Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 24, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2,701 of 3,060
lol. The first thing I said when I put them in, was, "Wow. These things are small."

I'm used to the IM03, which is a good bit larger, and the JHA Angie, which is ENORMOUS.

I have the IM03 as well - though it is large it is well designed because the nozzle is shorter so the earphone won't protrudes too far.

I have some big earphones like the xba-a3, fxz200, and the xba-40. But they have way better ergonomics than the im70 and they have no need for tip-rolling. What's good of an earphone if it requires frequent adjustment for right fitting.

But again take my objective opinion with a grain of salt, as comfort is my #1 priority aside of sound. I cannot enjoy it if an earphone is not ear-friendly.

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #2,702 of 3,060
I have the IM03 as well - though it is large it is well designed because the nozzle is shorter so the earphone won't protrudes too far.

I have some big earphones like the xba-a3, fxz200, and the xba-40. But they have way better ergonomics than the im70 and they have no need for tip-rolling. What's good of an earphone if it requires frequent adjustment for right fitting.

But again take my objective opinion with a grain of salt, as comfort is my #1 priority aside of sound. I cannot enjoy it if an earphone is not ear-friendly.

I agree. I rarely use my im50 due to poor fit. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2,703 of 3,060

Quote:
  If he can plug his fist into one of his ears, the IM70 would be suited for him.

The IM70 may look small from internet but it'll protrudes far from one's ears due to long nozzle + thick housing.

For IM x0 users that thinks the nozzle is too long for their ears, E40 is very likely to be a nice upgrade, both in sound and fit

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2,704 of 3,060

I don't know. I used my Father's IM70 for about an hour today. It fit well with the Spiral Dots, which I put on most of my IEMs.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #2,705 of 3,060
I don't know. I used my Father's IM70 for about an hour today.

You'll notice how uncomfortable IM70 can be after a week of use. In a year you'll learn how terrible the IM70 ergonomic is.

Note: I bought my IM70 since 2014.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #2,706 of 3,060
Never had problem with a IM02, actually is quiet comfortable, but the stock tips just not fit well with my ear.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #2,708 of 3,060
  I also have the same problem with you. The stock tips didn't stay in my ears. Might try spiral dot later

I just try with she3590 tips, bass are more punchy and comfort level goes up, but sound more hollow feel like a cheap earphone, I guess I have to try a Spiral dot or Spinfit tips later.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #2,711 of 3,060

You'll notice how uncomfortable IM70 can be after a week of use. In a year you'll learn how terrible the IM70 ergonomic is.

Note: I bought my IM70 since 2014.

Each person ear canal is unique, I've been using my IM50 for more than a year now, after some demo spin fit give the best sig that tame the bass a bit. So far I'm fine with the fit I get from it, It stays in my ear no matter what I do and give no wind  noise whatsoever when riding bike even with it's big build, The long nozzle kinda become a feature for me as I like to just put it a little loose so I can talk to people while listening to some acoustic music. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2,712 of 3,060
  Does anybody know where to get the dampers/filters that are sitting at the end of the IM-03's nozzles? I googled but didn't find anything. Sent an e-mail to Audio Technica but doubt they are going to reply or able to assist as the in-ear has never been officially sold in Europe.

Quoting myself...

As expected, the German customer service was a huge disappointment - they said they'd get in touch with the Japanese AT guys but without any success as it seems. Too bad.

I browsed the web for similarly looking filters and it seems like the white Etymotic Research filters are the same. I'm hoping that Audio Technica really is using Ety filters and no OEM stuff, but I'll hopefully find it out as soon as I have placed my order on the filters (http://etymoticdirect.co.uk/accessories-spares/etymotic-wax-filter2) and was able to do some measurements.

I thought I'd post this info in case someone is ever having similar issues (in my case, the (new!!!) IM03 I imported lacked a filter in the left side).

May 3, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,713 of 3,060

Does anybody know where to get the dampers/filters that are sitting at the end of the IM-03's nozzles? I googled but didn't find anything. Sent an e-mail to Audio Technica but doubt they are going to reply or able to assist as the in-ear has never been officially sold in Europe.

Quoting myself...

As expected, the German customer service was a huge disappointment - they said they'd get in touch with the Japanese AT guys but without any success as it seems. Too bad.

I browsed the web for similarly looking filters and it seems like the white Etymotic Research filters are the same. I'm hoping that Audio Technica really is using Ety filters and no OEM stuff, but I'll hopefully find it out as soon as I have placed my order on the filters (http://etymoticdirect.co.uk/accessories-spares/etymotic-wax-filter2) and was able to do some measurements.

I thought I'd post this info in case someone is ever having similar issues (in my case, the (new!!!) IM03 I imported lacked a filter in the left side).

You cannot imagine how much I am grinning right now. 
biggrin.gif

The white Ety filters I ordered arrived today and I've taken the time to replace the right stock filter and insert one into the empty left tube. For sure, besides visual inspection, I also measured the FR on my Vibro Veritas (about the measurements (external link as it'd take take up too much space to write all that here)). The main question I had was: are the Ety filters identical with the "stock ones"? The answer is yes. They look identical and measure identically as well.

blue = left unfiltered, red = blue filtered

Finally the channel balance in the midrange is given and both sides sound as they should. And now the soundstage as well as imaging are also there - and they're marvellous. That directly put a huge grin on my face when I heard the IM03's soundstage as it should be.
It is a really nice fun sounding in-ear with very good imaging, basically the technically better Triple.Fi 10 with more spatial depth I always secretly desired. Bass and mids sound and measure almost identically with bost in-ears, only in the upper treble, the Triple.Fi 10 is somewhat more sizzling and brighter (the IM03 is not that far behind the Triple.Fi in the treble though and the upper highs are more present than seen on my graph as the in-ears are further away from the eardrum in real life use).

Thanks to @EtyDave for suggesting to check whether the used filters are identical to the Ety ones in terms of size and shape. They are and AT really is using Ety filters as it seems. So if anyone is in need of white replacement filters for their ATH in-ears, the white ones from Etymotic Research (ER38-50MC) are the ones to go. With that info, all of the modders could now also try out the other filters offered by Etymotic Research.

May 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,714 of 3,060
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I'm glad you're discovering the wonders of the IM03. They still impress me, even more so the higher the upgrade ladder I go.

May 3, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #2,715 of 3,060
Yep, I think the value of the IM03 is really good, compared to other triple- and quad-BA in-ears below $500. Such a pity Audio Technica didn't feel like they belong on the European market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back