Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 8, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,672 of 3,060
  I think CKR9 and CKR10 is good alternative to IM series too, I heard that CKR9 Bass is beat that of IM70 while maintain a Clarity of IM02 too.
I not have audition myself thought.

This i can further clarify as I have A-B ed them extensively at a Yodobashi Akiba. 
In the bass department, The CKR9 bass QUALITY is much better than that of the IM70 , The CKR9's bass is tighter,cleaner , faster ,deeper and has crunch and texture to it whereas the IM70 has higher quantities but it is also loose-er and does not have that crunch and texture. 
The CKR-9s win hands down in the treble department.

Edit: The CKR-9s rumbles better too
biggrin.gif

In the treble department I would say the CKR9 sounds almost like the IM02 but it has more weight and power behind the sound causing the Im02 to sound anemic but micro-details are more prominent on the IM02 due to its leaner sound. Bass wise the IM02 loses in both quantity and quality. The Im02 places more emphasis on the midbass (but still less bass than the CKR-9s) whereas the CKR-9s focuses on Subbass and midbass equally.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2,673 of 3,060
The Velvet is the direct step up from the SM64. I haven't read a lot about the S-EM6. It may be the next step after the Velvet.

Don't get too hung up on driver count. It makes less of a difference than you may think, once you go passed 3.

+1 

I have NEVER considered more drivers= better sound quality. This is because i have heard triple drivers trumping 12 drivers in terms of coherance, clarity ,micro-details ,etc.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #2,674 of 3,060
  This i can further clarify as I have A-B ed them extensively at a Yodobashi Akiba. 
In the bass department, The CKR9 bass QUALITY is much better than that of the IM70 , The CKR9's bass is tighter,cleaner , faster ,deeper and has crunch and texture to it whereas the IM70 has higher quantities but it is also loose-er and does not have that crunch and texture. 
The CKR-9s win hands down in the treble department.

Edit: The CKR-9s rumbles better too
biggrin.gif

In the treble department I would say the CKR9 sounds almost like the IM02 but it has more weight and power behind the sound causing the Im02 to sound anemic but micro-details are more prominent on the IM02 due to its leaner sound. Bass wise the IM02 loses in both quantity and quality. The Im02 places more emphasis on the midbass (but still less bass than the CKR-9s) whereas the CKR-9s focuses on Subbass and midbass equally.

You made me want to trade IM02, man...

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #2,675 of 3,060

You made me want to trade IM02, man...

Sorry I guess.........?
redface.gif

I picked the CKR9s over the IM02 as I have always valued SQ more than build quality as long as its not too shabby.
The moment i heard the bass quality and that amazing rumble I immediately decided "No way am I giving up bass like this for just a bit more transparency and detachable cables."

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,676 of 3,060
  Sorry I guess.........?
redface.gif

I picked the CKR9s over the IM02 as I have always valued SQ more than build quality as long as its not too shabby.
The moment i heard the bass quality and that amazing rumble I immediately decided "No way am I giving up bass like this for just a bit more transparency and detachable cables."

See, I told you you'd love those things 
biggrin.gif

That was pretty much my thoughts on the two as well, though I do still love the 02's airy clean sound.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,677 of 3,060
Does anybody know where to get the dampers/filters that are sitting at the end of the IM-03's nozzles? I googled but didn't find anything. Sent an e-mail to Audio Technica but doubt they are going to reply or able to assist as the in-ear has never been officially sold in Europe.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,678 of 3,060
  Does anybody know where to get the dampers/filters that are sitting at the end of the IM-03's nozzles? I googled but didn't find anything. Sent an e-mail to Audio Technica but doubt they are going to reply or able to assist as the in-ear has never been officially sold in Europe.

I doubt you're able to find it, because IM03 are design that way, no filters needed.
If you really need a filter, you have to DIY.

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,679 of 3,060

See, I told you you'd love those things 
biggrin.gif

That was pretty much my thoughts on the two as well, though I do still love the 02's airy clean sound.

Yup, Thanks man!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #2,680 of 3,060
Now im looking at the etymotic ER4s as my next step up.

Maybe I'll buy two Er4s and another CKR9 to get the drivers within and diy my own hybrid IEM to get razor sharp detail and also deep and powerful rumbling bass.
etysmile.gif

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #2,682 of 3,060

This is a review of Lunashops replacement cable for ATH-IMxy series of IEMs.  http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4257

How long did they last for you?

I'm a bad example to ask how long anything headphone related lasts because I constantly review headphones and typically don't use the same pair long enough to get a good "lasting" sense.  One thing for sure, their [Lunashops] cables are definitely quality build, not some DIY ebay stuff.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #2,683 of 3,060
I'm a bad example to ask how long anything headphone related lasts because I constantly review headphones and typically don't use the same pair long enough to get a good "lasting" sense.  One thing for sure, their [Lunashops] cables are definitely quality build, not some DIY ebay stuff.

I had terrible experience with their in-line remote. It went wonky after a few weeks. I also had another cable fail to be delivered, and Lunashop was so difficult to work with, I just gave up on trying to get a replacement.

I just won't buy from them any more.

Plus, now that I make my own cables, I don't have to. :)

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #2,684 of 3,060
I am looking for aftermarket cable for my im04. Any good suggestion within $100? :wink:

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,685 of 3,060
I had terrible experience with their in-line remote. It went wonky after a few weeks. I also had another cable fail to be delivered, and Lunashop was so difficult to work with, I just gave up on trying to get a replacement.

I just won't buy from them any more.

Plus, now that I make my own cables, I don't have to. :)

So I might just get an original replacement from Audio-Technica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back