REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
May 12, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #691 of 1,670
Yes. I do not know how bad resistor may sound, I did not tried bad resistors. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/IMPEDANCE-RESISTANCE-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-6-35MM-PLUG-/300338066075?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ed8b329b
What's the difference between good and bad resistance adapters? Would the sound signature be dramatically altered?

May 17, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #693 of 1,670
Has anyone tried the HDP with Senns HD800? How is the synergy between these 2?

Btw, is this still an ongoing review of the HDP?

May 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #694 of 1,670

Quote:
Has anyone tried the HDP with Senns HD800? How is the synergy between these 2?

Btw, is this still an ongoing review of the HDP?

It works well with the HD800, but the Woo WA6, SRG II or ZDT has a little warmer flavor with better synergy.  The HDP works better with HD800 than the similarly priced DACport or HiFiMan EF5, although the EF5 is better with their HiFiMan HE-5 headphones (and the EF5 is not a good choice with IEM unlike the HDP)  I'd say the review was pretty much done by the end of the second post (ended 4/4/10).  However, I continue to add impressions over time or as I get new gear to compare to it.

May 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #695 of 1,670
Quote:
It works well with the HD800, but the Woo WA6, SRG II or ZDT has a little warmer flavor with better synergy.  The HDP works better with HD800 than the similarly priced DACport or HiFiMan EF5, although the EF5 is better with their HiFiMan HE-5 headphones (and the EF5 is not a good choice with IEM unlike the HDP)  I'd say the review was pretty much done by the end of the second post (ended 4/4/10).  However, I continue to add impressions over time or as I get new gear to compare to it.

That's good to know! I just wanted to know if the HDP had what it takes to properly drive the HD800s. I guess i'll have to look elsewhere in the HD800 impressions thread to get a more concrete idea on what amps might have better synergy with the HD800s. I'll make do with the HDP for now and keep my eyes peeled for a good deal meanwhile. :)

May 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #696 of 1,670

Quote:
That's good to know! I just wanted to know if the HDP had what it takes to properly drive the HD800s. I guess i'll have to look elsewhere in the HD800 impressions thread to get a more concrete idea on what amps might have better synergy with the HD800s. I'll make do with the HDP for now and keep my eyes peeled for a good deal meanwhile. :)

You mentioned that you wanted to know if HDP had what it takes to "properly drive" the HD800.  The HDP can drive them in terms of power easily, with more power than my Amphora which I accidentally left off the list of HD800 amp synergy.  The HDP is not bad with my re-cabled HD800, being better than other "similarly priced" desktop and portable amps that I have tried.  

It's mostly a synergy issue because the HD800 are very picky.  While I can enjoy the HDP/HD800 combo just fine if it was my only amp, I'm just very lucky to have better ones available (although at a much higher cost than HDP).  The HD800 are very demanding and very revealing, and I don't spend much time doing serious listening with them using anything but the PWD DAC > EC ZDT amp, which is a rig costing over 10x more than the HDP.  

So, if your budget is in that $400-500 range the HDP is one of the 1st amps I'd recommend for HD800, followed by either a Travagans Red with opa627 opamps or a tube rolled EF5 (Mullard or Bugle Boy12AU7).  I'd recommend that since you already have the HDP that maybe you'll want to try the combo before you judge it to be a poor match, and then look at other amps after that.  

May 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #697 of 1,670
Quote:
You mentioned that you wanted to know if HDP had what it takes to "properly drive" the HD800.  The HDP can drive them in terms of power easily, with more power than my Amphora which I accidentally left off the list of HD800 amp synergy.  The HDP is not bad with my re-cabled HD800, being better than other "similarly priced" desktop and portable amps that I have tried.  

It's mostly a synergy issue because the HD800 are very picky.  While I can enjoy the HDP/HD800 combo just fine if it was my only amp, I'm just very lucky to have better ones available (although at a much higher cost than HDP).  The HD800 are very demanding and very revealing, and I don't spend much time doing serious listening with them using anything but the PWD DAC > EC ZDT amp, which is a rig costing over 10x more than the HDP.  

So, if your budget is in that $400-500 range the HDP is one of the 1st amps I'd recommend for HD800, followed by either a Travagans Red with opa627 opamps or a tube rolled EF5 (Mullard or Bugle Boy12AU7).  I'd recommend that since you already have the HDP that maybe you'll want to try the combo before you judge it to be a poor match, and then look at other amps after that.  

Yup! That's exactly what i intend to do. I don't see myself upgrading my amp/dac anytime soon since i'll be mobile for the next year or so and the HDP is the perfect size for a transportable desktop rig. And i'm pretty new to this hobby so i wouldn't know better until i attend a meet or audition other gear.

That's probably one of the curse of having other rigs easily available. Too many choices and too much synergy issues. I'm contented for now to severely limited by my budget and to just enjoy what i have!

Thanks for the advice thus far! :)

May 19, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #698 of 1,670
here's a good question: where do you put your HDP? The white rubber stand is ugly as all hell, but it's almost a bit too small to lay sideways, plus then it starts sliding everywhere....

May 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #699 of 1,670
Quote:
here's a good question: where do you put your HDP? The white rubber stand is ugly as all hell, but it's almost a bit too small to lay sideways, plus then it starts sliding everywhere....

Hah! I actually think the white rubber stand is fine, aesthetically speaking that is. So i'm using it upright. It's definitely a more elegant solution than when i had my D4 and place it on its belly over some cloth to prevent any scratches. No issues for me!

May 19, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #700 of 1,670
I use the HDP standing upright in the silicone stand, and it's fairly stable, stays put, and doesn't use up a lot of space or fall over.  I keep switching between using it as a solid state amp in my main rig while I wait for the tubes to warm up, or as a DAC to my ALO Amphora, and in both locations it needs to have that small footprint.

May 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #701 of 1,670
Hello,

I need a DAC/KHV around 400€, and the Nuforce HDP seems to be the perfect solution. But I have some questions:

- I want to connect my Integrated Amplifier, and don't need any preamp. Do I lose quality by having no LineOut and the signal being influenced by the volume control?
- I need the DAC for movies, too. Is there any time delay? 
- how works the KHV with a Sennheiser HD650 and Ultimate Triple.Fi 10 ? 

Thank you :)

May 21, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #702 of 1,670

Hello,

I need a DAC/KHV around 400€, and the Nuforce HDP seems to be the perfect solution. But I have some questions:

- I want to connect my Integrated Amplifier, and don't need any preamp. Do I lose quality by having no LineOut and the signal being influenced by the volume control?

- I need the DAC for movies, too. Is there any time delay? 

- how works the KHV with a Sennheiser HD650 and Ultimate Triple.Fi 10 ? 

Thank you :)

I have no idea what effect the volume knob has on the sound quality of the preamp out. I don't hear a time delay, and it works nicely with HD600 and Triple.fi 10 pro. I don't have HD650 to try.

May 22, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #704 of 1,670
Listened to the HDP today, wasn't super happy with the amp. The source was an insanely expensive cd-player ($18000) and then analogue cables and HD650 - so I only listened to the amp part in the HDP. I was expecting a huge difference to my D4 Mamba, but that didn't happen. I have been experiencing a sort of sharp and unpleasant sound with my HD650 and D4 (as dac/amp) and that's the reason I want to replace the D4. I'm now thinking that it's my HD650 I should replace. But - I will return to the audio store next week and bring a laptop to really be able to compare the dac/amp part of both HDP and D4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back