Some one let me borrow it for 2 weeks please
biggrin.gif

Edit:  I meant the 801s, but 601 too
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #828 of 1,534

Quote:
Does it play 88.4 kHz files?
The tech info only states 96 kHz.

Nuh uh. All 3 models in the HM series do not play 88khz files. I met David Chesky and asked him why he chooses 88.1 over 96 on some of his downloads and he said it has something to do with the original recording masters.

On the CD that was made exclusively for Head-Fi there us a track (I believe it is #8), it skips right over it. But there is simple software to change the rate for the HM series.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #829 of 1,534
Quote:
Nuh uh. All 3 models in the HM series do not play 88khz files. I met David Chesky and asked him why he chooses 88.1 over 96 on some of his downloads and he said it has something to do with the original recording masters.

On the CD that was made exclusively for Head-Fi there us a track (I believe it is #8), it skips right over it. But there is simple software to change the rate for the HM series.

Thanks, that was a sad but clear answer.
I don't know how well these resamplings perform SQ-wise, so I thought I might just make 88,2kHz files into 44,1kHz (24bit).
However that would turn a hi res file into something close to a standard cd format (except for the bit depth).
What software would be a good choice? (preferably free, that is)

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #830 of 1,534

Quote:
I don't know how well these resamplings perform SQ-wise, so I thought I might just make 88,2kHz files into 44,1kHz (24bit).
However that would turn a hi res file into something close to a standard cd format (except for the bit depth).

Yes but look at it this way.  You've opened up a whole new world of higher quality mastering and content as well.  

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #831 of 1,534

Quote:

larshp, there's a lot of software for transcoding, and it depends on what kind of computer you use (and in some cases what kind of input and output formats you have, not all software I tested does all formats, or all formats equally well). in the end one major reason for me to get a hifiman hm-601 was that it's easiest to have hardware that plays hi-rez software, whether your own recordings at higher rates, or audiophile downloads. - however, I forgot which label was making it available, but I have some 24-192.flac test files from a high-rez record label website that I tried to convert to various other formats, including one that would play on my iPod, and I'm not convinced I've found the one best software for all such tasks. currently I like both Max and XLD, which you find compared at many sites, including here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/audio-converters-for-mac-max-vs-xld

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #834 of 1,534

larshp, there's a lot of software for transcoding, and it depends on what kind of computer you use (and in some cases what kind of input and output formats you have, not all software I tested does all formats, or all formats equally well). in the end one major reason for me to get a hifiman hm-601 was that it's easiest to have hardware that plays hi-rez software, whether your own recordings at higher rates, or audiophile downloads. - however, I forgot which label was making it available, but I have some 24-192.flac test files from a high-rez record label website that I tried to convert to various other formats, including one that would play on my iPod, and I'm not convinced I've found the one best software for all such tasks. currently I like both Max and XLD, which you find compared at many sites, including here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/audio-converters-for-mac-max-vs-xld

Thanks for your input. I don't use Mac, so I don't think I can use the software you recommend.
What I am looking for is a software that works on Windows and is able to convert f.i. a 24bit 88.2kHz FLAC file into 96kHz.
My initial concern was and is a theoretical distortion(?) when converting 88.2 into 96kHz.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #835 of 1,534
you might have better luck downsampling it to 44.1 khz. seems like it would be easier and safer to do than upsampling.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your input. I don't use Mac, so I don't think I can use the software you recommend.
What I am looking for is a software that works on Windows and is able to convert f.i. a 24bit 88.2kHz FLAC file into 96kHz.
My initial concern was and is a theoretical distortion(?) when converting 88.2 into 96kHz.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #837 of 1,534
Hi everyone,

I'm a HM601 Lover, and i use it with great delight with my Earsonics EM2-Pro.

The only annoying thing to me now, is that my files are shown in disorder. Which TAG do i need to delete if I want the Hifiman to display tracks with correct alphabetical order (ie. 01 - track1 / 02 - Track 2 / etc ...)

Many thanks in advance, i made a research on the topic, but i did not found a clear answer to that.

Fantastic sounding player btw, my J3 is really no match for him.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #838 of 1,534
I simply add the track no. in the start of the file name to get the tracks in order.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a HM601 Lover, and i use it with great delight with my Earsonics EM2-Pro.

The only annoying thing to me now, is that my files are shown in disorder. Which TAG do i need to delete if I want the Hifiman to display tracks with correct alphabetical order (ie. 01 - track1 / 02 - Track 2 / etc ...)

Many thanks in advance, i made a research on the topic, but i did not found a clear answer to that.

Fantastic sounding player btw, my J3 is really no match for him.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #839 of 1,534
How is the bass on the HIFIMAN 601? I like electronic, electro, breaks, metal and rap so I am after the sub bas shaking in my ears. thanks all.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #840 of 1,534
How is the bass on the HIFIMAN 601? I like electronic, electro, breaks, metal and rap so I am after the sub bas shaking in my ears. thanks all.

Then you will probably like the HM-601. I think it's bass would be perfect for that kind of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back