REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Jun 11, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #721 of 1,670
Yup. No channel imbalance whatsoever past the 9 o'clock position for me too!

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #722 of 1,670
My imbalance is that untill about 8:40 o'clock or so there's no left channel at all, about 9 o'clock it appears but the balance is moved to right until about 11 o'clock. I've found that it changes with SPL of headphones as at Triple.fi's (SPL - 116dB) it's much more "visible" that with v-JAYS (SPL - 95dB). Oh, and it affects preamp too.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #723 of 1,670
One wonders how many have been experiencing this issue. It defenitely makes me a bit shaky, I had just decided to go buy the HDP tomorrow.

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #725 of 1,670
The solution was actually easier than I thought. I simply had to move the potentiometer for few minutes - now it's as everyone says. It's an awesome DAC, but still, Jason, I'd gladly pay $10 more for it to have a better pot. :wink:

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #726 of 1,670
Well, my pot is imbalanced also at low volumes. I can not listen to my BLOX TM5 earbuds, which are quite sensitive, without additional 75 Ohm adapter.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #727 of 1,670
Found this preview of the HDP, shows the insides

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce14/hdp.html

I just sent my HDP back to Nuforce to get replaced. The audio kept dropping and crackling randomly, and I verified this on several computers so it's definitely the unit itself. I lost all those hours I spent burning in the amp of it , going to start back at square one when the new replacement gets to me
frown.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #728 of 1,670

Quote:
Found this preview of the HDP, shows the insides

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce14/hdp.html

I just sent my HDP back to Nuforce to get replaced. The audio kept dropping and crackling randomly, and I verified this on several computers so it's definitely the unit itself. I lost all those hours I spent burning in the amp of it , going to start back at square one when the new replacement gets to me
frown.gif

When you get it back, even just running it for 3-4 days will get it "close enough", and you can do the rest of the burn in while you enjoy it.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #729 of 1,670
I've been listening to my HDP for a couple of hours(I let it burn in for about 45 hours first) and I really like what I hear (Denon AH-D750 phones)! I think the HDP is great, though i'm not experienced enough to put it in words "audiophile style", nor have I used another proper headphone amp before. I can however hear a huge improvement over various headphone outputs on receivers, computers and my iAudio7 FLAC-player.
happy_face1.gif
The funny thing is just a few minutes ago, while listening to Dark passion play, I thought; this sounds so good I probably don't even need better phones! ...Can't wait getting my ordered LA7000 lite (without the custom cord) phones though!

I did run into a minor problem earlier today when I tried to compare DAC with my Oppo BDP-83SE Nuforce edition. It seems I can't have both stereo RCA (Monster Cable M850i) and Digital Coaxial (Tara Labs Prism) connected at the same time without getting a really loud hissing noise. No matter what input I chose on the HDP, even the USB input. Anyone else  experienced this, or is the fault possibly with my Oppo?
Anyway, connecting and disconnecting cables makes it hopeless for me to compare, especially when the volume using Stereo RCA output is much higher than when using coax connection.

Like others I do hear noise very clearly from the HDP at very low volume levels but it's not a problem for me - nor is the channel discrepancy a problem.

I'm off to a date with my HDP+D750 with fresh coffee, Within Temptation black symphony BD, (96kHz/24bit stereo mode)
atsmile.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #731 of 1,670
There are some times when I compare the HDP headphone amp to the $450 Protector balanced portable, and I think they sound very similar.  Both can also drive IEM or full size phones pretty well (if using balanced output of Protector).  Has anyone else noticed that?

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #732 of 1,670

Quote 6Moons Review: From http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce14/hdp_2.html

The surprise here was the tone/density part of the equation. Particularly the original NuForce stuff always seemed hyper detailed, dry and harmonically bereft to my ears. The HDP transcends this trend nearly wholesale. Such a morphed personality parallels comments on the latest Wilson sound. Warmth and density listeners who found it wanting before now praise it quite unanimously.

While I haven't heard any V3 NuForce to know whether the team has implemented a corporate shift in house sound, the HDP certainly does very much not remind me of the early NuForce sound - except for noise floor. Here the latest li'l black box seems very ambitious to create intense contrast ratio. Gobs of detail we know from NuForce. This dash of embedded but utterly non-fuzzy and focused minor warmth is a new wrinkle. If you take with you just one core impression from this review, I'd have it be this shift of feel or personality.

I am going to take credit for this part, because when I had the prototype HDP I gave Casey some feedback and suggestions; and the resulting changes left the HDP with a warmer and punchier more powerful sound signature.  

tongue_smile.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #733 of 1,670

Quote:

I am going to take credit for this part, because when I had the prototype HDP I gave Casey some feedback and suggestions; and the resulting changes left the HDP with a warmer and punchier more powerful sound signature.  

tongue_smile.gif

I've said this before, but I have to again: You are the Man!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #734 of 1,670
Please take a few minutes to rate Icon HDP on head-fi.org
http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-icon-hdp-high-end-headphone-amp-usb-dac-preamp
You don't really need to write much, just rate it. Thanks for your support.

A lot of people have been wondering when we are going to release the linear PSU for Icon HDP.  Now here's the latest good news:
The linear PSU will include a built-in 24bit/192KHz USB to S/PDIF converter.  We figure that anyone who will buy the converter or PSU for HDP will want both. So why not put them in one box and charge for a good price at $249.
Even if you're just using 24bit/96KHz or lower audio, going through the converter isolate HDP from the computer noise. This plus linear PSU will take HDP's performance to another level up.
Estimated ship date around early August.

High performance USB and various 3.5mm cables will be shipping in July.  Preview page here: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/cable/

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #735 of 1,670
Done!

Good to hear that the linear psu is coming, getting me curious about its performance effect.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a replacement HDP, been missing mine a lot and it's been a week since it left :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back