New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 11, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #3,302 of 5,077
According to John Darko's website, the "DragonFly-related MQA update is at last scheduled to arrive next week, Wednesday 17th, just in time for Munich High-End 2017. As before, this announcement comes from MQA’s press department and not AudioQuest’s."

May 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,308 of 5,077
Not sure how CCK with its huge ass connector suppose to fit into iphones lightning port. Or maybe I googled wrong?
There are 3 versions of the CCK. You probably googled the CCK 1.

May 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,310 of 5,077
With the helpful assistance of @waflet I finally determined the ultimate culprit causing my sound to turn off (although my DragonFly Black's LED remained on, lit 'green'):

AQ JitterBug and UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub don't play nicely with one another when the JitterBug is plugged into the hub and I am using YouTube in Chrome and/or FooBar2K.

Plug my JitterBug straight into my PC, no problems...
Plug-in my DragonFly Black into the hub/PC alone (without the JitterBug), no problems...
Plug the hub into the JitterBug which is then plugged into the PC, still no problems... go figure?!

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,311 of 5,077
hi, I got a dragonfly black 1.5 today, on my galaxy S7 plugged in via the dragontail USB cable and using UAPP, I get quite a lot of hissing / background noise, it hisses on everything not just UAPP, in the reviews it said this DAC / amp was silent, but it has more hiss than just using the S7 headphone port, with IE80 there is a lot of hiss, with se215 there is some hissing, with over ear headphones there is no hissing, but is this normal for the dragonfly black? or is mine faulty?

Other than the hissing it sounds good. but the hissing / background noise is a bit irritating as I was expecting it to be silent from what reviews said. To be fair it is pretty much silent with my SRH1540 and THX00, but with the IE80 and SE215 IEMS, it has obvious hissing. Cannot hear it over music except for quiet parts, but can you tell me if this is faulty? or normal? It does sound pretty damn good with the IE80, except for the hissing... I would be happy with it, if it did not have the background noise.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #3,312 of 5,077
I don't own the Black do I can speak with certainty, but I do own the red. I 98% listen yo full size cans, but the couple times I plugged in my Shure SE530, there was ZERO noise. Perhaps you do have a faulty dac.

May 15, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #3,313 of 5,077
hi, I got a dragonfly black 1.5 today, on my galaxy S7 plugged in via the dragontail USB cable and using UAPP, I get quite a lot of hissing / background noise, it hisses on everything not just UAPP, in the reviews it said this DAC / amp was silent, but it has more hiss than just using the S7 headphone port, with IE80 there is a lot of hiss, with se215 there is some hissing, with over ear headphones there is no hissing, but is this normal for the dragonfly black? or is mine faulty?

Other than the hissing it sounds good. but the hissing / background noise is a bit irritating as I was expecting it to be silent from what reviews said. To be fair it is pretty much silent with my SRH1540 and THX00, but with the IE80 and SE215 IEMS, it has obvious hissing. Cannot hear it over music except for quiet parts, but can you tell me if this is faulty? or normal? It does sound pretty damn good with the IE80, except for the hissing... I would be happy with it, if it did not have the background noise.

Have your tried it with a computer rather than the Android phone? When you use UAPP have you got it set to bitperfect and using the hardware volume to control the volume?

I find that with 16Ohm IEMs if I use the default internal hardware volume setting and control volume using the Android volume controls I will get hissing; if I set the Android volume to 100% and control the volume at a hardware level on the DFB there is no hissing. On Windows where all volume is done at a hardware level I don't get the hissing. With my 16Ohm IEM and the S7 I have the Android volume set to 100% and the DFB hardware volume set at 5%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back