[Review] Nuforce Icon HDP
Jan 24, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #46 of 173
It's not so much limited, its just that I'm not too sure if I'm willing to pay for an AP+DAC that costs more than any pairs of headphones I purchased. THe e7+e9 barely breaks that limit. How could you compare the two amps together? If it's a worthy investment for the Nuforce (Icon HD, I don't need the pre amp) I will consider it.

Quote:
Quote:
Hey soul, have you tried the Fiio E7+E9 combo? I can't decide what my first amp will be.

If you have a limited budget, go for Fiio E7+E9 but if you have a bigger one, absolutely Nuforce Icon HDP. But if I were you I will choose Nuforce HDP. Though I also love my E9.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #49 of 173

Quote:
Quote:
Hey soul, have you tried the Fiio E7+E9 combo? I can't decide what my first amp will be.

Sorry I have not.  I have heard that although the E9/E7 is a good DAC/Amp combo, it isn't as good as the HDP.

The HDP costs twice as much as the E7/E9 combo.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #54 of 173
I've had my HDP for about 3 weeks now, I'm using the coax out from my Xonar Essence ST (since it is supposed to be super low jitter) to the HDP's coax in My problem is that I'm noticing some small hissing with the lower volume levels, it disappears when I turn the volume up a little and when I unplug the coax cable from the HDP. Do all of you guys have the same hissing? Any suggestions?

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #55 of 173

Quote:
I've had my HDP for about 3 weeks now, I'm using the coax out from my Xonar Essence ST (since it is supposed to be super low jitter) to the HDP's coax in My problem is that I'm noticing some small hissing with the lower volume levels, it disappears when I turn the volume up a little and when I unplug the coax cable from the HDP. Do all of you guys have the same hissing? Any suggestions?

Yes.  It's been mentioned before but the sweet-spot is from 11 o'clock-on.  I would recommend setting the volume on your source (PC) to allow for normal listening from 11-on.... hiss, gone.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #56 of 173
Well, that's what I want to avoid. I'll try getting an optical cable and check if that solves the issue. If that doesn't work I'll see what else comes to mind, maybe upgrading the PSU or adding some extra shielding to the sound card. If nothing works, I'll just decrease my source volume. lol

Quote:
Quote:

Yes.  It's been mentioned before but the sweet-spot is from 11 o'clock-on.  I would recommend setting the volume on your source (PC) to allow for normal listening from 11-on.... hiss, gone.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #58 of 173
Vol control on mine is fine.  It's perfectly balanced even at the lowest audible volumes and I have no issues with it.  Can't imagine why it would be a concern. . . . 

Also, I can't hear any hissing on mine, either with my IEMs or my HD650's, unless I turn the volume up past 3 pm (HDP is in vertical pos) and then it's like a faint rushing sound that is only audible if no music is playing.  But I never need to turn it up that loud so that's not a problem either.  But I'm not using the coax in, just the USB.  If only the HD had been available when I got my HDP.  .  .  could have saved some money.  But perhaps those extra inputs will come in handy some day.

But maybe my ears just can't hear those frequencies .  .  .  I know I've lost some higher frequencies with age.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #59 of 173
I had one of the original HDP's from the first batch that I had to send back for volume pot issues.  I never had the volume imbalance issues on the current HDP so it seems like they worked it out a bit.  Also it might help to say that I'm cautious to not move the volume too much on my newer HDP.  Returning was a hassle as it took about a week and a half to get back to me so I make it conscious effort to not stress the volume pot too much. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #60 of 173
Never had any problems with mine, (purchased new in July), they have fixed the problems that existed in early batch models...

Only problem I have with the HDP is that the volume sometimes doesnt go low enough, you have to have the dial @ 9 oclock or higher, I can adjust computer volume but I would just prefer to do it on the HDP, oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back