Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #304 of 358
Same here, better on the computer, not much on my phone.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #305 of 358
After near 4 months of daily use, I can finally give the thumbs up for the Jitterbug in both of my scenario:

1) iMac USB output -> Jitterbug -> DA USB input.

2) Portable hard drive or flash drives -> Jitterbug -> Bryston BDP-1's USB input

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #306 of 358
After near 4 months of daily use, I can finally give the thumbs up for the Jitterbug in both of my scenario:

1) iMac USB output -> Jitterbug -> DA USB input.

2) Portable hard drive or flash drives -> Jitterbug -> Bryston BDP-1's USB input

Which setup have you noted the most difference and how so?

My scenarios:

PC WIN 10 > Foobar 2K > JitterBug > UGREEN USB Hub > DragonFly Black > Headphones

Huawei P10 > UAPP > OTG > JitterBug > DragonFly Black > Headphones​

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #307 of 358
Which setup have you noted the most difference and how so?

My scenarios:

PC WIN 10 > Foobar 2K > JitterBug > UGREEN USB Hub > DragonFly Black > Headphones

Huawei P10 > UAPP > OTG > JitterBug > DragonFly Black > Headphones​

I found it noticeable in all 3 plug ins (DAC, PNY flash drive, WD portable hard drive 5400 RPM). I use WAV and run every software and hardware maximized for playback.

In PC, I used it with Audirvana Plus, Spotify, Youtube, Netflix. With iMac/Macbook Pro, it was the most noticeable, especially when watching films or TV shows due to the prominence on the vocals. In my Amphion system, the phantom centre shrinked from a blob in the middle to very precise and dominant centre. The vocal space wasn't as wide or tall, but actually felt like it was coming with lot more depth. You could almost make out the vocals being enunciated from a place behind the speakers and coming at you. The other thing that changed was that the background got quieter. Not least, the bass got noticeably more tighter with better transient information. It might seem dull at first (especially when compounded with burn-in), but it's a more pleasing listen as there is less going on. Things occupy only the space they are supposed to, which actually gives a lot of breathing room. It's mentally more relaxing not having to sort through the image and use up brain power.

Regarding the Flash drive and Hard drive which feeds the Bryston BDP-1 player and then outputs to the DAC via AES, there was also a positive benefit. Now, the BDP-1 is already quite good as a transport. Better than all the laptops and desktops I have (both Mac and PC). It really lets you hear the material and the DA. There are plenty of threads out there on ComputerAudiophile and some on Audiocircle about different storage devices, so I won't fill you in with all that. I will note that the flash drives are typically the tightest sounding, although some can have a grunge to the sound. For me, the Jitterbug on the flash drives really took away that fatiguing factor. The WD hard drives on the other hand have no such fatigue or grunge but can sound veiled in comparison to flash drives or SSDs. The Jitterbug did remove some of that.

I have 1 Jitterbug at the moment. Will definitely pick up another in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #308 of 358
I have two plugged into an OWC Thunderbolt2 dock, at the parallel USB 3.0 jacks. One goes to an Oppo HA-1. The other goes to an industrial powered USB 2.0 hub, into which my Definitive Tech Inclines are connected. The cables are all (now) Pangea USB Premier SE: 1.5m to the Oppo; and a 1m to the hub, then a .5m to the speakers. The hub also has a printer and wireless mouse dongle plugged into it.

I found the Incline speakers very sensitive to cables and cable length if the Jitterbug was in that line. Depending upon the cables and length, sometimes the computer would not recognize the speakers, or the sound was distorted and intermittent. With the original DefTech 24" USB cable going to the hub, and a generic cable between the dock and hub, I could use the Jitterbug at the cable going to the speakers. Strange... But the Jitterbug seems to improve the sound no matter where I put it.

I have another Jitterbug in my office at work, and confirmed that the Incline speakers in that setup won't be seen if used with a different dock, the hub (in a Mac Thunderbolt display), a Jitterbug, and the speakers. But running a 1.5m Pangea USB Premier SE or generic cable directly from the speakers to a Jitterbug in the dock works fine.

