REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
May 24, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #706 of 1,670
Any online store that ships this little marvel world wide? thanks!

May 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #707 of 1,670
Try https://www.audioaffair.co.uk
If you find a cheaper store, let me know
smile_phones.gif

May 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #708 of 1,670
Thanks but wow at that price, I don`t think anybody is ordering from there
L3000.gif

May 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #709 of 1,670

Hi HeadphoneAddict,

Can you please elaborate how close are the HDP amp to that of TWAG balanced+Protector? Is it intensive A-B comparison close / pay attention close / clearly noticeable but still close?

FYI, just ordered the JH13+HDP and looking at Protector+TWAG for synergy. The TWAG was regarded as a huge improvement to the stock cable and the Protector was said to offer minor refinement to the sound. I was under the impression the combination will be well worth the additional $775 investment for the $1100 custom. Now, if diminishing returns kicks in and the extra 70% money does not bring it to a whole new level / sounds like a different beast / JH13 on steroids etc, I like to save some money, for later. 
wink.gif

ps. may proceed with TWAG though as it seems to be worth the 30% price-for-performance. Can someone comment on the SE TWAG or thinks otherwise?

Quote:
Quote:

[size=inherit]
Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think one of the biggest upsides with the HDP is that it's very transportable, for sure. It's very small, and the included power supply is on the small side as well... it's definitely very travel friendly. I probably couldn't think of another transportable all-in solution that would match HDP in terms of performance and functionality... perhaps a few portable DAC/amp solutions (D10, D4, Pico, etc), but if you have harder to drive headphones then I have no doubts that HDP would easily outperform those.
[/size]

I've spent a while with the larger 45 watt PSU and I have to say the smaller stock PSU seems to be a little more neutral sounding and more properly balanced in frequency response, while the larger more powerful PSU adds a noticeable bump in the treble and a maybe small bump in the bass or a small dip in the mids relative to the bass. Combine that with the TWag cable on my JH13Pro and it becomes brighter than I like. It sounded good with the HD600 though.

I switched back to the stock PSU today and I clearly prefer the stock PSU, especially with my HE-5 or JH13Pro and the built-in headphone amp, or when feeding my Protector balanced portable amp. I would imagine the larger PSU is just what the HD650 would need, but I don't have one to test with it. I think I might need to get an HD650 just to have around when testing gear for synergy.

The HDP is definitely travel friendly, and I can grab mine and move it around anywhere in the house to use with my Macbook, but it would be even better if it had an option to run just off USB power when not needing a lot of power.

PS: I have to add that the HDP is quite good with JH13Pro with stock PSU, and sounds very close to my Protector balanced amp with them.

May 25, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #711 of 1,670

Quote:

Hi HeadphoneAddict,

Can you please elaborate how close are the HDP amp to that of TWAG balanced+Protector? Is it intensive A-B comparison close / pay attention close / clearly noticeable but still close?

FYI, just ordered the JH13+HDP and looking at Protector+TWAG for synergy. The TWAG was regarded as a huge improvement to the stock cable and the Protector was said to offer minor refinement to the sound. I was under the impression the combination will be well worth the additional $775 investment for the $1100 custom. Now, if diminishing returns kicks in and the extra 70% money does not bring it to a whole new level / sounds like a different beast / JH13 on steroids etc, I like to save some money, for later. 
wink.gif

ps. may proceed with TWAG though as it seems to be worth the 30% price-for-performance. Can someone comment on the SE TWAG or thinks otherwise?

I'm not sure I can describe it better - If you twist my arm for an answer then I'll say that with very intense A/B I was able to tell whether I was listening to the HDP or the Protector, but I would guess wrong many times.  This is with the JH13Pro/TWag cable, and using a TWag single ended adapter in the HDP.  However, with the Westone ES3X the HDP sounded a little better as the sound is slightly less aggressive sounding than with the Protector.  Switching to the HD600 the two amps became very close again.  On the other hand, if I compare my ALO Amphora to either of these then I can more easily hear the improvement with the Amphora.  I may try this experiment again later, as I'm curious now if the problem was just listening fatigue, where after a long listening session everything starts to sound the same.

The TWag cable is certainly worth it, and you can always get it balanced with a single ended adapter so you can use it with all amps.

May 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #712 of 1,670
Thanks HPA for your clarification.

My guess is with the JH13 being much easier to drive, synergy is not so much a problem unlike full-sized cans. So the main advantage of adding the protector/pico slim is for portability, black background and balanced left/right channel at low volume listening, correct?

May 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #713 of 1,670

Quote:
Thanks HPA for your clarification.

My guess is with the JH13 being much easier to drive, synergy is not so much a problem unlike full-sized cans. So the main advantage of adding the protector/pico slim is for portability, black background and balanced left/right channel at low volume listening, correct?

Yes.

May 30, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #714 of 1,670
So there is no online store that ship this internationally right? what a shame :frowning2:

May 30, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #715 of 1,670
The price that http://www.audioaffair.co.uk have is actually pretty good. About the same as buying from Nuforce on Ebay, and a bit cheaper than my local store here in Stockholm.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #718 of 1,670
I've recieved my HDP today. What the hell is wrong with these pots? I have been waiting for 2 months to get it and now, there's channel imbalance until 11 o'clock on the pot or so... As my friends had got various issues with these pots too, is there anybody who get his fully working, without any problems?

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #720 of 1,670
I had the same problem as jeycam but I got a replacement a week or so ago.  The imbalance goes away past 9 o'clock and so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back