Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 23, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #2,746 of 3,060

I believe you as I have read more than a few guys mention the harsh highs on the IM03. On my pair however I have never heard it ever. It is musical smooth full bodied sound and has solid control in the highs. If anything compared to my DN2000Js the highs are somewhat reserved. With the stock cable the IM03 sound a bit warm in tonality as my pair the highs take a step back in the balance a touch. Upgraded cable tightens the bass end but also brings out more detail balancing out the sound and neutralizing the tonality.  It sounds world class with this combo.

I did forget to mention. My pair went through a rigorous burn in period and I only use wide bore JVC spiral dot tips. One issue with AT earphones is they are guilty of using stock in house silicones that don't necessarily give the best sonics to their earphones.  If you guys are serious about opening the sound of your earphones get yourself a box of spiral dot tips and try them out with any earphone you own.

I let a good friend of mine borrow my earphones and lets just say I trust this guys hearing more than anyone else here on the threads.  He had nothing but praise for them as well. This guy hates harsh highs. I know there are different variables on exactly how we all hear things but harsh highs and sibilance is just that. My IM03 is the opposite of this. 

The highs on my pair are smooth clear and extended but never once have I ever heard sibilance on them.

Thanks for the tip regarding the JVC Spiral Dots. I'll be sure to ask to try the IM03 with them again in future. In my experiences, the IM03s that I've auditioned were all relatively burned-in pairs, with stock cables and stock tips.

It's a shame that I found the highs on the IM03 a little too strident; I love its otherwise energetic but clear sound. Nevertheless, I defer to your judgement, and I'll be inclined to give them a lengthy audition in the future.

Cheers! 
smile.gif

May 23, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,747 of 3,060
Thanks for the tip regarding the JVC Spiral Dots. I'll be sure to ask to try the IM03 with them again in future. In my experiences, the IM03s that I've auditioned were all relatively burned-in pairs, with stock cables and stock tips.

It's a shame that I found the highs on the IM03 a little too strident; I love its otherwise energetic but clear sound. Nevertheless, I defer to your judgement, and I'll be inclined to give them a lengthy audition in the future.

Cheers! :smile:

I returned my first pair of 03s because of sibilance. Then while I tested the 04, I discovered the Spiral Dots, which smoothed them out even more. They had just the tiniest bit of sibilance before. So when I returned the 04 for being too dark on the X5, I bought the 03s again, just so I could see if they cleared up with Spiral Dots. They did. They are freaking amazing now. The perfect signature for my tastes.

May 23, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #2,748 of 3,060
I am gonna tell every single one of you guys reading this thread. Spiral Dot JVC tips are no joke. It literally makes every earphone I used them on sound better to my ears.  Opens up the dynamics. You can hear how stock tips restrict some of the sonics of what was intended in an earphone. The IM03 is no different. I think the stock tips being much more narrow on the nozzle might push out the treble frequencies more so than the Spiral dots. A wider nozzle tip and the sonics open up including balancing out the treble.

Though there is a caveat. I recently figured out that wider bore tips have a greater effect for guys with large ear canals more so than people with narrow or smaller inner ear canals. I know there are some guys that try out the Spiral Dots and report almost no effect on sound. Again I am certain this has more to do with inner ear differences more than anything.

May 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #2,749 of 3,060
Between Spiral Dots and UE600 tips, I am always set. I only go wide-bore now. Those narrow-bore really do screw with the frequencies and accentuate things like sibilance.

May 23, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,750 of 3,060
does changing the cable on im03 make the headphone sound better?

May 23, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,751 of 3,060
If so, it depends on the conductor used. If it's just regular OFC, then, no, since that's exactly what is used in the stock cables. If it's OCC, or SPC, or Litz, or silver, or gold, then it's at least in the realm of possibility.

Depending on who you ask, the answer is often a resounding No. Others swear by it.

For myself, I can't say one way or another. Sure, I built a beautiful OCC Silver-Plated Copper Litz cable, but I'm not confident it sounds any better. I think it does... maybe... a little. But I wouldn't bet on it. Subjective A/B testing is very difficult with cables.

One thing I can unequivocally promise, my DIY cable is A LOT more comfortable than the stock cable.

May 23, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #2,752 of 3,060
  does changing the cable on im03 make the headphone sound better?

Yup. I use the upgrade cable AT-HDC5/1.2  on my pair.  Would never switch back to the stock cable. More detail all around.  Brings the IM03 to another level imo.

Tried the stock cable after using this cable for a while. IM03 sounds a bit dull and warmer with the stock cable in comparison.

May 24, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,753 of 3,060
  Too bad i dont have any DIY skills............ 
If i did, I would Crack open my current CKR-9s (which supposedly have the best quality bass),take out the Dual Phase Push-Pull 13mm dynamic drivers , make a custom mold, put them in along with the etymotic BAs , make a passive frequency crossover , assign the dual dynamic to frequencies to 1khz and below and the BAs to frequencies above 1khz and boom, you have the best bass and the best(?) treble in ANY IEM.

ditto!!!! 

May 27, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2,756 of 3,060
No I believe you couldn't, it would protude too much thus look silly and will fall off way too easily with nothing supporting it.. Its designed atrictly for cable up then we better wear it that way.

May 30, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #2,758 of 3,060
When I first bought the IM50, I noticed a much more in-your-face-bass . This slowly reduced, the sound becomes less muddy or veiled, & the highs are showing more of their presence. However, the rumbling sub-bass also seems to have departed a fair amount. Is this normal? I've heard of burn-ins but I didnt think it'd have that much of an impact. Also I'm using the same eartips since the day I bought these & I have taken the filters on-off several times. Currently filters are on

May 30, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2,760 of 3,060
When I first bought the IM50, I noticed a much more in-your-face-bass . This slowly reduced, the sound becomes less muddy or veiled, & the highs are showing more of their presence. However, the rumbling sub-bass also seems to have departed a fair amount. Is this normal? I've heard of burn-ins but I didnt think it'd have that much of an impact. Also I'm using the same eartips since the day I bought these & I have taken the filters on-off several times. Currently filters are on
My bet is your brain adjusted to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back