The combined effects of the Pangea cable and Jitterbug on the HA-1 line was surprising. It seems stronger, quieter, and clearer than when I had a Belkin Gold cable on the same run.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #309 of 358
Got another Jitterbug. It works nicely in my second rig as well. It's improved the Emotiva DC-1's USB input by a decent margin. Darker background, tighter sound, and a more 3D liquid soundstage on the midfields.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #310 of 358
Played around today with a Jitterbug, my hifimediy usb isolator, my pc and my odac/o2 . First things first the jitterbug and the odac are incompatible. Plug on into the other and it either doesn't show up or causes massive distortion. Put the hifimediy usb isolator between the two though and it works fine. First up, powered directly from my pc music had a sharp coarseness to it. Probably not something you would notice if you didn't have something to compare it to but it was there. With the hifimediy usb isolator the coarseness was completely removed (smooth all the way) but a slight artificiality was introduced. The Jitterbug and the hifimediy usb isolator combo yielded the best results with the coarseness removed and no sign of the artificiality introduced by the hifimediy usb isolator on its own.

Oh and I got the best results by just plugging the odac into the powered hub on my computer monitor. Live and learn.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #311 of 358
Got the JB, tried it on my laptop, PC and smartphone and did not hear ANY difference in ANY configuration.

Hardware/configurations I used:
- Always with Dragonfly Black
- A pair of Grado SR60i's
- A pair of AKG K181DJ UE
- W10 Foobar 2K on laptop with relatively good sound hardware and a generic, old PC with crappy motherboard
- Android Foobar 2K
- A variety of music from all genres and lossy/lossless sources etc.

so: Device > JB > Dragonfly > Headphones

I did also try the JB in a separate USB port on my laptop/PC but this also did not affect the sound audibly. The difference between the standard analog outputs of my devices and the Dragonfly Black was always very clear in any configuration. So my ears have that going for them.

I'm happy most people here seem to be getting some benefit of the JB, but it smells so much like a scam to me. The digital noise they speak of at Audioquest, I can't think of a way for it to exist. If bits would be arriving in the wrong order or with the wrong timing over the USB, at frequencies that would cause any audible artifacts when converting to analog, you would have continuous errors when transferring files or when doing anything else via USB. I believe the sole reason USB can exist and be successful is because those kind of errors are extremely rare; they certainly don't happen at frequencies that would cause large portions of the spectrum to change characteristics. To cause audible artifacts in the range people are reporting most here (bass, mid..), say between 20-400 Hz or so, then there would need to be misplaced or misinterpreted bits reaching the Dragonfly at those frequencies at the bare minimum if we assume bitstream coded audio (I actually don't know if that's the case). That seems like a whole lot to me and not in line with the USB specifications at all. Also, single bit errors contain by definition a lot of high-frequency components since they are white noise (again assuming bitstream audio) but nobody is reporting on increased clarity at the highest treble range. If the audio is still somehow encoded before reaching the Dragonfly (not bitstream) then single bit errors should cause artifacts that are much larger than those of single bits in bitstream audio. Again, this isn't happening so if the Dragonfly does not receive audio as a bitstream but as packets that are still somehow compressed, the bull-meter for the JB would truly go through the roof.

I really feel this is a similar case to those $10.000 HDMI cables that 'improve' the audio and visual quality of movies etc. There's people who swear by those as well and claim they can hear/see the difference..

I don't notice ANY difference and Audioquest's explanation for how the Jitterbug should work seems pretty nonsensical to me so unless any of you can come up with an ACTUAL explanation as to how it might work I think it's safe to say it's a scam or all my equipment is somehow the greatest.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #312 of 358
I used to use a powered usb hub, with the jitterbug plugged into it, then my Cyberdrive feather dac into it. It was always messing up the sound. So, now I plug the jitterbug into a front USB port on the computer and the Cyberdrive into it. It smooths out the highs a touch.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #313 of 358
I just got mine in the mail today, bought it with the goal of reducing my PC's processing noises. While it reduced them, it certainly didn't eliminate them. I'll hold onto it for when I can afford a Regen though. For now I'll use a SPDIF cable.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #314 of 358
The Jitterbug reduces driver latency. I have no idea why, have no idea how a passive low-pass filter is doing it but I've tried it with three dacs and LatencyMon showed reduction in each. Its tiny, not enough to make any audible difference but its there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back