REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 9, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #271 of 1,534
I'll say they probably revised the balanced plug back to single end because so many people want it to be single ended.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #272 of 1,534
Woah what the....

Perhaps the balanced version was the limited unit, but this version with the standard plug is going to be a the actual unlimited release. This reminds me of what happened to the MD Tributes.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #273 of 1,534
May be.  They are making a balanced amp module for the HM801 though, which used the same kind of balanced socket can be used with original RE-ZERO.

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #275 of 1,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyanm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Andrew -- you might try going into the settings and increase your power off timeout.  Or maybe the problem settles out once you have your card plugged in for a while...

Thanks, tried a variety of settings, but that hasn't fixed it.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #276 of 1,534
I agree, I like the way you described that.  Smooth and yet very clear and high resolution without being harsh.  

Quote:
A gross oversimplification.  Smooth, full, rich versus edgy, harsh and brittle.  Usually warmer as well.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #277 of 1,534

I'm assuming you are using a Class 4 card?  Well, good luck -- I guess you can always return it!  I haven't had any problems since the first day, even though I'm using my microSDHC w/adapter.

Quote:

Thanks, tried a variety of settings, but that hasn't fixed it.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #278 of 1,534
Maybe I'm crazy, but on mine I can go into the "Albums" section and pick an album to listen to if I want to...

Quote:
since I prefer to only listening to albums and not random lists! 
But if anyone has a quick solution to how to tag correctly I will very much appreciate this?

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #279 of 1,534
Does anybody know what formats are supported on the HM-601 besides FLAC and MP3 of course?  I'm trying to configure up my MediaMonkey and I can't find the formats supported!

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #280 of 1,534

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
What 32gb sdhc card are you using? I haven't had a issue with my sdhc card so I would try using different cards. Also what jack extension are you talking about? My 601 didn't come with any jack extension.

Using a Verbatim class6 SDHC 32GB card. I'm pretty upset at the moment actually. After the 601 stopped reading files off it, I went ahead and tried to pull my flac files from the card. Well, my computer was unable to open the SD partition at all. This is on a win7 machine. So, I tried it on my laptops card reader (XP), and same thing. It shows up as an empty card that cannot be opened. Great, so the card data has somehow been wiped completely. So, I try to format the card and BAM!

"Unable to format card"

I try this from another machine...same error. Wow, so now I'm out of a 32GB SDHC card that cost me a pretty penny. I'm going to the store this afternoon and pick up an inexpensive 8gb or 16gb card and try this out again.

The jack extension is a black 3" cable that has a male and female 3.5 mm jack on it. I cannot use IEMs directly into the 601's audio jack unless I have this extension connected to it (I get no sound at all when connected directly to the audio jack). Of the 3 full sized headphones I used, audio either goes to the left or no audio at all. If I use the cable extension, it works fine, just like my IEMs.

Head-Direct / HiFiMAN says that class 4 is the highest that works. In other words - your class 6 SDHC card is not (fully) compatible.

Ouch!! Yes, this appears to the be the problem after some testing. Wow, I'm somewhat surprising that class 4 SDHC is the limit for this DAP. I tried another class 6, 8gb card and I experienced the same issues. I'm now using an old 16 GB micro SD card (with an SD card adapter) that is working perfectly fine now, but overall, I'm a bit dissapointed that we are limited to this older gen card technology. I priced some class 4 SDHC cards on Amazon and found them to be about 25% more expensive when compared to their class 6 and above counterparts. This is probably due to the lower production levels and consumer demand of class 4 SDHC cards in general. Hopefully, this is firmware related.

Switching topics to my jack issue on the 601, after forcing some pressure into the audio jack for some time, I am now able to listen to most of my 3.5mmheadphones with the 601. Appears to have been a fitting issue with the female connector and the casing. Hopefully, it will continue to work properly without any continued hampering. 

I love the sound signature of the 601, and I must admit,  this in itself outweighs the hardware issues I have been experiencing. I'm going to be working on my video review now, but to be honest with my 601 user experience, I will have to point out the issues I have found with the product, despite its amazing sound quality.

For everyone else reading this post, please don't expect the exact same problems I had. It may just be a quality control fluke, or perhaps something that occurred during shipping. I have yet to read other 601 owners experiencing my exact problems, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

Happy listening!

-dave

**Update - DT990/600 cans are still completely unusable with the 601. BUT, the AKG k701's sound absolutely amazing. I'm astonished that the low sensitivity of the K701's are driven perfectly fine with this DAP. Lovely combo.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #281 of 1,534

Quote:
Does anybody know what formats are supported on the HM-601 besides FLAC and MP3 of course?  I'm trying to configure up my MediaMonkey and I can't find the formats supported!

I have been able to use these formats; MP3, WMA, OGG VORBIS, FLAC, APE and WAV, when I tried to use WMA lossless I had to reset the player. 

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #282 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

How does one describe something that sounds analog? I've been seeing that to describe the HifiMan daps but no clue as to what that really means.

A gross oversimplification.  Smooth, full, rich versus edgy, harsh and brittle.  Usually warmer as well.

Maybe oversimplifying things but that helps. Maybe I'll day I'll listen to analog for myself..but that won't be anytime soon.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #283 of 1,534

Quote:
Ouch!! Yes, this appears to the be the problem after some testing. Wow, I'm somewhat surprising that class 4 SDHC is the limit for this DAP. I tried another class 6, 8gb card and I experienced the same issues. I'm now using an old 16 GB micro SD card (with an SD card adapter) that is working perfectly fine now, but overall, I'm a bit dissapointed that we are limited to this older gen card technology. I priced some class 4 SDHC cards on Amazon and found them to be about 25% more expensive when compared to their class 6 and above counterparts. This is probably due to the lower production levels and consumer demand of class 4 SDHC cards in general. Hopefully, this is firmware related.

I have one class 4 and one class 6 16GB and both work on my 602. The issue is less of what class the SD  it is in, but rather whether it is compatible with the player. The safest way is to check out the 801 SD card list in the HD sub-forum before buying.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #284 of 1,534
This Transcend card is relatively well priced, at 32gb. It isn't confirmed though, but it will most likely work since it's class 4 and other Transcend cards worked well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back