REVIEW: Nuforce NE-7M iPhone IEM vs Denon C700 and Klipsch Image X10 (NE-8 Impressions Added 1/15/09)
Jan 16, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #331 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the NE-7M work with the iPod Classic? Perhaps it even adds audio notes to the new Nanos?

yes it sounded good too unamped though still on burn-in process,

BUT controls DON'T work (pause, next track, repeat track)

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #332 of 854
Regarding the NE-8

Larry, I think your findings are on the money on several fronts:

More than 100 hours of burn in is needed.

The fit is quite tricky. A lot of practice and experimentation with tips is critical. I think the cable guides contribute to the difficulty. I wonder if anyone thinks they could be removed, and how they would work without them?

The only consistent seal I have been able to get is with Comply T400s.
The bass with these is on the lean side, straight from my Sansa Clip (no EQ),
but not a real detractor.

I think a slightly longer Comply tip might help. I feel like I have to jam them pretty far in, and hold for 15 seconds to allow the foam to expand. Even then, a little more length would give a more secure and easier to achieve seal.

Larry, do you think this is along the lines of what Jason is thinking?

I have not yet gottem my Fiio E5, but hope it is a good match for the NE-8s as well. Looking forward to giving this a try.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #333 of 854
I second the findings of Larry the Headphone Addict and Jowens.

Persistence pays off. They needed a longer burn-in than in any other IEM I've had.

The stock tips need work. I thought that Nuforce had foam tips, but they didn't come with mine and request for clarification went unanswered from Nuforce.

The comply tips works OK and I agree that a slightly longer tip would work well.

The trick method that seems to work is to put the tips in loosely for a minute or so. This let's the tip soften up a bit. Then I push in, not straight, but a little up and toward the front. The temptation is to push straight in, but this doesn't work well.

I'm using with the Icon Mobile and a Sansa Fuze. I've found that using the rock eq gives a great sound even though I don't usually use eq.

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #334 of 854
Thanks guys - 3 of us with the same findings about fit and longer burn-in makes me feel better about my findings.

I will discuss the foam tips further with Jason and see what they have in mind, but a slightly longer tip would fit better but don't know how the longer tube would affect the sound. I know Complys made a custom T130 tip for the Phonak Audeo, and maybe a T430 could be made for the NE-8 that is made just for them.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #335 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I push in, not straight, but a little up and toward the front. The temptation is to push straight in, but this doesn't work well.

Good description of the angles!
beerchug.gif
I was already putting my 7m's in at a a bit of an upward angle, but your mention of "toward the front" led me to fiddle around a bit, and this minor modification to the angle definitely helps me insert the phones more easily, resulting in a seal without the negative sensation of pressure I was sometimes getting in my left ear.

Even with Nuforce's prepackaged silicone tips, I will reiterate what numerous others have reported above: HA's review and follow up comments on the 7m are totally accurate. For an entry level option, they offer an extremely pleasing transparent, balanced, and full sound with a realistic amount of detail (as contrasted with the hyper detail of etys). The bass is solid but not bloated, and is proportionate to what one would hear in a live show - be it rock, jazz, or classical. Thanks again for the recommendation HA. These are keepers for me.

Can't wait until my shure tips show up to see if they get even better.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #336 of 854
My 11 year old son is an audiophile and owns Alessandro MS-1 with Millett Starving Student amp, and Stax SR-Lambda with SRD-6SB and SRD-X. Today I had him listen to 8 universal fit IEM with iPhone 3G and his favorite lossless files - Jack Johnson. Here is is ranking that WAS NOT influenced by me in any way. He used whatever silicone or foam tips worked best for his ears.

There was a 3-way tie in 2nd, and a 3-way tied in 4th where he couldn't decide which were better.

