REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Mar 16, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #796 of 1,534
It disturbs me that you can lock the keyboard by using the ''hold'' button but that this does nothing to the volume knob. More often than not I am listening to the HM 601 whilst it is in my pocket.When biking it happens sometimes that  the volume goes up due to hitting the volume knob by some kind of leg movement/other device in my pocket movement. As a result I have to get this bulky MP3 player out of my pocket.  This can take some effort if that pocket also contains my mobile and/or iPod. I first thought this player was portable because I didn't see the problem of the size and weight, but now I agree on it being just semi-portable.

By the way, yesterday I was listening to my HM601 whilst biking and my brother called me on my cellphone. I did not feel the vibrate function of my cellphone, but because my HM601 reacted to my mobile phone (produces other sound) I knew someone was trying to reach me.I think the HM601 usually only reacts to cell phones when they are (very) near to each other, but I might be wrong. It is the same sound as when a cellphone reacts to a computer btw.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #797 of 1,534
ugh - I know you wanted to take that call, but I cringe as I imagine hearing that static through IEMs. :wink:  but you wouldn't pedal while on the phone anyway, right? you might be able to prevent the volume control from accidentally being rubbed in a pocket if you put the hifiman inside sth else, like the pouch it came with.

I have to disagree with the comments about portability; my pants or jackets hold the hifiman without issues. I wouldn't recommend that anyone use the UE11Pro or similarly bassy headphones with the 601 though, unless your music specifically calls for it (like, say, reggae or dub or some funk). on most things I listened to yesterday they were too stompy. fun, but a bit much. back to neutral flavors for better synergy.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #798 of 1,534

Quote:
those who have the 601: do you amp or not?

Quote:
I don't, though I may add a pico slim or an arrow one day

Have you listened to the 601 with your pico or tomahawk? If so I would be very interested in your impressions

I have both the Tomahawk and the Pico Slim and I feel, the headphone out is just as good as using the line out with one of the 2 amps. One last thing to tether and carrt around,

I do, however, use my Slim and my Shadow with my Nano with ALAC files.

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #799 of 1,534
well, with the UE11Pro none of my amps improve over the 601's headphone out, except in terms of slightly finer volume control. without amp, I'm maxed out at 3. with amp, I may have a longer signal path but I get a little more latitude. verdict: not really worth it.

with my UERM, I'm now using the high gain for a few days on the 601, which gives me a sound that's a bit more hot, it works on some recordings where I felt the UERM was a tad lean (but keep in mind I'm going between the 11 and the RM and between electronica and classical music, too - a lot of variables).

this may mean I'm going to be sending a portable amp or two to the FS forums soon :wink:

Quote:
I have both the Tomahawk and the Pico Slim and I feel, the headphone out is just as good as using the line out with one of the 2 amps. One last thing to tether and carry around,

I do, however, use my Slim and my Shadow with my Nano with ALAC files.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #801 of 1,534

Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion on the HiFI HM601 and the Ultrasone Pro 900's combo. How do you think the two of these would work together.

Generally I do not like the sound of the 900s, but with the HM601 it sound much better. It is less bright. I have to admit, that I did not mod the Ultrasones, so it is the stock sound.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #802 of 1,534
I just wanted to say that I am getting my money back from UPS as I did not have to pay C.O.D. (for the replacement adapter priced $2) after all.
After I e-mailed and phoned them they were very helpful, I just filled in the form for creditback and sent it back to them.
As for HiFiman, they have ignored me ever since my last e-mail (x months ago), shame on them!
They have a whole lot to learn about what customer service is about, if you ask me. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #803 of 1,534
Quote:
I just wanted to say that I am getting my money back from UPS as I did not have to pay C.O.D. (for the replacement adapter priced $2) after all.
After I e-mailed and phoned them they were very helpful, I just filled in the form for creditback and sent it back to them.
As for HiFiman, they have ignored me ever since my last e-mail (x months ago), shame on them!
They have a whole lot to learn about what customer service is about, if you ask me. 

sorry to hear you are experiencing some issues. however, I should add that I had excellent experiences with them - Fang emailed me right back twice, and their shipping was superfast too, so I have no complaints about their US representation at all, on the contrary I'm pretty impressed so far.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #804 of 1,534
Thanks for the info. Did you let the Pro 900's break in or was the listen right out if the box. I've read that they tend to do that for about 200 hours before things smooth out. I actually don't have them in my possession yet because of the backorder on them (waiting for 2 months now). I already own the Pro 650's, so I figure I will use them for right now. I've also read that the 601 is a bit quirky in operation. Is that true? I just purchased a Sony mp3 player, which the sound sucks (as I knew it would). The Sony is going back today, I ordered the 601 Friday of last week, so I will get it tomorrow. Until last Thursday, I was still using my portable cd player with the 650's.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #806 of 1,534

Quote:
The above post was for Rafa. Thanks again.

