeed very good versions.  The construction however is primary drawback as the arms over time will develop cracks that eventually lead to the destruction of the headphone.  Mine hasn't fallen apart yet as I have added layers of resin and gaffer tape to keep the headphone intact.

One note though is these headphones love to be amplified.  Without amplification, these headphones are rather lifeless with no sonic character worthy of Sennheiser.  Once a good dedicated or portable amp (I use the C&C Box+) is used, the Sennheiser HD280 Professional headphones begin to show its true character.

Some food for thought everyone.  Have a great week and weekend.

May 12, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Excellent Review

I still have mine and was purchased at the High-end audiophile show in Hong Kong 2001.  According to a buddy of mine, the Sennheiser HD280-Professional has had two driver revisions with the last using the Duo-Fol drivers.  The first version which is the one that I have took nearly a year to develop a certain warmth and character that was more than livable.  Sound stage presentation is excellent while the clarity and mid-range smoothness is quite good.  Bass frequencies are present and very deep, which is more than I can say for those who insist that this is the worst headphone Sennheiser has made.  The first and last version of the HD280 Professional are indeed very good versions.  The construction however is primary drawback as the arms over time will develop cracks that eventually lead to the destruction of the headphone.  Mine hasn't fallen apart yet as I have added layers of resin and gaffer tape to keep the headphone intact.

One note though is these headphones love to be amplified.  Without amplification, these headphones are rather lifeless with no sonic character worthy of Sennheiser.  Once a good dedicated or portable amp (I use the C&C Box+) is used, the Sennheiser HD280 Professional headphones begin to show its true character.

Some food for thought everyone.  Have a great week and weekend.

Nice. A ten year gap before this post yesterday ha ha. Some good points raised though, I still have mine after years and still recommend them as quality monitors.

Cheers! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back