Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
May 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #316 of 358
Got the JB, tried it on my laptop, PC and smartphone and did not hear ANY difference in ANY configuration.

Hardware/configurations I used:
- Always with Dragonfly Black
- A pair of Grado SR60i's
- A pair of AKG K181DJ UE
- W10 Foobar 2K on laptop with relatively good sound hardware and a generic, old PC with crappy motherboard
- Android Foobar 2K
- A variety of music from all genres and lossy/lossless sources etc.

so: Device > JB > Dragonfly > Headphones

I did also try the JB in a separate USB port on my laptop/PC but this also did not affect the sound audibly. The difference between the standard analog outputs of my devices and the Dragonfly Black was always very clear in any configuration. So my ears have that going for them.

I'm happy most people here seem to be getting some benefit of the JB, but it smells so much like a scam to me. The digital noise they speak of at Audioquest, I can't think of a way for it to exist. If bits would be arriving in the wrong order or with the wrong timing over the USB, at frequencies that would cause any audible artifacts when converting to analog, you would have continuous errors when transferring files or when doing anything else via USB. I believe the sole reason USB can exist and be successful is because those kind of errors are extremely rare; they certainly don't happen at frequencies that would cause large portions of the spectrum to change characteristics. To cause audible artifacts in the range people are reporting most here (bass, mid..), say between 20-400 Hz or so, then there would need to be misplaced or misinterpreted bits reaching the Dragonfly at those frequencies at the bare minimum if we assume bitstream coded audio (I actually don't know if that's the case). That seems like a whole lot to me and not in line with the USB specifications at all. Also, single bit errors contain by definition a lot of high-frequency components since they are white noise (again assuming bitstream audio) but nobody is reporting on increased clarity at the highest treble range. If the audio is still somehow encoded before reaching the Dragonfly (not bitstream) then single bit errors should cause artifacts that are much larger than those of single bits in bitstream audio. Again, this isn't happening so if the Dragonfly does not receive audio as a bitstream but as packets that are still somehow compressed, the bull****-meter for the JB would truly go through the roof.

I really feel this is a similar case to those $10.000 HDMI cables that 'improve' the audio and visual quality of movies etc. There's people who swear by those as well and claim they can hear/see the difference..

I don't notice ANY difference and Audioquest's explanation for how the Jitterbug should work seems pretty nonsensical to me so unless any of you can come up with an ACTUAL explanation as to how it might work I think it's safe to say it's a scam or all my equipment is somehow the greatest.
You might hear a difference if you used a dac capable of providing a noise floor difference when supplied with a better or cleaner signal. Honestly I found it makes a difference , sure it might be subtle but I use linear power for my computer my Nas and even my router. It is placed in front of my Regen and until I upgrade that, that's where it will stay.

May 15, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #317 of 358
My setup is iPhone 6S -> CCK -> Jitterbug -> DFR -> IEMs

Makes the bass tighter, mids become more forward and treble more present. It definitely improves the detail and removes some congestion for me, and I notice it more on the laptop.

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #318 of 358
Hi,

There is something similar to the Jitterbug for the optical output?

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #320 of 358
There's no electrical noise on an optical output, unless I'm missing something.

My ears notice that JB makes an highs roll-off in my chain for the USB output, I'm searching something like that for the optical, also another thing :)

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #322 of 358
What do you mean with roll-off exactly?

It's early to be sure but, after I introduced the Jitterbut between SOURCE and DAC, I had the highs of the music to be more recessed, more dynamics and better mids. I can't swear but the piano notes are more bodier and the cymbals are less harsh. The negative side is that some music sound more "dead".
I'm looking something like that for my other source that is an Android TV and it's output via OPTICAL then to the DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #323 of 358
I agree with above post. Dynamics, punch, 3d placement improve, but it suck a lot of energy from upper mids and highs. Lot ot information is lost and overall it seems audioquest is not telling full truth... this thing should not change make music less transparent, but it does. It add layer of warmth and at the big expense of transparency. It works like some tube... very strange. Som

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #327 of 358
I was thinking about audioquest Diamond usb cable, but if they add odd coloration... its not for me then.

What USB cable are you using now ? I'm pretty sure the diamond wouldn't color the sound but reveal a bit more.

Then that cable is not for me, I am looking for a treble roll-off.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #328 of 358
ok, guys, enough is enough, if you use a good shielded usb cable it wont trash the usb signal (effecting it by digital jitter). Btw this product is nothing new, as the industry term for this device is called a usb isolator. Its been in existence since 1995. Some usb interfaces build this in since its just a $5 circuit.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #329 of 358
ok, guys, enough is enough, if you use a good shielded usb cable it wont trash the usb signal (effecting it by digital jitter). Btw this product is nothing new, as the industry term for this device is called a usb isolator. Its been in existence since 1995. Some usb interfaces build this in since its just a $5 circuit.

I knew about that but I founs the JB ok for me, with the right shape, elegant enough and I will keep it for the (little) good changes that it does to my chain’s sound.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #330 of 358
I knew about that but I founs the JB ok for me, with the right shape, elegant enough and I will keep it for the (little) good changes that it does to my chain’s sound.
Im gonna use it for movies and gaming cause it make everything more impactfull ha ha. For 50 dollars its very good buy still. Even for purists it can still find its use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back