1. Westone 3

2. NE-7M
2. NE-8
2. Phonak Audeo

3. C700

4. Z.buds
4. IM716 33 ohm
4. Marshmallows

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1853-iem-listen-8-universal-fit-iem.jpg

I told him he could KEEP ANY ONE PAIR OF IEM except the Westone 3, NE-7M and Phonak. He picked the NE-8 with the stock bi-flange tips, and joyfully ran off to his room with them.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #337 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 11 year old son is an audiophile and owns Alessandro MS-1 with Millett Starving Student amp, and Stax SR-Lambda with SRD-6SB and SRD-X. Today I had him listen to 8 universal fit IEM with iPhone 3G and his favorite lossless files - Jack Johnson. Here is is ranking that WAS NOT influenced by me in any way. He used whatever silicone or foam tips worked best for his ears.

There was a 3-way tie in 2nd, and a 3-way tied in 4th where he couldn't decide which were better.

1. Westone 3

2. NE-7M
2. NE-8
2. Phonak Audeo

3. C700

4. Z.buds
4. IM716 33 ohm
4. Marshmallows

I told him he could KEEP ANY ONE PAIR OF IEM except the Westone 3, NE-7M and Phonak. He picked the NE-8 with the stock bi-flange tips, and joyfully ran off to his room with them.

That's awesome! What a nice dad you are.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #338 of 854
Quote:

1. Westone 3

2. NE-7M
2. NE-8
2. Phonak Audeo

3. C700

4. Z.buds
4. IM716 33 ohm
4. Marshmallows

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1853-iem-listen-8-universal-fit-iem.jpg

what a nice dad...can i be your adopted son..hehehe

im glad u prefer the NE7 than NE8. thanks for the recommendation of the NE7

-doughn

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #339 of 854
I discovered that I got the best bass response when using the stock bi-flange tips, but one of the tips came off and is now lost forever.

I wanted to order some Comply tips after hearing how good they are. What would be the best choice for the NE-8's and the NE-7's? (my friend has the 7's and was wondering the same thing).

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #341 of 854
So I know that the Klipsch X10 bass is far better than that of the Nurforce, but what about in comparsion to the X5? I keep hearing that the X5s bass is less deep and has less impact than that of the X10, so would the sound sig of the NuForce be along the same lines as the sound sig of the X5s?

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #342 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anomaly10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I know that the Klipsch X10 bass is far better than that of the Nurforce, but what about in comparsion to the X5? I keep hearing that the X5s bass is less deep and has less impact than that of the X10, so would the sound sig of the NuForce be along the same lines as the sound sig of the X5s?

I wouldn't say "far better" - there was more of it with X10, but that doesn't make it better. The NE-7M has enough bass for almost all people. I would guess it is along the lines of the X5, from what I have read, and maybe about 3dB less than X10 (but deep).

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #343 of 854
Nub question here:

I recently got my very first pair of IEM (Nuforce NE-7M) thanks to Larry's review (thanks again!) and I have to say I really enjoy them.

Now, the other day I received my Comply T-400 tips. (I had also bought the Shure e2c soft fleex sleeves about a couple weeks earlier, but I've decided I prefer foam tips much more) My question is: inside the hole for the foam tips there's this sort of plastic that gives the tip it's shape I guess? Am I supposed to keep it in? I'm asking because the stock foam tips that came with the 7M's didn't have it so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take it out or not.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #344 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chauie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, the other day I received my Comply T-400 tips...My question is: inside the hole for the foam tips there's this sort of plastic that gives the tip it's shape I guess? Am I supposed to keep it in?

Yeah, it's supposed to stay in.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #345 of 854
Quote:

Thanks guys - 3 of us with the same findings about fit and longer burn-in makes me feel better about my findings.

I will discuss the foam tips further with Jason and see what they have in mind, but a slightly longer tip would fit better but don't know how the longer tube would affect the sound. I know Complys made a custom T130 tip for the Phonak Audeo, and maybe a T430 could be made for the NE-8 that is made just for them.

apparently the T400 fits them, cause people that own the ne-8 use them i've heard. but who knows. i guess they could, it can't be that hard to make the tube slightly smaller or have a different. the problem i found after i tried my friends ne-8 is that, the sound tube isn't long enough. like in your impression, the housing gets in the way and feels really uncomfortable. If the sound tube was like the one on shure's or westones, then that would've been much better as it's long enough to keep the housing away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back