I have them now I think about 1,5 years. When I got them, I let them burn in for about 150 hours with pink noise. Afterwords I listened with alltogether maybe 30 hours. Tonight I will sit down and listen to pro 900 + HM 601 Combo, so I can tell you more.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #807 of 1,534
I don't mean to interrupt the conversation but I have a quick question. Is there an absolute difference in sound quality between a player like the hifi-601 versus an iPod + LOD + high quality external amp?

I happen to own an iPod touch, but I'm starting to regret it! People (smart people) warned me against it because of limitations that I didn't understand until now. So I ordered an amp (TTVJ Slim) to compensate for poor sound quality, but now I'm thinking I could have saved a ton of money by buying the Hifiman ...

can I at least take comfort in knowing that my set up, though perhaps overpriced, is at least nearly as good, in terms of SQ, as something like the Hifiman (not taking into consideration any differences in file quality, i.e., comparing mp3 to mp3)?

Not trying to hijack thread and not looking for iPod haters, just an objective evaluation based on fact. I'm no mac fanboy but I don't want input from people that just bash iPod because they hate mac ... even if they have perfectly good reasons for hating mac, LOL ....

Thanks

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #808 of 1,534

Quote:
I don't mean to interrupt the conversation but I have a quick question. Is there an absolute difference in sound quality between a player like the hifi-601 versus an iPod + LOD + high quality external amp?

I happen to own an iPod touch, but I'm starting to regret it! People (smart people) warned me against it because of limitations that I didn't understand until now. So I ordered an amp (TTVJ Slim) to compensate for poor sound quality, but now I'm thinking I could have saved a ton of money by buying the Hifiman ...

can I at least take comfort in knowing that my set up, though perhaps overpriced, is at least nearly as good, in terms of SQ, as something like the Hifiman (not taking into consideration any differences in file quality, i.e., comparing mp3 to mp3)?

Not trying to hijack thread and not looking for iPod haters, just an objective evaluation based on fact. I'm no mac fanboy but I don't want input from people that just bash iPod because they hate mac ... even if they have perfectly good reasons for hating mac, LOL ....

Thanks

Yes...there is a big, big difference. If you value musicality, then the Hifiman should be on your must buy list.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #809 of 1,534
Thanks for the reply! So, the amp in the Hifi is better than something like Headstage Arrow or TTVJ Slim?

Would you mind explaining why there is such a big difference?

Why would anyone use iPod + amp @ $500+ when they could just get the Hifiman for half price?

I guess I AM hijacking the thread ... sorry

I'm just confused because I paid $350 for a TTVJ and $200 for iPod and I kinda hoped that it would produce at least decent sound ....

Does the Hifiman benefit at all from having an external amp like the TTVJ Slim? Or is this redundant?

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #810 of 1,534
Quote:
Why would anyone use iPod + amp

there are many people who much prefer the iPod interface, usability, battery life, its other features (games, video, etc), and more; and many people still like using their (often lower-resolution) MP3 libraries, rather than get into higher rez and flac and the like, which is the Hifiman's territory. yet others (as you can see on head-fi and elsewhere) are not entirely happy with the functionality of the newer generation of DAPs. in addition, there are many who believe that the most recent iPods have improved in sound quality so as to narrow the gap to iMod or Hifiman or other premium DAPs a bit. everyone has their own equation, where sound quality does not absolutely trump convenience (or we wouldn't be talking about portable players at all here), and other factors are in play (including the question of what headphones you use and what kinds of music files you play).

for what it's worth, I still use my iPod and my iMod, although I am very enthusiastic about the HM-601 too. and yes, the Hifiman can benefit from a portable amp via the line-out, depending on your headphones of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back