REVIEW: Nuforce NE-7M iPhone IEM vs Denon C700 and Klipsch Image X10 (NE-8 Impressions Added 1/15/09)
Jan 18, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #346 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by DOUGHN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what a nice dad...can i be your adopted son..hehehe

im glad u prefer the NE7 than NE8. thanks for the recommendation of the NE7

-doughn

I AGREE! can you adopt me??!!! LOL dude that's like awesome...to bad i'm the only audiophile in my family... *sigh* for myself i would've chosen the im716. personally myself though.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #348 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by kris33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will Shure Olives work? I live in Norway and the Comply T-400 are way too expensive with the 15$ shipping cost.

NO, shure olives do not fit the sound tube of the nuforce ne-8's. If you want foam, you're going to have to buy Comply. If not, Ultimate Ears sleeves fit the nuforce ne-8 too. And the Klipsch Silicone ones, you just have to try a bit harder.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #349 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by kris33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will Shure Olives work? I live in Norway and the Comply T-400 are way too expensive with the 15$ shipping cost.

Here's a better idea for you.

Buy these JVC Marshmallows from Hong Kong ($5.68 + free shipping), and you can use the tips from these and easily fit them onto the Nuforces like I have done. Although not made of the same quality material as the Olives, they isolate more than the T400's, IMHO. The only downside is that you only get one set of foams.

NEW GENUINE JVC HA-FX33 IN EAR BLACK Earphone Headphone - eBay (item 270299935883 end time Feb-06-09 21:28:04 PST)

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #350 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apparently the T400 fits them, cause people that own the ne-8 use them i've heard. but who knows. i guess they could, it can't be that hard to make the tube slightly smaller or have a different. the problem i found after i tried my friends ne-8 is that, the sound tube isn't long enough. like in your impression, the housing gets in the way and feels really uncomfortable. If the sound tube was like the one on shure's or westones, then that would've been much better as it's long enough to keep the housing away.

They are working on testing a variety of foam tips, to see how various long and short tubes work, and which materials work best. So, we just have to be patient. Jason said people who already bought the NE-8 and have fit problems would likely get a discount once they determine the parameters of the new foam tips.

The stock bi-flange work for me as well because they are longer and reach in to seal, and they don't hurt the sound. Also, there is a way to rotate the NE-8 to get the Complys foam tip in deeper, and that is by pushing on the part over the ear canal opening while tiping the top of the IEM away from the head a few mm. So, the IEM slant inwards from top to bottom

Code:

Code:
[left] \ | <--- side of head IEM \ |______ \-______ <--- inside ear canal outside | |[/left]

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #351 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I AGREE! can you adopt me??!!! LOL dude that's like awesome...to bad i'm the only audiophile in my family... *sigh* for myself i would've chosen the im716. personally myself though.

The de-podded IM716 pretty much suck without an amp, and become a little flat and lifeless. Put them on a good amp and they can really stand out and impress. But, then using them with a Griffin iTalk wont let you use them with the iPhone for phone calls because the amp takes away the mic function. Without an amp, if I drop the impedance in the custom pod to 33 ohm they just barely get along without an amp, and dropping to 22 ohms is more efficient but details, air ambience and space all suffer while bass gets a little sloppy. While the de-podded IM716 improve with an amp, I still prefer the NE-7M without or with an amp.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #352 of 854
Would the NE-7M be a good upgrade from the mylar x3?

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #353 of 854
"I have between 15-20 hours on mine and first impressions are favorable. Bass is solid and fairly well defined (as previously mentioned) and the mids and highs seem to be pretty well balanced. The weak spot for me seems to be a little "fuzzy" imaging with the center image sometimes lacking good definition. Crossfeed on the Corda 2Move helps with this - it's not a huge problem just images a little differently than I'm used to. Overall I'd have to say this is the best balanced IEM that I've owned. The Shure E4C (owned twice) lacked the bass definition and had no sparkle on top but the mids were quite a bit better. My Altec Lansing IM716 (unmodified) sounded a lot more refined in the mids and highs but had very little bass. My JVC Marshmallows, which are boomy and have VERY unrefined highs have been my cheap bridge between various IEMs but I think these NE-7Ms are the best compromise for me. More to follow after they break in."

