Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
Apr 7, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #286 of 358
Right I'm using jitterbug this morning, or had been along with the fostex hp-a8. My initial impression was that it created a more weighty sound which I guess it has but at the cost of detail and transparency I feel. It's a tough one as I'm using with the he-400i and feel it slightly lessens some of the tendency for peaky sounding treble,in generall terms adding some warmth to the sound signature I feel. With this setup I don't think it's preferable as the basic sound signature of the hp-a8 is altered, taking away definition to me.
I have been using jitterbug with Meridian explorer 2 also and I think it's of more use in this application but need to check it out some more to be sure.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #287 of 358
Not sure why there is so much skepticism from quite a few posters here (after all it has been warmly received
from just about all of the top review sites, including What HiFi!) - I love the JB and use it with
iPod touch/Mojo as well as from MacBook Pro.....for me there is more weight and solidity to the sound,
giving it a more believable, natural and addictive quality. Highly recommended in a highly resolving
and well matched setup, give it a try!

....and return it if it doesn't work out!

note I do use a bit of eq tailored to my Grado's so slight changes in tonality isn't an issue.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #288 of 358
  Not sure why there is so much skepticism from quite a few posters here ....for me there is more weight and solidity to the sound ...

Maybe because the JB isn't actually carrying any sound?

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #290 of 358
  [1] it's supposed to reduce the effects of digital noise,
[2] like wiping a dusty window clean.
[3] That's also what it sounds like to me.

1. There's three problems with this statement: Firstly, I don't know where you got the "it's supposed to" from? AQ themselves do not make the claim of reducing digital noise! They claim it reduces RF/EM noise and that it measurably reduces jitter. Secondly, there is no way of reducing digital noise and Lastly, RF/EM noise does not affect digital data and even a cheap DACs and other components should maintain jitter noise well below audible levels.

2. No, it's more like cleaning a virtually perfectly clean window of a few rogue molecules.

3. There's only two possibilities: 1. You have a faulty or very poorly designed bit of equipment in your chain, which effectively cannot manage the USB specifications, or 2. Your brain is fooling you into believing that you can hear the equivalent of a few rogue molecules.

G

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #291 of 358
1. There's three problems with this statement: Firstly, I don't know where you got the "it's supposed to" from? AQ themselves do not make the claim of reducing digital noise! They claim it reduces RF/EM noise and that it measurably reduces jitter. Secondly, there is no way of reducing digital noise and Lastly, RF/EM noise does not affect digital data and even a cheap DACs and other components should maintain jitter noise well below audible levels.

2. No, it's more like cleaning a virtually perfectly clean window of a few rogue molecules.

3. There's only two possibilities: 1. You have a faulty or very poorly designed bit of equipment in your chain, which effectively cannot manage the USB specifications, or 2. Your brain is fooling you into believing that you can hear the equivalent of a few rogue molecules.

G

Ouch ha.

I have one and im not convinced by it. It seems to take away any magic that might have been in the fostex hp-a8. Noticeable on intamacy, soundstage and micro detail mainly.
My dacmagic xs and Meridian E2 are not with me but I'll have em back this week to see if I feel the effects the same or if it is indeed a improvement. I'll talk it up and sell it to someone at work if I don't like it:grinning:

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #292 of 358

G

Ouch ha.

I have one and im not convinced by it. It seems to take away any magic that might have been in the fostex hp-a8. Noticeable on intamacy, soundstage and micro detail mainly.
My dacmagic xs and Meridian E2 are not with me but I'll have em back this week to see if I feel the effects the same or if it is indeed a improvement. I'll talk it up and sell it to someone at work if I don't like it:grinning:

Funny I have a8 for my la900 and actually noticed a nice change. I'll have to A/B that again after listening for 6 months.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #293 of 358
In the month that I've had it, I did notice that its sound changed in the first 2-3 days. It was initially dark sounding. After the first week, the sound has been stable. I've found that the Jitterbug in different applications and gear will make different sonic changes or little changes. For example, I used the Jitterbug in three places:

1) At the iMac's USB output when feeding to my DAC's (Dangerous Source) USB input.

2) Connected to Bryston BDP-1's USB input being fed by a Western Digital 2TB portable hard drive (5400 rpm)..it's 2 years old

3) Connected to Bryston BDP-1's USB input being fed by a 128 GB PNY Turbo flash drive.

The BDP-1 outputs to my DAC via AES to AES.

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #296 of 358
pulled the jitterbug from TT gsx mk2 combo, liking it pure.. then again different genres different results, i dunno

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #297 of 358
Here is another question. When using a powered hub with the Jitterbug would you plug the hub into the jitterbug or the jitterbug into the hub?

Had some sound loss problems when the JitterBug was plugged into the hub... switched it around (hub plugged into the JitterBug) and I haven't experienced any sound loss since. My audio signal path:

PC > AQ JitterBug > UGREEN USB Hub > AQ DragonFly Black > Headphones

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/n...-red-discussion.805832/page-221#post-13490374

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #298 of 358
this is actually pretty amazing and has applications outside of audio.... I'm a bit of a sim racer and a lot of the high end equiptment for wheels and pedals suffer issues related to noise. This could help clean things up!

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #299 of 358
The jitterbug is back in use for me!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back