Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 12, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #2,716 of 3,060
Very interested in the IM-03's. Right now I'm using a pair of Hifiman RE-600 with an iBasso DX80. It's a nice, clean sound, and I'm interested in how the IM-03 might compare. I value transparency, accuracy and soundstaging - a pretty "audiophile" presentation, I guess, but maybe with a little more low-end grunt than the RE-600.

I'm also a little wary of pairing the IM-03 with the DX80 since the output impedance of the DX80 is listed as "<0.1 ohm" on the iBasso site and I'm concerned that this might produce undue sibilance with the IM-03, as per Headphonia's review comments on impedance matching.
Eager for your advice!!  
blink.gif

May 13, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,717 of 3,060
Very interested in the IM-03's. Right now I'm using a pair of Hifiman RE-600 with an iBasso DX80. It's a nice, clean sound, and I'm interested in how the IM-03 might compare. I value transparency, accuracy and soundstaging - a pretty "audiophile" presentation, I guess, but maybe with a little more low-end grunt than the RE-600.

I'm also a little wary of pairing the IM-03 with the DX80 since the output impedance of the DX80 is listed as "<0.1 ohm" on the iBasso site and I'm concerned that this might produce undue sibilance with the IM-03, as per Headphonia's review comments on impedance matching.
Eager for your advice!!  :blink:  

I've never heard the RE-600, but I've been running the IM03 out of the DX80 for a week. Your concern about sibilance is well-placed. I tend to be less sensitive to sibilance than others, but it was annoyingly hot with the stock tips, and with the MEE Audio M6 dual-flange tips, at least with some recordings. Pearl Jam's Vitalogy and RHCP's Californication come to mind.

Thankfully I had a pair of FLC8S tips, and that solved the problem for me. The FLC8S tips are on the long side, with a wide bore. With those, I'm really enjoying the combo.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anywhere you can get FLC tips without dropping $350 for the earphones, but I've read from other reviews that Spiral Dots generally tame the sibilance also.

Hope this helps.

May 13, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #2,719 of 3,060
New im02 owner here.After two days of listening, I can definitely say that vocals, female vocals especially,on the im02 are incredible.Smooth with impeccable resolution.I will say though that bass quantity is rather low, even lower than in my msr7's.All in all, if you are looking for an iem that does it all, and produces vocals superbly, the im02 is for you.As an added plus, the im02 offers a high level of isolation

May 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #2,720 of 3,060
I've never heard the RE-600, but I've been running the IM03 out of the DX80 for a week. Your concern about sibilance is well-placed. I tend to be less sensitive to sibilance than others, but it was annoyingly hot with the stock tips, and with the MEE Audio M6 dual-flange tips, at least with some recordings. Pearl Jam's Vitalogy and RHCP's Californication come to mind.

Thankfully I had a pair of FLC8S tips, and that solved the problem for me. The FLC8S tips are on the long side, with a wide bore. With those, I'm really enjoying the combo.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anywhere you can get FLC tips without dropping $350 for the earphones, but I've read from other reviews that Spiral Dots generally tame the sibilance also.

Hope this helps.

It helps a lot. Thanks so much! I am supersensitive to sibilance, so I think going to take a pass on these. ☹️

May 15, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,721 of 3,060
There is no sibilance on my im03. Never have ever. Dont know if there is a variation on the im03s but. I have owned mine ever since they came out. If anything the treble is well controlled.

Sometimes I wonder if guys are using the right sized tips for their ears. I find it stange that i see reports of sibilance.

May 16, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,723 of 3,060
I used it on everything I own including Fiio X1 X3 X3ii, DX90, pono and my portable amps E12A and E11K and Cayin C5.  ICAN, Zero sibilance on all of it. 

If you haven't looked into them I highly suggest an upgraded cable over the stock one that is on the IM03 it brings the IM03 to another level.

May 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2,724 of 3,060
I used it on everything I own including Fiio X1 X3 X3ii, DX90, pono and my portable amps E12A and E11K and Cayin C5.  ICAN, Zero sibilance on all of it. 

If you haven't looked into them I highly suggest an upgraded cable over the stock one that is on the IM03 it brings the IM03 to another level.

Thanks for that.
Any particular cable upgrade you recommend?

May 16, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #2,725 of 3,060
Thanks for that.
Any particular cable upgrade you recommend?

Silver-plated OCC Copper Litz adds a bit more resolution, and increases its smoothness.

This is one I built, and it sounds great.

May 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #2,726 of 3,060
I bought the Audio Technica cable for $100 or so. ATH-HDC5 1.2,  I read a few guys had similar results with an aftermarket silver coated copper cables from luna shops for much cheaper. Can be bought on ebay as well.

Basically more detail on all frequencies and livens up the sound a bit too. Sounds more refined and is clearly audible after the cable upgrade.

May 16, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,727 of 3,060
  I bought the Audio Technica cable for $100 or so. ATH-HDC5 1.2,  I read a few guys had similar results with an aftermarket silver coated copper cables from luna shops for much cheaper. Can be bought on ebay as well.

Basically more detail on all frequencies and livens up the sound a bit too. Sounds more refined and is clearly audible after the cable upgrade.

Wow, I'm new to the contemporary headphone universe - thanks for the reference to Luna Shops... just went poking around there... amazing geek store!  
wink_face.gif

May 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,728 of 3,060
Wow, I'm new to the contemporary headphone universe - thanks for the reference to Luna Shops... just went poking around there... amazing geek store!  :wink_face:

Expect to wait a month for delivery.

May 17, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #2,730 of 3,060
There is no sibilance on my im03. Never have ever. Dont know if there is a variation on the im03s but. I have owned mine ever since they came out. If anything the treble is well controlled.

Sometimes I wonder if guys are using the right sized tips for their ears. I find it stange that i see reports of sibilance.

Interesting that you think this, Dsnuts. While I'd never doubt your experience with the IEM, my own auditions with the IM03 have led me to believe that its treble can be harsh and bright at times. In the end, I went with the IM04 instead - I love its silky smooth mids and its darker tonality (in comparison to the IM03).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back