Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 17, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #2,731 of 3,060

There is no sibilance on my im03. Never have ever. Dont know if there is a variation on the im03s but. I have owned mine ever since they came out. If anything the treble is well controlled.

Sometimes I wonder if guys are using the right sized tips for their ears. I find it stange that i see reports of sibilance.

Interesting that you think this, Dsnuts. While I'd never doubt your experience with the IEM, my own auditions with the IM03 have led me to believe that its treble can be harsh and bright at times. In the end, I went with the IM04 instead - I love its silky smooth mids and its darker tonality (in comparison to the IM03).

Besides personal perception and tolerance, the appearance of those harsh highs also depends on insertion depth, seal, ear canal size and shape, reflections in the ear canal and so on.

May 17, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #2,732 of 3,060

Interesting that you think this, Dsnuts. While I'd never doubt your experience with the IEM, my own auditions with the IM03 have led me to believe that its treble can be harsh and bright at times. In the end, I went with the IM04 instead - I love its silky smooth mids and its darker tonality (in comparison to the IM03).

I believe you as I have read more than a few guys mention the harsh highs on the IM03. On my pair however I have never heard it ever. It is musical smooth full bodied sound and has solid control in the highs. If anything compared to my DN2000Js the highs are somewhat reserved. With the stock cable the IM03 sound a bit warm in tonality as my pair the highs take a step back in the balance a touch. Upgraded cable tightens the bass end but also brings out more detail balancing out the sound and neutralizing the tonality.  It sounds world class with this combo.

I did forget to mention. My pair went through a rigorous burn in period and I only use wide bore JVC spiral dot tips. One issue with AT earphones is they are guilty of using stock in house silicones that don't necessarily give the best sonics to their earphones.  If you guys are serious about opening the sound of your earphones get yourself a box of spiral dot tips and try them out with any earphone you own.

I let a good friend of mine borrow my earphones and lets just say I trust this guys hearing more than anyone else here on the threads.  He had nothing but praise for them as well. This guy hates harsh highs. I know there are different variables on exactly how we all hear things but harsh highs and sibilance is just that. My IM03 is the opposite of this. 

The highs on my pair are smooth clear and extended but never once have I ever heard sibilance on them.

May 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,733 of 3,060
Have you guys ever came across with fake ath-Im0xx? I got my Im02 for really cheap, it was from an online retailer that was included by Audio Technica in their untrustworthy list.

The sound to me is pretty boring but it is detailed. I can tell that it is more emphasizing the mids and highs than lows, in some songs bass is rather anemic. It's my very first IEM so I can't really tell much but one thing I noticed is that the sound quality is very similar(or better) to my Senn HD471 minus the full size headphone characteristics.

I also noticed that it is very sensitive I can hear the hiss even if I am not playing any track.

The build quality and the box it came with is superb, definitely a quality stuff. I watched almost every unboxing of IM02 on youtube and I can say that the contents/packaging it came with is similar to mine

I still paid quite a hefty price but I'm still worried that I got a fake one.

Cheers,

May 18, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,734 of 3,060
Have you guys ever came across with fake ath-Im0xx? I got my Im02 for really cheap, it was from an online retailer that was included by Audio Technica in their untrustworthy list.

The sound to me is pretty boring but it is detailed. I can tell that it is more emphasizing the mids and highs than lows, in some songs bass is rather anemic. It's my very first IEM so I can't really tell much but one thing I noticed is that the sound quality is very similar(or better) to my Senn HD471 minus the full size headphone characteristics.

I also noticed that it is very sensitive I can hear the hiss even if I am not playing any track.

The build quality and the box it came with is superb, definitely a quality stuff. I watched almost every unboxing of IM02 on youtube and I can say that the contents/packaging it came with is similar to mine

Cheers,

EEEto....... how's the build? does the transparency shows the BA driver well? the connectors, does it detach- reattach smoothly? and the memory wire, is it easily malleable? does they really include Comply inside? There's many thing you can check whether it's a fake or not that will be really hard to imitate, and they're usually the tiny details

May 18, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #2,735 of 3,060

Cheers,

Maybe you don't like the signature of im02. It is not for people who love accentuated bass, more for detail lovers. im02 is very sensitive and source dependent. So, that's why you can detect hissing if the source is not good. Try im50 or im70 for more organic sound with emphasized bass.