I've got over 100 hours on my NE-7Ms now and I must say they are very dependant on tips - here is what I've found so far:

Stock Foamies - terrible, just terrible. Sound is very muffled and not balanced ear to ear. Throw these away if you get them.

Stock Medium Tips - Sound good but pretty flimsy and not much isolation. I still think they sound decent.

JVC Marshmallow Tips - Treble is slightly recessed compared to stock tips, a little hollow sounding but not bad.

Shure E2C Medium Tips - Very good, excellent seal, good isolation, tons of bass, slighty less upper frequencies as compared to the stock medium tips. I cut a little length off the tube on these to match the stock tips length and pushed/twisted them down so the opening is the same size and almost flush with the nozzle opening/screen. A little more open sounding on top this way and amazingly I get better isolation. This is my preference.

If anyone has an extra set of Complys for me to try/purchase I'd like to give them a try. I could also swap someone for a set of medium Shure E2C tips if they would like to give them a try.

My observations above have not changed. A very, very good well balanced IEM and a stunning value. I do wish that Nuforce designed some decent tips to go with but overall an excellent headphone. Two thumbs way up!!!

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #356 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicL0ver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone explain which tips are good to get then?
a bit confused.

T400 and shure e2c?

ps. where are the good places to get them @?

Either one (Complys T400 or E2c Silicone tips) is a good choice. Try eBay or Shure or Complys websites.

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #357 of 854
OK, so I have just got back from a weekend trip and to my delight, the T400s I ordered have finally arrived! I have not used anything but the stock foamies, which I thought sounded OK, I was especially enjoying the low end, although the mids seemed a little recessed.

I have just stuck a pair of T400's on, and whilst they have really helped with the detail and mid/high end, I am now getting tighter bass, but there is hardly any bass impact at all, the isolation is also rather reduced.

I found it a bit of a struggle to get the T400s onto the soundtube, especially the second ridge, without deforming the foam to an extent where I felt I may rip or tear them.

My question for those of you who have used this combination, is how close to the gold driver housing have you managed to get the T400's? I have pushed them as far as I dare, but still have a 3mm gap between the rear of the foam tip and the contour at the start of the housing. If you guys are getting them further along the stem, are you using anything such as tweesers?

My olive foamies did not feel as fragile as these T400s, so I gave them a fair amount of abuse on my e3c's and found they worked well, I hope I am just being a little bit precious about my new purchases!

Thanks

Hugh

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #359 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by bor_venin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received these with 10 pair comply tips today. I'll let you know how they fit in a bit hughwi.

1st post!

Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet.

Be sure to run music through them for 3-4 days straight, as it will break them in and improve the sound.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #360 of 854
Thanks, and thanks for the review. I got these IEM's cause of this thread. I was looking at UE super fi 5vi's first until i stumbled on this thread. Really loving them so far! I can't compare them to any other IEM's as these are my first pair but they sound really great right out of the box. I've been burning them in with pink noise for 5 hours now. Probably going to do 50 hour total and I'll just start using them from there. Is this ok? 50 hrs too little?

As for the tips and to get back to hughwi. I have only used the comply tips so far, didn't even bother trying on the stock tips. I find they seal really well. Can't say much about the comfort yet cause these are my first IEM's and my ears still have to get used to the feeling of having something shoved in them
wink.gif
I'm getting the exact same results as hughwi. Meaning I'm only able to get the tips on as far as ~3mm away from the copper housing. So I assume this is the way they should fit. Maybe HeadphoneAddict can share his experience on this matter.

edit: any tips on straightening the cord?

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back