Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
Dec 29, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #271 of 358
I have been using the Jitterbug from my iMac via USB into the Chord Mojo DAC for audio. It does clean up the sound noticeably. Audioquest suggest trying another Jitterbug in parallel for possible further improvement, but clearly state on the brochure not to have more than two Jitterbugs connected.

However i am experimenting and trying optical out into the Mojo to minimise any possible RFI/EMC interferences.

I still have USB from my iMac Computer to the Chord Mojo purely for powering it. My question is should I still use the Jiiterbug as am only powering via USB and not sending audio via USB?

No, it won't matter because the USB power goes to the battery first and the Mojo then draws power from the battery.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #272 of 358
adding jitterbug to low powered devices like phones caused the attached dac to be it recognized by Uapp app so I am not able to use it with phones. anybody having same experience ? with laptop and tab it works perfectly and improves the depth and imaging

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #273 of 358
adding jitterbug to low powered devices like phones caused the attached dac to be it recognized by Uapp app so I am not able to use it with phones. anybody having same experience ? with laptop and tab it works perfectly and improves the depth and imaging

hmm, which phone?  It works fine with my iPhone 6S+.  

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #275 of 358
Fiesty thread. A while back I picked up a couple of jitterbugs to try out. iMac 5k to TT via AUDIOQUEST diamond to gsx mk2 via dhc chaparone 3 xlr to hd800S via dhc prion 4. After a/b I noticed 1. jitter did just about cease. It wasn't bad before but occasional annoying. 2. The sq did change slightly less hollow and slightly deeper. The system was is wonderful. I chose jitter cause I have two systems out of my Mac and don't want any power separate boxes, plus they are cheap and small. My desk is full.
Second system is from same iMac 5k fostex hpa8 via oyaide 5s continental to full Lawton mod la900. I actually noticed the sq difference a bit more in this chain but it is subtle.

Conclusion you got to check it out as I beleive the vfm is worth it, but whether you like this deeper smoothing effect or not is individual. In my systems which are quite transparent, it is favourable.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #276 of 358
It messes with the soundstage. I played with one trying to sort a USB ground loop. It didn't help and made no measurable difference in RMAA but on repeated listening I heard what its doing. It is changing the "shape" of the soundstage some instruments seemed closer, vocals seems closer other things seem further away ect. I don't know if I'd call it better but it certainly is different.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #277 of 358
Question, has anyone used the Jitterbug in conjunction with a ADUM4160 based USB isolator? Unlike the jtterbug the ADUM4160 unit I bought actually broke my ground loop but I wonder if there would be any extra gains from plugging a Jitterbug into it. Actually would you plug the Jitterbug into the ADUM4160 or the ADUM4160 into the Jitterbug?

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #278 of 358
  Question, has anyone used the Jitterbug in conjunction with a ADUM4160 based USB isolator? Unlike the jtterbug the ADUM4160 unit I bought actually broke my ground loop but I wonder if there would be any extra gains from plugging a Jitterbug into it. Actually would you plug the Jitterbug into the ADUM4160 or the ADUM4160 into the Jitterbug?

I have no idea, even after reading their site, what adum4160 is supposed to do that has to do with SQ. However set that aside, the jitterbug gets plugged into your iMac or whatever first. Not more than two per computer regardless of number of available slots. Im not sure if you would want to double down on a jitterbug, to effect sound that is effecting sound. But seeing how this can effect transmission id pick your weapon and go with that. IMO and all that

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #279 of 358

I've got a situation that baffles me. I'm using the Jitterbug in this setup: iPhone 6s Plus to camera connector to Jitterbug to powered USB hub to Fiio Andes to Etymotic ER4s, and it's giving me the best sound I've ever had with headphones. The difference with the JItterbug in the system compared to taking it out is extraordinary. I'm hearing everything that people note: huge, natural soundstage; smooth, warm almost analog tone; musical flow; pace; and clarity. But really what stands out is how it makes me feel listening to music. Virtually anything--even albums I wrote off years ago--makes me engaged, emotionally invested, and wanting to listen more. And that's with Apple Music!

But here's the baffling part: if I plug the Jitterbug into my 2013 MacBook Pro and take it out to the Fiio Andes into the ER4s, I get none of those benefits, or at least very little of them, even when I'm listening to full-res files with Audirvana Plus. My understanding is that using the camera with the iPhone cuts out the phone's DAC, giving me just the raw digital information. So I would expect the result with the MacBook pro to be equivalent.

Any guesses as to why I'm getting such spectacular results with the iPhone and such different results with the MacBook Pro?

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #281 of 358
Tested one out today with my new Odac/O2 combo. This time around I swear it made things worse, it coloured the odacs sound and again messed with the soundstage. Then again this might all be my imagination. There needs to be blind testing done on this thing by someone. Either it does something or it doesn't. I feel like we are all doing the audio equivalent of tea-leaf reading here.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #282 of 358
Tested one out today with my new Odac/O2 combo. This time around I swear it made things worse, it coloured the odacs sound and again messed with the soundstage. Then again this might all be my imagination. There needs to be blind testing done on this thing by someone. Either it does something or it doesn't. I feel like we are all doing the audio equivalent of tea-leaf reading here.
I feel you're setting yourself up for a community service there :wink:

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #283 of 358
I think you found it does do something, but didnt like the result this time around. I did on the otherhand, but will a/b again. I did find that using two jitterbugs is the max per system. Even if you straight up usb a third input.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #284 of 358
Giving the Jitterbug a go in both my iMac Audirvana setup outputting via USB to my DAC, and in front of a flash drive and a WD portable flash drive that's connected to the Bryston BDP-1 player that outputs to the DAC via AES. Anything I should know?

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #285 of 358
When I acquired the Jitterbug, I actually found that in my configuration of the time, it brought an improvement with my PC, my Oppo BDP-103D and my smartphone connected with my DAC Chord: Mojo and Dave .
Since then, I have changed PC, hard drive and I use another driver in foobar2000, the ASIO2. I meanwhile offered a Jitterbug to my friend, DAC user, OPPO HA-1.
We are now convinced that the Jitterbug still offers an improvement but mainly with hard drives with motor and some USB keys.
However, in cases where there are no problems to which it brings a solution, I would discourage its use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back