May 18, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,736 of 3,060
EEEto....... how's the build? does the transparency shows the BA driver well? the connectors, does it detach- reattach smoothly? and the memory wire, is it easily malleable? does they really include Comply inside? There's many thing you can check whether it's a fake or not that will be really hard to imitate, and they're usually the tiny details
Everything is fine as far as l could tell. It feels like a high quality product

May 18, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #2,737 of 3,060
Maybe you don't like the signature of im02. It is not for people who love accentuated bass, more for detail lovers. im02 is very sensitive and source dependent. So, that's why you can detect hissing if the source is not good. Try im50 or im70 for more organic sound with emphasized bass.
Yeah I agree with you. I probably just don't like the signature sound. I have probably set my expectations high coming from my full size headphone experiences.

I am aware its not a bass heavy and some noted that its "analytical" and that's the main reason why l bought the IM02. I have other IEM arriving soon, that is meant for bass

May 19, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #2,738 of 3,060
@hifikid245

To me, it sounds like you got a set of genuine ATH-IM02s but just don't 100% like the balanced/neutral-ish signature. Besides seeing whether you have a perfect air-tight seal (which is crucial for the bass of BA in-ears), you could either try to see whether you will like this non-gimmicky signature over time or get different in-ears.

May 19, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #2,739 of 3,060
@hifikid245

To me, it sounds like you got a set of genuine ATH-IM02s but just don't 100% like the balanced/neutral-ish signature. Besides seeing whether you have a perfect air-tight seal (which is crucial for the bass of BA in-ears), you could either try to see whether you will like this non-gimmicky signature over time or get different in-ears.
I find their sound signature harsh and ear fatiguing even when using the supplied foam tips. However in some songs that are jazzy or songs that are well mastered they work really well. I'll post pictures later for those who want to verify the authenticity of my pair.
Cheers,

May 19, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #2,740 of 3,060
If sound is harsh and the treble strident, it could be that you're using a high impedance source (or don't have a sufficient seal, despite using foam tips), as the IM02's impedance characteristic indicates that treble gets boosted the higher the source device's output impedance is. Honestly, I think you don't have a 100% ideal seal.

What other headphones, in-ears and earbuds do you have/have you heard? What are you using as source device?

May 19, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #2,742 of 3,060
@hifikid245 

Most of the Nokias have got a really high output impedance and are therefore not really suited for multi-driver in-ears with non-flat impedance response. If you get a chance, try to listen to the IM02 with a lower impedance source (all iPhones past the 4th generation, Samsung Galaxy S4, S6, S7, Note 4, Note 6, HTC One M8, HTC 10, LG G5 and V10, all FiiO and iBasso DAPs, all Astell & Kern DAPs, newer gen iPods, Cowon Plenue D).

Btw, what Sennheiser model was it?

May 23, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #2,743 of 3,060
@HiFiChris Currently its a Senn HD471i

After few days of my first write up and assuming what I've got is a genuine ATH-IM02 here are few of my observations:

Just like my first comment, the IM02 is emphasizing the mids and the highs more than the lows.
I say this mainly due to their impressive detail in that area.

-Bass often have less impact and in some songs bass is lacking.

- Mids and highs: I don't really have much to say to be honest.
But one thing I can say is they are very detail.

-Imaging+soundstage; now this part is interesting,
 These are the area that I think where the IM02 is somewhat lacking. I had to focus to the song to notice the soundstage is there.
Now comparing it to my se215, the se215 have quite significantly better combination of Imaging and soundstage than the IM02
(Please se215 and IM02 owners, can you confirm this)

Conclusion: I think for the sound they deliver these are fantastic set of IEM. However, considering the price, the IM02 have a narrow musicality and overall I find them boring to be honest. However these are fantastic when detail is your main objective and that's why I got these are for. But I prefer the se215 when I want to chillax and listen to music. 

May 23, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #2,744 of 3,060
@HiFiChris
 Currently its a Senn HD471i

After few days of my first write up and considering what I've got is a genuine ATH-IM02 here are few of my observations:

Just like my first comment, the IM02 is emphasizing the mids and the highs more than the lows.
I say this mainly due to their impressive detail in that area.

-Bass often have less impact and in some songs bass is lacking.

- Mids and highs: I don't really have much to say to be honest.
But one thing I can say is they are very detail.

-Imaging+soundstage; now this part is interesting,
 These are the area that I think where the IM02 is somewhat lacking. I had to focus to the song to notice the soundstage is there.
Now comparing it to my se215, the se215 have quite significantly better combination of Imaging and soundstage than the IM02
(Please se215 and IM02 owners, can you confirm this)

Conclusion: I think for the sound they deliver these are fantastic set of IEM. However, considering the price, the IM02 have a narrow musicality and overall I find them boring to be honest. However these are fantastic when detail is your main objective and that's what I got these are for. But I prefer the se215 when I want to chillax and listen to music. 

The im03 are musical

May 23, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #2,745 of 3,060
That's why I went with the IM03 instead. Based on the reviews it looked more musical and less analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back