[Review] Nuforce Icon HDP
Jun 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #167 of 173
  No, if you are not feeding the HDP a digital signal, either through USB or S/PDIF (coaxial or optical), there is nothing to convert.

Thank you for your response.

I have another question: I am using my Macbook Pro as part of my setup. There is a 3.5mm headphone jack which also allows for optical output. If I use the optical cable (TOSLINK) with the mini-adapter to connect the Macbook Pro to the HDP, then will the signal be considered as digital? And if so, will I be able to use the DAC feature of the HDP?

Thanks again.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #168 of 173

Thank you for your response.

I have another question: I am using my Macbook Pro as part of my setup. There is a 3.5mm headphone jack which also allows for optical output. If I use the optical cable (TOSLINK) with the mini-adapter to connect the Macbook Pro to the HDP, then will the signal be considered as digital? And if so, will I be able to use the DAC feature of the HDP?

Thanks again.

Yes, absolutely, that will allow the HDP DAC circuitry to do its thing.  

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #170 of 173
   Yes, absolutely, that will allow the HDP DAC circuitry to do its thing.  

Sorry, another question that's related to the HDP. I bought the Toslink cable with two mini 3.5mm adapters to fit both ends! I turned the knob to D (digital), and configured the settings in the computer so that my Macbook Pro is using the headphone jack as an optical output.

There are different amounts of sampling rates like 24, 96, 88, etc. Which ones should I check? (I'm on Windows 7 Boot Camp by the way)

Are there also other settings that need to be altered?

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #171 of 173
If you don't have a lot of high-rez files, just stick to 16/44.1 and you'll be fine.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #172 of 173
Hey fellas I've got a question, I've been using the HDP for years now but never really paid much attention on the sample rates I've been using or how to fully utilize it's capability (wish I knew now how to from the beginning when I first set it up). For my setup, I connect the HDP to my PC (using win7) through the USB of the device and I use the analog output to connect to my Audioengine A2's speakers and left it with that setup ever since.

How do I know what is the highest sample rate I can use and which sample rate I've been using to play music with through my setup? do I need to configure something on the sound system on the control panel in windows 7 for this? I've read it before that in order to use high-res files like the 192kHz/24-bit I have to use the line in optical and or coaxial part of the HDP device (but I don't know how to use the line in or the coaxial to connect it to my PC). So for my setup have I NOT been utilizing it's capability to play high-res music files?

I really want to be able to play high-res files since I get most of my music from HDtracks with 192kHz/24-bit but don't know if my setup is capable of playing it or am I just hearing a downgraded sound (sorry I don't know the proper term for it) because of the way I set it up.

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #173 of 173
Talk about raising a thread from the dead, this is Frankenstein level resurrection!

I upgraded my computer sound to pair of Vanatoo T Zeroes a few months ago. I love the sound, but two things have cropped up:

1) Would the sound benefit from a stand alone DAC, even a cheap one? The Vanatoo's already have an internal DAC and amp.

2) Also, my wife misses having a headphone jack.

Would the NuForce Icon HDP be a worthwhile piece to use in the middle?

Thanks.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back